Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Icmeler
8 Posts
Icmeler is on flat land and is busier than Olu Deniz. If you want busy, busy, then you can always take the dolmus into Marmaris from Icmeler. For more information i've brought forward the Discussion on Icmeler Topic, have a read through it.

Les
We've been to both resorts and personally preferred Olu Deniz although enjoyed both. We found Icmeler to be a larger resort and more spread out whereas Olu Deniz was quite compact in comparison. Icmeler has definately got more bars and restaurants and we thought the quality of restaurants was better in Icmeler. If theres anything specific you want to compare about the two resorts give us some more info and I'll try my best to answer!
I went to Olu Deniz 5 years ago and hated it.
I go to Icmeler every October and love it :tup
The only way you can compare is to go the resort yourself.
I think the workers and locals in Icmeler are the friendlier than those in Olu where we were insulted by a shop owner.
He wasnt only insulting us with his comments but the British holiday makers in general.
The village area of Icmeler is lovely and peaceful and has great restaurants and bars but is only 15 minutes walk to the beach.
There are lots of hotels and apartments in the main part of the resort and quite a few on the beach where you are charged only 2.5tl for a sun bed which is less than the charges in Olu.
The music is turned off at midnight but the bars stay open.
Have a look at the photos etc on Icmeleronline.com.
Hi
We went to Icmeler in 2010, and I must say, it was great. First time I had been to Turkey, although my husband went to Altinkum the year before to try Turkey out. Having been to Altinkum, and then to Icmeler, he preferred the latter. Lovely bars, friendly people. The only draw back, is the long transfer, but it is worth it in the end.
Whilst we were there we made a friend who worked in a restaurant, and we now correspond over the internet. We are planning to go again soon.

All the best
Dawnie-Rob :wave
After going to Icmeler numerous times we decided to try Olu Deniz so went there in September 2009. First impressions of Olu were excellent but after a few days we decided it was 'all mouth and no trousers'.

Whilst Olu was very compact there was no escaping the loud music. Icmeler, whilst still being relatively small has both loud and quiet areas.

The food in Olu wasn't a patch on the food in Icmeler and was much more expensive.

The sunbeds in Olu were 6tl each bed and 6tl for an umbrella - 18tl for a day on the beach is quite expensive when compared to Icmeler where the cost is 2.5tl for each bed and the umbrella is free. It's just about impossible to go in the sea in Olu unless you wear beach shoes. There is a drop of about a foot on entry to the sea and as it's all large pebbles you can't get any purchase without shoes. The waves are very strong so you really need to have some purchase under foot.

Another big difference is the mosquitoes - lots of them in Olu. In Icmeler they spray to keep the mosquitoes down. I am allergic to mosquito bites and ended up covered in nasty bites in Olu even though I had used repellent. I have stopped using repellent in Icmeler and have rarely been bitten.

I have friends who prefer Olu to Icmeler but for me it's Icmeler every time.
We visit icmeler often and have been to olu a couple of times , I would suggest that olu is more upmarket but I feel it is a bit smug a touch of "the emporers new clothes" if you get my meaning.It is purely a holiday resort aimed at the Brits although it is very pretty . Icmeler is brasher and bigger but to my mind has a more friendly feel and the service in all the bars and restaurants is first rate,the beach front is very very pretty as is turunc in the next bay .Icmeler is also primarily a tourist resort don't expect to discover turkey here ,the back streets of marmaris are more authentic lol ,but it is a lovely friendly little place surrounded by wonderful scenery
If it is a low key scenic resort with plenty of bars and restaurants Dalyan may suit your needs it is 20 minutes from the airport ,not over built but still lively enough we love it here
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.