Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
thanks curry for your indepth reply i cant wait to go just not looking foward to the flight. I look forward to reading your full review :P

Bucks fozz for breakfast eh? ill be drunk by the time i leave the buffet after my full english. lol.

I am planning to document my trip with my new digicam so ill hopefully get some videos and pics up for all to see.

8 weeks and counting, bring it on....
If you are going on a First Choice plane there should be little problem with the flight. They gave us all headphones on the way out, and you needed to keep them for the way back! Some people didn't realise that. The seats were comfortable and there was plenty to occupy the mind with the personal entertainment system. Great post currymonster, brought it all back to me, but we stayed closer to the lighthouse bar as the sand was too hot to walk on a lot of the time! Did they still do the flaming coffees on the way into the entertainment? Only did it a couple of times but very nice. We found the food in the buffet restaurants was as good as the speciality restaurants if you "shopped around"
If you are going on a First Choice plane there should be little problem with the flight. They gave us all headphones on the way out, and you needed to keep them for the way back! Some people didn't realise that. The seats were comfortable and there was plenty to occupy the mind with the personal entertainment system

Sad to say im flying with thomson so ill be stuck in the dark ages. Wished for a while now we had booked through first choice but at the time it seemed like a good idea. Live and learn. Will know better next time.
Sorry , if I had known that I wouldn't have said anything. No point rubbing it in. Meanwhile the hotel and treatment you get there are the same, not sure about the trips. Some like the Outback safari are used by all the TOs.

You should have a great time once you are there!
Hi Guys glad you liked the post, I agree with Steve about Thomson, I thought it was just me and the Mrs who thought First Choice were superior, having experienced their fantastic service in Septwember when we went to Kephalonia. First choice have nice planes with nice clean decor, and seem to employ more experienced reps as opposed to the chicks selling tours scenario.

Dont worry too much about flying thomson they are not too good but it didn't spoil the experience

One other word of advice regarding the Hacienda, which I didn't pay too much attention too before I went, is the rooms do smell a bit on the musty side which I understand is common in all Dom Rep hotels not just this one, I reckon you may do yourself a favour by taking an air freshner as daft as it sounds, you do easily get used to it so dont worry too much. we presently have all our washing brought back with us piled up in the back room waiting for the "clothes basket fairy" :D :D :D at the moment and its adding a certain slight musty scent to our room.

HTH and inspite of the above you are still a lucky sod to be going soon to a place I have been pining over all day today...my first day back at work :x

PS didn't see the coffee steve, but the regular stuff they hand out was yummy...better than uk stuff....and Pingu be very very very prepared to be spoilt to death at the quality of EVERYTHING connected with the IHD as I said to the MRS I cannot for the life of me find anything wrong with anything, and I am VERY choosy :D

Cheers CM
I love the IHD...I really can't fault it...you are going at such a good time of year less tourists...check out my online album and see how beautiful it is there :D

http://community.webshots.com/user/beaniebabe65
just a few more questions,

When in the resteraunts that require reservations is there a limit to the time you can spend in there. i.e. Say i have a 8:30pm reservation could i eat my meal then just relax with a few drinks at my table or would they be pusing me out to get other guests in?

How far is it to walk into the local town as i heard there is a few good cigar stalls and what are the directions to get there?

Are you aloud to use the pool and jacuzzi at night or is it up to a set time?

What kind of branded beers/lagers do they have at the bars?

Is it correct that full english breakfasts are served in the steak house at approx 10:30am? And if so what does the buffet offer for breakfast as im a fussy eater and love my full english.

Any other tips that may be of good use to me are very welcome.

Cheers 8)
Hi PinguTM

Restaurants have 2 sittings so later is more relaxed timewise but its no problem as there is a big Lobby bar where everyone gravitates to at night. You just need to pounce if a table comes free as it is so popular.

To get to Dominicus village walk down to beach - turn right and go through the area of local stalls where you will find a track leading inland. Follow the track which soon turns right angles left and then leads straight into village past the back of other hotels. Alternatively walk along beach and out through other hotel grounds if you want to be nosey about where you could have booked but which is not up to IHD standards ( Only the Casa del Mar comes close and that is several miles further on beyond Bayahibe ). Be prepared for invites to see my shop etc,m a firm "No thank you" and keep walking without hesitation works well if you are not interested.

Pool closes for treatment/maintenence around sunset ( around 6.30 - 7 .00 ).

Local beer on tap is Presidente which is the best of the local brands and very acceptable. They serve it ice cold straight from the bottle at the little roadside bar in the village which is excellent.

Most choice for breakfast is the buffet which you will use for at least your first few days as you get over your jetlag. Didnt use Steakhouse for breakfast so can't confirm if full english is available there. Bacon is streaky ( which is all you get anywhere in caribbean - even at Sandals ).

Other tips :-

Beware of mossies under breakfast tables and under pallapas during the day when you might not think to wear repellant !

Wear loads of factor SPF 25 minimum to start with and go easy with tanning for the first few days - you will see some folks that are burnt and that is not what you need spoiling your holiday.

There is a small Pharmacy in the village but if you need any special medication take it with you.

Try the Brandy Alexander at the Lobby bar where they make it with cream out of the coffee cream machine ( but they can run out mid-evening - it is not the same at the other bars as they don't have the cream machine ).

Go on trips - especially the Monster Truck Safari.

Take a taxi to the artists village of Altos de Chavon ( if you dont go there on a trip ) its a 20 min ride and taxi will wait for you - allow about 2 hours to wander round, look at shops, have a drink etc.

Watch the way they drive in Higuey ( during transfer from the airport ) and you will see why you shouldnt hire a car.

Try scubadiving lesson in pool ( Divecentre standards are good ) and a trial dive in the sea if you are OK in pool.

And finally be prepared for 3rd world conditions in most of Dom Rep - you will see what I mean when you see Higuey. But don't be put off and think it is unsafe, we have never had any bother in 6 visits all over the DR. The tourist boost to their economy is huge so they are keen not to get a bad press. However it is sensible not to flash cash or wear expensive watches/jewelery outside the hotel. Security guards are primarily to keep the locals out of the hotels ( and not have free drink/food ) and not to keep you in or keep you safe

But most of all just relax and enjoy

Scubaman
thanks for thae post scubaman :D
Hi Scubaman,

Sorry just a couple of questions while some others have come up. We are going in June, Hubbie,me, daughter & Hubbie and our two grandchildren. One of the grandchildren is 5 a few days after we get there and we want to book one of the restaurants to order a cake etc. They are quite well behaved and love food. Which one would you recommend other than the buffet. Are there any that we would not feel relaxed in with the kids?

The other question I did wonder about was " Do we have to wear armbands" Hoping not, but expecting it to be yes. Have not been to a resort in the caribbean yet where we have had to but I am sure it will come.

I know what you mean about the morning mossies had that in Cuba last year. They hang out around the bushes. Have not found this anywhere else.

Would be interested to know what other Islands/resorts you have been to. I have been to nearly all the caribbean Islands but not all. Antigua (my favourite) Barbados, Tobago, Grenada, St Lucia, Plus some others on a cruise. I just love the info as I love the caribbean.

Thanks for your help
Hi Sue

The Gourmet is rather formal for youngsters. The Japanese is spectacular and excellent quality too but maybe not for a 5 year olds birthday party. Personally I would go for the Steakhouse in your shoes but have a good look at them all before you decide.

Armbands - I'm afraid so at IHD. We didn't have to wear them at Casa Del Mar ( other side of Bayahibe ) or at Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica so not all resorts require them.

Have been to Dom Rep 6 times ( Puerta Plata once, Boca Chica once, Bavaro once and Bayahibe 3 times ). Also St Lucia, Barbados,Jamaica and Grand Bahama and spent a day in a huge Cartamaran sailing round the grenadines.

You cant beat Dom Rep for value for money but St Lucia was beautiful and had the best dive sites.

Where next ? Mallorca in 2 weeks time, Rome in June and Croatia in Sept/Oct then a Christmas Market in December. After that probably Cape Verde Islands, Borneo or Botswana for a safari - no decision yet !

Enjoy IHD ( you will )

Scubaman
PS If you havn't read the earlier posts on this thread you should find them helpful
Where next ? Mallorca in 2 weeks time, Rome in June and Croatia in Sept/Oct then a Christmas Market in December. After that probably Cape Verde Islands, Borneo or Botswana for a safari - no decision yet !

lol, are you a millionaire scubaman. it seems you are always jetting off somewhere. Lucky sod!!
Hi PinguTM,

Not a millionaire by any means but this Saturday on the Lottery maybe .......

No, have taken early retirement so I am able to spend time finding the best deals.

The Mallorca flights with JET2 out of Leeds/Bradford were booked in July 2005, the first day that booking was possible, so cost £57 return and early season hotel costs are very reasonable too. So total cost around £300pp for 9 nights inc flights and quality 4* hotel on B/B. Car hire through http://www.carjet.com who take some beating for price in Spain/Portugal.

Having been in Yorkshire for 12 years I have picked up some of the local characteristics. They do say that Yorkshire folk are like the Scots only with the generosity kicked out of them !!!!!!!!!

Be very jealous

Scubaman
Can someone tell me is plug adapters can be bought on site for uk plugs

thanks
Room plug sockets were in short supply ( in our room anyway, only the lampstand socket was available) so as we had one adapter we didn't look for more. Can't say that I remember seeing any. If you haven't got one already, I think my daughter bought hers very reasonable from either Wilkinsons or Aldi, they do sell them in the airport which is after you have had your hand luggage weighed!

Have a good time.
Can you email your restaurant reservations direct to the hotel in
advance as you can with some other hotels i.e the melia hotels?
I personally wouldn't bother unless it is a special occasion.
the food in the buffet was good and you can then book fairly easily once you are there.
We had one meal in the A la cartes and just ate in the buffets from there on.
We don't feel we missed out on any extra enjoyment.
Get a nice quiet spot and it is fine.
well guys the time has come for me to go to IBHD :D

Although i fly out on Monday i am leaving home tomorrow for reasons i wont bore you with so i though i would post my farewells now. I would like to thank everyone for all the info they have given me over the last year which has been very informative. I Just hope the weather is good and the hotel lives up to its reputation and i end up with a great tan. When i return hopefully i will get some videos and pics posted.

Cheers
Hi everyone, i've been looking at this hotel for october next year ,i know it's a long time away but this years already sorted (jamaica :D )
I've read through all the reviews on here and trip advisor but non of them really seem to mention if it's good for the kids.
I know they're building the village and that will probably be good for the kids but is there any other hotels you would recomend on the island (east or south side please).
Also i've tried to mock book on eclipse and FC and they're both saying that no flight's are available,does this seem right that it's all booked up already?

Many thanks for your time and i look forward to your reply's
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.