Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I just got back yesterday and will do a review soon when I have caught up with the washing :(

I would have to say that this hotel is a wedding factory for the shell-suit brigade and not "5 star Caribbean elegance". Maybe we were just unlucky but stag and hen parties running amok with flashing bunny ears and customized t-shirts with "Kirsty's Mum" etc on the back is not 5 star by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the mandatory long trousers my partner bought a new pair of chinos for our hols and was spitting feathers when he saw people being allowed into the speciality restaurants with Man Utd tops and 3/4 length trackie bottoms. They were 50 year old overweight men for god's sake. Welcome to long haul Benidorm :yikes
You must have been on chav week as that behaviour did certainly not occur when we were there. The hotel is 5 star sadly tho maybe some of the guests during your stay were not. Also we saw a few older men getting refused entry to the brazilian restaurant for wearing 3/4 khaki trousers.... but yes it did deem like a manufacturing line of weddings
Hi all.

I am currently in the ICD :rofl and the behaviour of guests etc has been really good.No hen or stag parties but there has been a few weddings :cry
I can only say that this is a very good hotel with great food and service.Yes, there is a certain "element" floating about but with no probs.
I will report back in when I arrive home a week on Sunday but until then..... :sun2 !

David
Hi there is so much to read in this forum i couldnt find the answer to the below question, i do apologise if it has already been answered in here somewhere.

All i need to know is do men need to wear long trousers for dinner or can they get away with 3/4 length trousers?

Many Thanks
Hi bannanaboat,
In the leaflet you are given on check-in about all info on hotel it states:-
For dinner gentleman are asked not to use T-tanks or short trousers, elegant bermudas excepted.(Buffet Restaurant)
In our speciality restaurants long trousers are mandatory.
I must admit as a frequent visitor to the ICD on a few occasions I have seen men trying to get in without long trousers, and have been refused and others have probably blagged their way in as I have seen them on leaving the restaurant with 3/4 trousers, but I must admit they were smart ones.
I think sometimes it all depends who is on the door checking bookings.

Angie
Hi all.

Having got back a few weeks ago I can say that the dress (at night) for the "speciality" restaurants is long trousers and gents will get away with 3/4 length trousers in the buffet restaurant, although I did wear cargo type shorts that sat just above the knee.

David
Hi, i was just wondering what plug adaptors i need for my stay at this hotel, are they flat pin or round pin?

Many Thanks
Hi bannanaboat,
Yes you need the flat 2 pin adaptors.

Angie.
hi, off to the ICD tommorow, just been looking at the weather and it's say heavy showers and this is everyday now unteil wednesday, is this during the day or is it at night?

I was hoping for a nice hot holiday and to come back with a tan, is this likely?

Thanks
Hi banana.. most weather sites will forecast showers / thunderstorms at this time of year for the dominican rep and other carribean islands(its rainy season)...... we experienced the odd shower and one downpour whilst there in June, also expect to hear thunder regularly... But out of the 14 days we were there with constant forecasts of rain etc we had 4 days when it rained (3 showery days and one v wet day). So just enjoy the weather will do whatever it wants and there is nothing better than enjoying a cocktail or a brandy sour outside whilst the heavens open up..
Mmmmm

I wish I was at the ICD right now.Rain or no rain.Sitting at the bar in the lobby area,watching the poor pink flamingo's getting soaked while I'm sipping a nice glass of Cuba Libre :cheers !

David
Wish I was there right now, but have to wait until May 7th. Oh well no doubt it will come round soon enough.
I shall have to be there in my dreams instead for the time being :D
Have just come back from Belek in Turkey as hubby and son wanted to play some golf :offtop

Angie
Hi again Angie.

You should have told the "lads" that they could have played golf at the Victoria Golf Resort just along from the ICD whilst you relaxed at the beach with a Cuba Libre!
We ended up staying the night in the Victoria Golf as we had an 11 hour flight delay on the way home.I looked at the V.G. before we booked the ICD and I'm glad we chose the ICD as it is far superior.Considering the V.G. was (I think) 4 star it never came within a million miles of the ICD for standard, service etc. Infact the only good thing about it (as far as I'm concerned) was the lovely golf course.

David
Hi David,
They played the course on our very first visit while I had some me time and drinkies on the beach.The cost is very high once you have paid for buggy hire, Caddie Master and you have to have a Caddie go round the course with you, no buts about it.You are made to take one. I suppose they have to get their money somehow. So no more golf in the Dom. Rep for them.
I agree I dont think you will get another hotel like the ICD for standard or service on the whole of the Costa Dorada or Playa Dorada Complex. :tup
Oh! well only 7 more months to go.

Angie.
Hi Angie
I wish I was going back too!
I'm taking my daughter on holiday with me next year (she stays with her mum) and because she'll be 13, the only (decent) All Inclusive hotel that I could find that still charged a childs price, is in Egypt.So that's where we are going next year.Maybe the follwing year I'll manage to get back to the ICD.I must admit that I was so spoilt that no other hotel will match it and I'm not looking forward to going anywhere else!
I'm going up to Morayshire tonight for a long weekend, so take care for now.

David
Hi David,
Sure will hope you have a good weekend break. Will probably speak more about ICD when you come back.

Angie.
Davy.. the Grand Oasis Marien has kids age up to and including 14 when booking with thomas cook... not a bad substitute for the ICD... we were at the ICD this year but have booked the GOM for next year simply because of the chikd age allowance plus all the really good reviews it has been receiving
Hi jellybaby1969.

I was looking at Cuba.Was getting some good prices but it was a case of "For just a few hundred more we could........." and it was getting higher and higher!
As I had my honeymoon at the ICD this year and booked it well in advance it cost me more than I would normally pay, so I'm trying to keep next years costs down.I'm drawing the line at going to Primrose Valley tho'!
Got booked up for Egypt.We've been before and enjoyed it so we know what to expect.No "wakey wakey.Don't be lazy" being belted out as you're lying at the beach :( .Yes I will miss the ICD! but there's always the following year when it's just the two of us :) .
Must go for now so take care and all the best.

David
Please can you keep this thread for the discussion of the ICD only as it's heading way off-topic and may cause confusion.

Pippy :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.