Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Had a nightmare day yesterday returning from a week in Ibiza trying to fly in to Glasgow, whilst almost stepping on to plane in Ibiza the whole airport (7 - 8 thousand people) was evacuated out into the midday sun for 3 hours (got burnt stupid)- apparently the airport recieved a hoax bomb alert call from ETA - there was one controlled explosion. Eventually, 5 hours later our plane left, on route to Glasgow.
However, we were rediredcted to Prestwick airport due to the terrorist attack on Glasgow airport - we couldnt believe this was happening - all in one day!
We eventually got home and shattered jumped in to bed to watch sky tv with all the footage of Glasgow Airports attack - if we hadnt been delayed in Ibiza we would have been landing at the same time the car was driven in to airport! (and possibly could still be sitting in the plane on the tarmac)
What a day! It really does make you think though - the good thing was that everybody just got on with it, with no real moans - I think we'd all rather be safe than sorry.

Forgot to mention - we had a screaming 3 year old with us the whole time!
HI. Latest news on Cardiff airport website is to allow extra time for your journey as new security measures have been put in place on the approach roads to the airport. So far there don't seem to be many flight delays as a result of this.
Increased security measures are now in place at all UK airports. Precise details are not yet specified, but include restrictions on traffic movements and passenger drop offs/pick ups by private car and in some cases, relocation of taxi ranks and bus stops away from terminal entrances. Additional time should be allowed for travel to airports, and passengers should confirm flight status with their airline, particularly in view of the knock-on effect caused by yesterday's chaos at Glasgow.

David
UK airports on terror alert - warning of 'significant delays'

UK airports have been put on terror alert after two men drove a burning Jeep into Glasgow airport's main terminal on Saturday afternoon.

Increased security measures have been imposed with no vehicles allowed to pick up or drop off passengers, armed police on guard and concrete barriers erected outside terminals.

Reports today suggested the Brown government is considering a fresh security clampdown at airports.

The 4x4 vehicle was only prevented from smashing into the terminal packed with travellers at Glasgow only because it was jammed between bollards outside the entrance, according to reports.

The attack on the main Scottish airport came within days of two cars packed with petrol, gas and nails failed to explode in London's West End.

Increased security measures at airports come in advance of the peak summer holiday period leading to high levels of disruption for passengers.

A spokesman for BAA, which runs Glasgow airport and other such as Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted, said: "Following Saturday's terrorist incident at Glasgow Airport, additional security measures are in place at all BAA airports.

"Dropping off and picking-up in front of the airport is severely restricted and passengers are warned that there may be significant delays in reaching the terminal itself by car.

"BAA strongly recommends that passengers use public transport to get to the airport. Passengers using private cars will find it more convenient to use car parks to gain access to airport terminals."

With permission from Travelmole
:D Hi
We fly on the 16th Newcastle just got our tickets :D

We book in 2 hrs before what im worried about is the flight that we are going on got delayed this week for 16 hrs.

We are going to have 2 small kiddies with us and im dreading it i know theses things happen i was so looking forward to going and now i feel sick.

I dont mind been delayed without young babys in tow i phoned the airline up and there said it could be delayed like this each week for the next 4 weeks :cry:

Im just hoping we get away on time its going to be a long day has it is without delays

We leave our home at 3 am in the morning to get to the airport on time and thats with out delays. all the tour operater says is keep watching the flights on line so im keeping every thing crossed hoping it will be a trouble free journey :D
Hi Celine
Planes get delayed for all sorts of reasons.

What happened at the weekend at Glasgow Airport just cannot be built into any plans.
You've got the best part of 2 weeks before you fly so things may get a bit better by then.

All you can do is make sure that you're aware of any changes in security, restrictions on baggage and parking, make sure you're ready for any delay if it happens and hope for the best.

I hope you have a great holiday.
Polly
Thanks Polly

Hopefully things will be alright :lol:
Because of significant developments made in the investigation following Saturday's terrorist attack, the current security level of 'critical' is now being re-assessed and it could possibly be relaxed or reclassified to the previous level of 'severe' very soon. That would mean only a slight reduction in security procedures and controls, but perhaps enough to ease some of the problems caused by heightened measures in recent days at airports and other public buildings. However, it is likely that restrictions will remain in place on passenger pick ups and drop offs directly outside airport terminal buildings.

David :wave
I'm flying from Stansted to Toulon on Tuesday and have received an e-mail from Ryanair today confirming flight etc. It still says I should be at the check-in 2 hours before the flight and elsewhere says that check-in opens 2 hours before the flight and closes 40 minutes before take-off. Can I take this as gospel or should I get there even earlier and just wander round with my luggage until it opens? I am going to Stansted by bus and have only one bag to check in.
Hi aslemma ... if Ryanair are saying that you should be at check-in 2 hours before departure, that may well be a change on their part as I think e-mails usually only advise that check-in opens 2 hours before and closes 40 minutes before departure. But if you need to be at the check-in desk 2 hours before, you would obviously need to be at the airport considerably earlier than that to ensure you reach check-in on time, bearing in mind the current restrictions on vehicle movements directly outside terminal buildings, and the possible traffic delays as a result.

As mentioned may happen earlier, the UK's terror threat level has now been downgraded from 'critical' to 'severe', the level which it was at prior to the attack on Glasgow Airport on Saturday.

A 'severe' threat level means that a terror attack is 'highly likely', as opposed to being 'expected imminently' as it had been in recent days under the 'critical' level.

David
Just had an email from BAA saying that arrangements for arriving at Gatwick have changed.

We have booked Tudor Rose Valet parking to ensure we were dropped as close to the terminal bulding as possible as we have a very early check in.

It now looks like they wish everybody to park in the long stay carparks, so it might have been a waste of money booking a valet parking service. :roll:

Need to do some further investigations to find out exactly what we have to do now.
This issue cropped up yesterday in the Gatwick Q&As topic, I am sure there is some info available on the airport website.

I had that same letter yesterday chris . We were going to book a cab as it only worked out about £15 more than parking but not sure how it will affect cabbies :(

How far ahead are you aiming to get to the airport Chris. we usually aim for 2 hours before. our flight from stansted is 13.00 and it says on ticket in red "latest check-in 11.30"
We have just recieved our Harlow Herald free paper which has an article regarding Stansted.

In that article it says that people arriving in cars should use the short stay car park as a drop off / pick up point until further notice.

I've looked on the website for BAA Stansted & that doesnt show much information.
It does give prices of the car parks though the cheapest being from 0 - 30 minutes costing £1.00.
(Ive just amended the price..made a typo )

Bit of a cheek to ask that for a two minute drop off but I totally understand its better than the worst scenario of a repeat Glasgow incident.

Elaine x
thanks for that Elaine. Im assuming that the cab can just drop us off in the short stay car park then with no additional cost ,just a bit more inconvenience to us :( but as you say all in our best interests.

lyn
Hi Lyn :D

For this holiday it's Gatwick. Not used Tudor Rose Valet before, so not sure how it would have worked before increased security came in. I haven't checked yet :oops: but assume we will have to drive to whichever car park Tudor Rose use and get a transfer back to the terminal. Still it's to keep us all safe so can't moan.

I'm travelling on Easyjet at stupid o'clock, so I guess we will try to check in at about 4am :shock: :shock: (note to self, check time on tickets). We don't care if we sit together or not, as long as we get to sit somewhere lol.

We used the valet parking at Stansted in April and it worked like a dream, but I can't see them letting you pull up right outside the terminal building anymore but that was how it worked in April.

Chris
As the UK terror threat level has been downgraded (hopefully not to be increased again) I will close this topic for now, as it may become confusing if we are discussing the varying restrictions at several airports all in one thread.

But please remember that even although the threat level has been relaxed, restrictions on vehicle access and passenger pick ups/drop offs remain in force at most UK airports.

If you have any further questions or comments about a specific airport, please feel free to post in the dedicated topic for that airport.

Many thanks
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.