Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Posted Tuesday 21st got them back this morning very quick ! :sun2
Posted yesterday lunchtime and already delivered to the application Centre. Hopefully not too long. No doubt I will check the VFS site for updates every 10 minutes like I usually do!
Yesterday was a holiday for VFS, but checked already this morning and it says

Your visa application has been pre-checked and processed atApplication Centre-West London-High Commission on 03-Oct-2014.

Monday is another holiday, so hopefully by about Wednesday I should have them back.
Have visited India many times done the visa via the commission years ago and then via the web site the last couple of times . Not been to Goa for 6/7 years but thought we would give it a go again. Followed step by step instructions no problem. Then I get to the end and pay the £92.20 and tried to print the forms for signatures. The system would only print the 1st part as it was in PDF. New computer with 8.1 2 weeks previous only just getting the hang of it . Eventually after many many hours of cursing, nervous breakdown
possible divorce I managed to print both forms. Then realised that I also needed to find and print the Declaration and a copy of our online payment. Had to go through it all again for my wife's. Burnt the midnight oil that day.

Posted them the next day which was a Tuesday at the Post Office that was another £24 got them back on the Saturday which was brilliant. But why can't they make them simpler and do like the States and now Sri Lanka and use a ESTA type system. Now looking forward to our holiday. We have pushed the boat out this time to celebrate my retirement staying at the Leela
I've done visas for about the last 15 years. I used to fret over the paper system, but this one has me very nervous.

What I now do, is, when you get the list come up where it is your final chance to read through, when you are happy with it print it off. When you apply next time, print off the new application at this stage and compare them side by side. If you managed to get a visa on the last application, you should get one if all the information (with the exception of visa number and dates) is the same.
Handed in our visa forms at the new company handling applications in Edinburgh last Wednesday and got them back by courier this morning, eight days in total but slower than the last company. The office is very central, about five minutes walk from Princess Street. The premises are small, just one smallish room, the staff are very efficient and faster than the last lot. One drawback is that after the initial form check at the door you just take a seat, before you were handed a number and everything went smoothly, now at busy times I imagine it will be a bit of a shambles. I arrived at 8.32 and there was already four in front of me when I left about 45 min. later there was about a dozen or so waiting, and more queuing to get in the door. Also you were not given the option to return to collect your Passport, but had to pay for courier delivery. The whole thing was ok but by next month it may be a much slower business.
Alan
Got ours back today, took just one week. All set to go now in six weeks time. Good news that anti malaria medication is no longer a requirement for Goa.
Good news that anti malaria medication is no longer a requirement for Goa.

do you have a link to the relevant info?
Told by my doctor but I think it is on the Government web site. Only applies to Goa though not the rest off India. Will try and find out which website it is on and let you know.
Re Malaria and previous post

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx#malaria

"I wrote to them to confirm this because Travelpharm were advising differently. Fitfortravel did confirm that this was correct and when I asked Travelpharm they advised that they were in the process of updating their website. Here is their reply.

Thanks for your enquiry.

We are in the process of updating the prophylaxis country pages as the guidelines for certain countries produced by the ACMP (Advisory Committee for Malaria Prophylaxis) have changed in the last couple of weeks.

It is now accepted that the risk in India which has been fluctuating for the last 18 months has reduced to the point where only states of Assam and Orissa, the districts of East Godavari, Srikakulam, Vishakhapatnam and Vizianagaram in the state of Andhra Pradesh; and the districts of Balaghat, Dindori, Mandla and Seoni in the state of Madhya Pradesh are sufficiently of high risk to require anti-malarial tablets and these must be either Malarone, Doxycycline or Lariam.

The areas that ‘Fit for Travel’ now show as dotted were pre-existing high risk but now only bite prevention measures are recommended unless you are visiting for an extended period, working in poorer areas (e.g voluntary/charity work) or have a pre-existing medical condition or immunity problem where anti-malarials would still be required.

I would advise you to follow the guidelines as set out by the Fit Tor Travel website and assure you that our information will be updated shortly..

Many Thanks,

Regards

Anita Evans Bsc(Hons) Cert.Vet.Pharm, Cert.Hom.Pharm MRPharmS

Assistant Operations Manager

Travelpharm
Manor House
Merlin Way
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
DE7

Fitfortravel do point out on their website that for certain groups antimalarials may be required so it is always advisable that people consult their doctors/nurses/surgeries."
So has construction work stopped throughout Goa?

Because if it hasn't. the "poorer areas" mentioned above can be right next door to your guesthouse/hotel/apartment, along with appalling levels of sanitation.

And as for drawing a line between short and long stay visitors? One bite from a carrying Female mosquito is enough, whether you are there for 6 days or six months.

This has to be the most irresponsible thing I have read about visiting Goa for at least the last ten years!

God help Goa if any of the hundreds of Nigerian/Ghanaian/Etc "students" :rofl bring Ebola in, because it will run riot.
keeping an eye on the ebola situation re Goa
I will confirm again with my doctor nearer the time as we are going for 3 months. I have no problem with taking them as a precaution if they are recommended.
We are taking an extra person this year and thought we would be safe and use a middle man to get our visas.

We have always used the website previously.

I have to say non of the "worry" existed as the forms you fill in of theirs is simple and effective as within 2 weeks all 3 are returned.

The simplicity in this manner I would now use even though we have never had any returned using the online system.

A company in Westhoughton am I allowed to mention the company? I have no ties with them.

The cost per person was £117.

What does the cost work out when using the online system per person run at this year?

Thanks.
£102.40 per person.with their courier return service
does vary a little depending on return service used and if you want to track with SM etc.
plus there is the postage to add for sending them in the first place.
Thanks del949

Seems like a very fair price then. Would recommend. The form you fill in can be downloaded off their site. I filled it in before I went.

Might I add that this also includes pictures taken whilst you are there.
Westhoughton a bit too far for me!

To be honest I don't find the VHS site too bad nowadays
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.