America - Florida Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Florida.
Since it is a major destination for us Brits in March and the Easter period, I predict more than a few "arrests" outside Sanford airport and on International Drive!
The only reason I have one of these flippin' photo licences is because the US wanted photo ID when we went in 2000( - plus there is the hassle/cost of renewing every 10 years!)
Now we have to get a 1 year document as well!!
I wonder what attitude the car hire firms will take to this?

Their insurers may take a different view.

I am going in just under 4 weeks so I am going to get an International Permit and cover all the bases, not worth the risk.
An extra pre-holiday headache. We'll need a permit to have fun there soon.
Luci HT Mod......just to correct you, IDP's are available at very few Post Offices! Check the following link to see if your local PO deals with IDP's

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/apply-for-an-idp-at-a-post-office.html

This may save members from thinking they can pop to their local PO and get one as I did!

If you don't live near a PO that deals with ID's, then you can get one from the AA. All the details are online at....

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

However, this is just another bureaucratic bit of paper and not worth the £8 we have to pay for it. But word of warning, if you don't have one, any insurances you may have may be invalid.

Lets hope Florida sees sense and permanently delays the decision.
My understanding is that the IDPs are only required by non-US drivers whose national driving licence is not in English, therefore we Brits would be exempt from that requirement.

Cheers,
Ralph
jetnoise wrote:
My understanding is that the IDPs are only required by non-US drivers whose national driving licence is not in English, therefore we Brits would be exempt from that requirement.

Cheers,
Ralph

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-international-driving-permit-orlando-20130215,0,3666462.story

They have put a hold on this requirement until the legal aspects are cleared up.
gerryfitz wrote:
I wonder what attitude the car hire firms will take to this?

Their insurers may take a different view.

I am going in just under 4 weeks so I am going to get an International Permit and cover all the bases, not worth the risk.

NO NEED I FLY IN SEPT AND HAVE SPOKEN TO MY HIRE COMPANY WHO HAVE SAID YOU DONT NEED AN I LICENCE :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.