Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hurricane Irma
12 Posts
Well it looks as if Baracoa has taken quite a battering from Hurricane Irma. Here's hoping that the damage is superficial and that the people there are able to get back on their feet and their city restored as soon as possible. We were hoping to visit there on the middle weekend of our trip to Cuba next month and it seems selfish to say so but I hope that our Casa has escaped too much damage and that we will still be able to go. I was so looking forward to showing my neices another part of Cuba and to introducing them to another great music scene

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2017-09-10 10:31:11
    Edited to remove non-functioning link
To think that so many folks are having to cope with devastation only to find it may not be over yet. The scenes on the news are just horrific.
Not Cuba- but the photos from the British Virgin Islands are just heartbreaking. How long will the people there take to recover?
Click here
Good afternoon guys
we are due to fly out to Cayo Santa Maria on Tuesday with Thomsons all the updates are cancelling flights to Florida with very little information with regards to Cuba, I hope and pray everyone is safe xx
:welcome
I see on their travel information page that people already in Cayo Santa Maria are being moved to Varadero. They probably can't update yet about future travel until the hurricane has passed. Let's hope it isn't as bad as is feared. It's a waiting game for you I'm afraid.
Tracey, according to the satellite pictures, Irma is barrelling through the Cayos off the north coast of Cuba at this very moment and will be moving on past them by tomorrow so I suspect that Thomson are waiting for their local staff on the ground to make an assessment on the conditions at your hotel before making a final decision. Sad to say but I think the reason why they are already cancelling flights to Florida is that they know that the US authorities are not as good as the Cuban authorities in responding to hurricanes plus they will not have wanted to send people out to Florida at the very moment Irma was tracking through the state whereas they know the danger will have passed in Cuba by Tuesday and the issue will be the extent of the damage to the hotel infrastructure and the beach itself.

As Fiona says, it's a waiting game for you at the moment but rest assured the Cuban authorities will not allow TOs to place tourists in danger, hence why they have been moving tourists from the Cayos to Varadero ahead of the storm. Plus they are possibly waiting to hear whether the authorities are actually going to allow them to fly tourists in at all.
I've been following all the news items & updates & my heart goes out to all. Must be horrific to, not only see your home demolished but also everywhere around you as well. Your homeland. :(
I know, Glynis, I feel the same but what always impresses me is just how resilient people prove to be after events like this. The pictures coming in from Baracoa are awful and I'm bracing myself for the news that we won't be able to make our planned visit there but hey- ho, my holiday is not that important on the scale of things compared to what the people actually living there are going through.

http://en.escambray.cu/2017/hurricane-irma-hits-eastern-baracoa/

I've not been in touch yet with the company I booked this through because the 2 key members of staff that deal with trips to Cuba are both married to Cubans and have family out there (in fact one them is booked onto the same flights as we are with her husband and daughter) so I reckon that they have enough worries of their own without me hassling them about a holiday that is still 4 weeks away. I reckon that more than likely we'll still be OK with regards to getting to Santiago and it being back on its feet by then and if needs be, Baracoa can be a treat for another time.
  • Edited by SMa 2017-09-10 10:30:02
I was delighted and relieved to hear firsthand this afternoon that both Santiago and Baracoa escaped with only minimal damage and most importantly, that everybody I know out there is safe and well including all the homestay hosts I've stayed with over the years as well as those we are booked to stay with in Baracoa. They have had very heavy rain and there have been powercuts but heyho, I'll just make sure that I pack some torches in the case :-) It will be like my first trip out there in 2005 post-Derek when powercuts and 'brownouts' were common occurrences. I have very fond memories of the Japanese Buena Vista Social Club tribute band that carried on playing in the dark without missing a beat even when the electricity went off and the PA system went down in the Casa de Trove!

The situation in Havana is not so bright because there has been severe flooding, but again it would appear that the family and friends of people I know from that end of the island are also safe and well but that there has been more structural damage tha in the east of the island because of the flooding in Havana Vieja especially.
  • Edited by SMa 2017-09-11 17:40:15
Excellent news SMa as I know how worried you've been about your friends. 👍
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.