Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
HTOP Planamar
11 Posts
Well done on getting the upgrade :tup just goes to show that a bit of polite perseverance and a review can do the trick. Although I think it can go either way with reviews on TA and often if the hotel managers complain enough they seem to be able to get them deleted. :(
Hi Jim,
Just booked a 10 day AI stay at the Planamar, I noticed the date on this post is 2005 but I've read other reviews of yours and just wondered if you'd stayed at the Planamar since. We're going in mid August with Ferris (been many times with Ferris in the past), me and the wife, my daughter (19) and son (14). Just wondered what it was like for youngsters and to get an honest oppinion on what the food etc was like.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forums j- clatwoo :tup

Jim's post (this one is Dec 2013 )
j-clatwo
this is a basic 3* hotel that does what it says on the tin.
it has the feel of a family hotel -a good few of the staff are related- rather than a chain hotel.
the food is ok, nothing fancy, well cooked but the salads are not as good as the RB. the fish choices are usually excellent.
the bar staff are excellent and will chat with you when they can and the cleaning staff do a great job.
the pool is ok but may be a bit crowded in the peak season.
they have the usual night time entertainment, which can be a bit naff at times but there are plenty of bars nearby for a change of scenery.
the eureka usually has quiz and karaoke and the robin hood does karaoke as well. you will be able to take your son in them. there are some bars/clubs suitable for your daughter if she wants to go out without you.
room choice is subjective, but i prefer a front room, despite it possibly being a bit noisy late at night as their is a nightclub nearby. the rooms at theback are above the staff entrance, the rubbish bins and the goods entrance and can be noisy early morning -the bins get emptied around 6am- and dont get any direct sun but they have a nice view of the hills.
basically expect a bed and to be fed and anything else is what you make it.
if HTOP behave i expect to be back there at easter
well, i have returned to this hotel having had assurances from Ferris that if the hotel did not open on time this year i would be able to change my dates to avoid the possibility of being moved again.
Arrived on 19/04/14 and my mate and i were given an upgrade to AI Gold for the hassle i had last year which was very much appreciated.
all the rooms have had a paint job over the winter and there is now a new bigger lift which is much faster than before and never broke down at all while we were there.
speaking to others in the hotel who had the gold card i was told that they had paid €5 per day for this which is a lot cheaper than it used to be. it may be worth checking this out as the benefits -including access to the Amaika if that is your thing- of being able to get branded drinks is worthwhile. no more headaches from cheap spanish vodka is a big plus!
:tup On the upgrade Jim. Thanks for your report :cheers
Hi Jim
I stayed in appartments in Malgrat about 20 years ago and I'm going back this year staying at the Planamar. I remember Malgrat as being slightly quieter than the other Costa Brava resorts I stayed at, with the execption being Pineda, is it still quiet there? Also just wondered what the food was like this year and what the journey was like etc.
Thanks
j-clatwo

journey was the same as normal. they stop a couple of times on the way down before changing drivers at nimes around 5am and then a breakfast stop around 7 am with arrival in resort around 9-11am.
they tend to drop at lloret then malgrat with calella last.

Malgrat is a bit quieter than calella or lloret but there is still enough open to keep most people happy. plenty of bars/restaurants to go to at night for a change from the hotel. try the crown and anchor for breakfast when you arrive and the eureka bar at night.

the food at the planamar is normally very well cooked with the usual choices of fish, beef, chicken and pork. their fish is normally excellent.it can get a bit boring at times and you occassionally get nights when the choices leave a bit to be desired -chicken nuggets and pizza and sausages- but you get fed.this hotel has all the appearance of a family run hotel and all the staff are friendly and helpful, especially if you talk to them rather than treat them as servants like some nationalities seem to do.

i am sure you will have a good time.

i agree that we could do with a few more reviews for this hotel (and others in the area), so it would be good if you could update us when you return. i have reviewed this hotel at least 3 times already so not much more i can say about it, but i will do a review later this year
Thanks Jimd-f.
The Planamar have had really good reviews on trip advisor this year, lots of people saying it's really good value for money and I suppose when all is said and done that's all I'm after. I've been with Ferris plenty of times and I can honestly say I've never had a bad holiday. Hotels have always been good and I love the journey even though most people can't understand why, prefer it to flying and always treat it as part of the holiday. Just over 10 weeks to go now so really starting to count down now. Been looking for another trip towards the end of October but I think I'll book it nearer the time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.