France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
thanks, I did wonder what one you where supposed to get.
They where on the ferry which is handy, at least I've seen what I have to get now.
Halfords are now stocking a pack containing 2 breathalysers that conform with the French requirements. I found them with the other bits of kit for driving abroad in my local store and cost me about £5.
Just got back from 2 weeks south of Bordeaux and we were unable to buy any kits in France everywhere had sold out.

AA at Eurotunnel want £8 for dual pack so would seach and I think you can get cheaper in UK from others.
They are now back in supply in the NE. Check local garages with shops, car centres like Norauto and Leclerc, chemists and even big supermarkets eg Cora and Leclerc.

Fines come into force on 1 November.

Oh and contrary to public folklore, you only need ONE breathalyser in your car ... unused and in date.
Oh and contrary to public folklore, you only need ONE breathalyser in your car ... unused and in date.

In practice you WILL need two.
If you only carry one and use it, then you haven't got an unused one left.
You are supposed to breath test yourself before setting off. If it tests positive then you simply don't use your car. What the police want to see is ONE UNUSED AND IN DATE TEST.
and if it tests negative, you don't have an unused, in date one left... and so are liable for a fine.

edit
just re read your post.
Do you mean that the police will accept an alcohol test that shows negative reading providing it has been used at the commencement of that journey
by "in date" does this refer to some kind of Best Before Date type of thing.

If so, when you go to your car and take out your one in date unused test, blow and pass, then drive away, surely you are not carrying what the law requires anymore, you simply have one used in date test that shows negative.
if the gendarme then asks to provide a further test you are unable to do so
(I assume the tests only work once)

So, in effect you need to have two in the car to start with.
The 'in date' comment does refer to 'use by' dating because the chemicals in the test can become unstable after that time.

Perhaps visitors might need to have two testers in their car. I have one because that is the one that the police want to see and legally has to be there. I don't drink when I'm driving but that's a personal matter.
Alsacienne wrote:
I don't drink when I'm driving but that's a personal matter.

Nor me, I find the glass falls over in the bends! :rofl
Put your G+T in a sports bottle....problem solved!
:tup Mind you you'll probably be bankrupt if you order G&Ts rather than wine, beer or schnapps!! :wave:
It was announced on French radio today, that due to a shortage of supplies, the date for fining drivers who do NOT have an unused, in-date alcohol-content breath testing kit, has been put back.

You now have until 1 MARCH 2013 to get one.

Several people local to me have asked about how many of these breathalysers need to be kept in the car. I went to the local police station. The exact wording of the law is AT LEAST ONE.

This means that you only need ONE unused in-date breathalyser to conform to the letter of the law; there will of course be manufacturers who offer you two in their packaging, but this is NOT a legal requirement.

In any case, if the French police wish you to give a breath sample, they will be using their equipment and this is the only measurement that will count in deciding whether or not you have an excess of alcohol in your system at the time of testing at the roadside.
I have heard this too, but haven't seen anything or heard anything to confirm that this is going to be the legal case. It is a dodgy piece of legislation, but if it makes folk think before they drink (or drink to excess) it will have been worth the paperwork!
Hi Alsa

Have you checked recently ??
Apparently now you are supposed to carry an unused kit

BUT

There is no penalty for NOT having one from 1st March

another law that's useless as it has had it's teeth pulled :LOL
Amazing how silent this subject has become here!!! I think you still need to carry an unused one that's not passed its use-by date .... even if there's no fine, but it's still something that the police could use to waste your time if you're stopped for a search (which they can legally do!).
Alsacienne wrote:
Amazing how silent this subject has become here!!! I think you still need to carry an unused one that's not passed its use-by date .... even if there's no fine, but it's still something that the police could use to waste your time if you're stopped for a search (which they can legally do!).

Yes I was quite disappointed I never got stopped last year (I even had one in my bag on the scooter just in case :D ) as I have to be tee-total
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.