Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
take US dollars rather than pasos :D
more on IHD can be found here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=50694
a few more questions, [i want to be 100% prepared for my trip in may :D ]

can anyone tell me how much the safe costs to hire for 2 weeks?

can you buy cigars (cohiba's / monte cristos) on premisis, if so how much? - and can you buy them from any vendors or elsewhere any cheaper?

probably a daft question but in the piano bar is there actually anyone playing on the piano nightly or is the piano just there for show?

like some hotels in the DR does the IHD let in the locals say once a week to use the facilities etc and do they run amok?

would any of the bartenders / workers take offense if i asked them if they could get my any cigars on the cheap 8) :lol:

do the bars have a list of what cocktails / drinks they serve? (as i heard they didnt)

cheers
They love their dollars over there but you do need to check you are getting a decent exchange. The village of dominicus has some cigar shops which are probably cheaper than the hotel. There is also supposed to be a good shop in the next hotel along but we never went that way.

We came back from a trip in a taxi one day and he picked up a local couple as we dropped the other people off in Domincus. As they were sitting in the front, the Hotel Security wouldn't even let the Taxi in the drive. They are very particular! and I never saw any non guests.

Can't remember with the safe but it was one or 2 dollars a day I think.
There was entertainment in the piano bar but we didn't spend a lot of time there as we ate just after 8 then went into the shows, at the end of which we were wiped.

They did have a cocktail list, which I worked my way through. The cocktails were better from the waitresses than they were from the bar staff. The piano bar did a very nice daiquiri naranje? which was rum, triple sec and orange filled with crushed ice. Don't call it a dakari as they can't understand and you get campari and a few other things best used in car engines. At quiet times the staff were very friendly so it could be raised in conversation, but I would have thought they would not be able to do any such transactions on the premises in case the intentions were mistaken.

Currymonster, we too chilled out. We went on the the saona island trip which was pleasant but get on the coastal side of the catamaran on the way to the island.

The Outback Safari also gave us the best meal and even though the waves at Macao Beach were small we all had a great laugh bodyboarding.

Watch out for the pool bar, very easy to get hammered!

We found out on the last day but breakfast is served in the restaurant from 7 until 10 ish. then they do english breakfasts as well in the steak house until 11, which also has the ice cream machine at the far end of the counter in the afternoons. The steak house was disappointing but you do have to go and get your own side salads at the start. We ended up with just plates of meat!
cheers for the reply steve. going for 2 weeks relaxation, a couple of excursions and to gain a few extra stone in weight and and also get drunk :D

CANT WAIT :)
Thanks for the replies guys

Will try not to get hammered in the pool bar :wink: :wink:

also will try not to chuck towels used for reserving sunbeds in the pool also :lol: :lol: :twisted:
The hotel provides all the towels so there is nothing to say a towel on its own isn't yours! you have to pay for missing towels though. We were lucky as we prefer the beach and there was always somewhere to go. The pool started off busy, but gaps appeared later. All we did was put the gear in a heap and into the pool bar, didn't bother with poolside sunbeds because the rooms themselves are so close and the heat was such that you didn't need to dry off, just wash the salt and sand off. Take a decent mask and snorkel with you, although they do loan them out from the diver centre, I am not sure how good they are. Watch out if you go to Catalina Island as the flying insects are a real pain, we spent most of the time hiding under water with just our noses showing trying to get away from them.
Can anyone tell me if the hotel has tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms. If not is there anywhere to get a tea or coffee early in the morning. Going early June.
Thanks
Sue
Hi Sue

No tea or coffe making facilities but you can get pretty hot water from the buffet.

Personally ( having been there twice and many trips to caribbean ) we still take our faithful kettle and our own teabags/ coffee anywhere in the caribbean as they often have coffee makers but not really tea making facilities. We even needed our kettle for tea at Sandals !

Enjoy IHD

Scubaman
I think the restaurant opens at 7.00 and you can go in as many times as you want, but the tea and coffee did not taste the same over there, not sure if it was the water or the milk.
We took milk from the buffet for use in the room when making tea and it was fine. Maybe the difference between hot and boiling water ? Or just a taste from the hot water urn.

I reckon a travel kettle is still the best option !

Scubaman
Thanks scubaman, I shall be buying a travel kettle, I presume like travel hair driers they adapt to all voltages? Is there bottled water in the mini bar ? Sorry more questions. I am sure I have more to come.I always take coffee mate wherever I go as well as this tates as normal in coffee.
Thanks
Sue
Hi Sue

Yep - bottled water and soft drinks ( coke sprite etc style ) and I think there was beer too but I may be confusing IHD with somewhere else as far as the beer is concerned. Doubtless Steve can help clarify.

Have just been looking at customer feedback on IHD in the Eclipse brochure and it is excellent which matches our experience.

You will enjoy

Scubaman
Hi Sue

Our travel kettle has a 110/220volt switch and will work on both 50Hz and 60Hz supplies so is fine everywhere. I guess they will all be pretty similar but we have had this one about 15 years so we are probably a bit out of touch with current models.

You will need an adaptor which fits 2 rectangular pins too.

Scubaman
Yes there was beer. To show my limited experience this was the only hotel I have stayed in with an inclusive minibar. You only needed to ring reception for them to arrange refills if you run out of anything. They will also tailor the content to suite. Nothing was too much trouble. One of our party had 4 beers sent along one night to help him sleep, mind you he had been leaving untouched drinks in the reception area. Can thoroughly recommend the Daiquira de Naranje with crushed ice in the lobby bar and the Naranje juice in the restaurant. Be careful though as it is a bit of a laxative. Great advice from the rep who stated that 4 Pina Coladas and you're OK, 5 and you will be going to the toilet - a lot. It's the coconut milk, but luckily they never show that bit on the desert island films!
Don't forget the afternoon chocolate mr whippys in the steak restaurant.
Hi Just back today 14-03-06 anyone wanting any upto the min advice or info please let me know.

CM
hey curry, hope you had a good time. Not long now till i go. :lol:
Just some general Q's....

Was there any problems getting a sunbed at the beach or pool with people reserving them?

What nationality was the majority of holiday makers there?

Is the animation team constantly nagging you to do the activities etc?

Was there any trouble making reservations in the al a carte resteraunts?

Is the pool missing tiles and falling apart like i have read elsewhere?

Can you buy a good sleection of cigars onsite?

Is room service available?

Would the maid stock the minibar up with just beer instead of soft drinks?

Probs a stupid question but is bottled water inc in all inclusive and ease enough to get from the bars/resteraunts?
  • Edited by PinguTM 2006-03-15 15:35:13
Hi CM

Hope you had a great holiday!

Please can you add your review HERE.

Many thanks.

Pippy :D
Hi,

My Wife and I plus our two boys (14 & 12) are arriving at IHD on 3rd April for 2 weeks, anyone else going then?

Cheers,

Tim.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.