Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Same log on problem for me but in the email it tells you that you transfer money from your bank
This is all starting to sound like visa application process.

Why is it that anything like this involving India quickly descends into farce?

In the pack it will say your card will activate when you use it in India.

That is sooooooo worrying, put £5-600 on an India based piece of plastic and only be "certain" it has worked several months/5000 miles later when you get there?

And all because you theoretically get a slightly better exchange rate?

Good old Nationwide debit card for me, may not scoop up the extra few rupees from an off season exchange rate, but your funds stay safe and protected in the UK, and the withdrawal fees are worth it for the ability to draw your funds as required, from a coNvenient local branch of ICICI

By the way, hope those of you who maintain bank accounts in Goa realise that they are only legal while you have a current visa. As soon as that visa expires your "savings" are vulnerable to confiscation. So the 6% approx interest rates could result in the loss of your entire funds..............
Just a quick update regarding the money that I loaded onto my card 11 days ago. guess what it is still not loaded and I ring every day to check the balance. 2 days ago I was told that the card had been loaded but as I no longer trust ICICI I called back to check and was told that my balance was zero!
It appears that the only way to check the balance on your card is to telephone the call center in Hyderabad. They have told me that the internet banking log in only becomes active when the card has been used in an ATM in India, which is a fat lot of good if you are in the UK. If anybody knows differently to this please let me know.
I think that travelers cheques will be fine for me this year certainly a lot less stressful, especially as this card is not covered by the FSA.
Al.
Money finally loaded and a phone call from ICICI to let me know!
Now do I let them have any more of my money :think
This is my point. I can't access the website so the only "confirmation" I have before I get there is an email. (Have loaded £20 test late on Friday so email not yet received). Seems a big risk to to load with nearly £600 but not being able to actually check until you have arrived in India!!!
I contacted the bank today as I had yet to see my test payment hit the card.
My payment was returned to my bank account 4 days after I made the transfer.
The reason for this I now know is when I set their account up on my on-line banking account I let the bank find their account details. These were different to the account the travel card uses so the payment didn't go through.
Bum!
Now the rate is dropping like a stone and I can't change the details till I have phoned my bank.
Looks like cash is king again
Just thought I would give an update on our experience of the ICICI Travelcard

Tried to withdraw money from Axis and Canara bank ATM's
Didn't work in Candolim any way.
I have googled and there appears to be a icici bank in Calangute.
I will try there tomorrow.
I may just withdraw all the money to save the hassle.
I don't know if the card needs to be used in one if their machines first to actvate it.
Axis did show the balance though.
I can see the money. Just can't touch and spend it.

Steve
cheap holiday then Steve if you cant spend anything

:rofl :rofl
Being the guinepig is one thing
Traveling without a plan b would be catastrofic
Made sure the wife had her purse with her.
:D

Will have it sorted in the next day or so

Steve
steve the icici bank is opposite royal foods in calangute you must use an icici bank for the first transaction in india to activate the card ,you can use any bank after, but you will pay charges. icici is free

have had no problems with our cards
Hi Corinnelynne
Thanks for the info.
I googled the address earlier as you said opp Royal Foods.
I half expected as much.
It's about the only thing that lets it down.
It seems many want the ability to check their balance prior to travel just for peace of mind.
If all goes to plan I shall confirm my findings too.
Don't mind paying 25rps to use local. less than the cost of a taxi from Candolim to Calangute.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for the updates!
Reading this with interest as waiting to load last £250 on card.
I have used the card again tonight.
Just for the sake of it
It worked fine in the Candra Bank ATM in Candolim
Got home without being mugged (bonus)
You should be fine.
Just load it up while the rate it high.
I only got 82.something.

Steve
Last word on the Rupee Card....just back after a month in Calangute, loaded up the Rupee Card in August, used it the first time in November no problem, at the ICICI Bank in Calangute.
The only difference being that you put your card in the machine then pull it straight out, unlike the UK where you leave it in while you complete the transaction.
Unfortunately the rate I got in August was 85 rupees to the £, and the rate when we left on the 22nd December was 89!!!!!!!
No career for me then as an international money trader.
Similar for us with the exchange rate we only got 82.
But reloaded ours for the return trip in March. 87.66
Need to get back to Goa to spend it. Lol
DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THIS CARD. If there are any problems do not expect the ICICI branches in India to help you and I have just got a bill from my phone company for £50 ($80) for calling their customer services. They will NOT let you do not in the branch and there is no connection between the branch and the travelcard.

If you do decide to take this card you need to consider the following:

1. make sure you are precise with your transfer details. They wont be able to rectify after you have deposited. When I mean precise, make sure you the name of the applicant and account name exactly match. We got caught out because I applied in my name and the transfer was from our joint account. Even though my name was on the account the computer said 'no'.
2. don't think necessarily that you're getting some sort of superior deal. as it happens, the rate for our card transactions was much better than these guys.
3. they are charlatans and can't communicate.

Yes I accept I perhaps could have got a call card. Yes I accept I should have thought about the transfer account. But honestly - the customer service is atrocious and if you don't have time DO NOT go near this card.

End.
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I had issues loading my card last year as my bank had a different account listed.
A call back request from icici sorted it out job done.
I do find them a hit and hope company as you can only enquire on your balance after the card is activated.
Looks like Candolim will have an ICICI ATM any day now.

We noticed signage going up at the old Hallmark shop near Rising Waves.

That should make activating the card easier for anyone in Candolim.

Still the best place to change cash was Calangute saw 101.90 in one shop last week.
rate dropped down to 100 at Candolim
SteveandJayne wrote:
Looks like Candolim will have an ICICI ATM any day now.

We noticed signage going up at the old Hallmark shop near Rising Waves.

That should make activating the card easier for anyone in Candolim.

Still the best place to change cash was Calangute saw 101.90 in one shop last week.
rate dropped down to 100 at Candolim

Dont forget to ask for larger denomination notes and count them carefully.......... else it makes a mockery of a good exchange rate.

Over the years we have found that the "best rate" establishments are far more likely to accidentally miss out a note or two, and never argue (or recount) when you point this out. Speaks volumes ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.