Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
What's a postcard?

Is it something you get on Jockie Lorson, like Birthday cards?
I can not offer a reply as I have no internet access at the moment
Fiona HT Mod wrote:
Sometimes it might be good to not have access to home so easily. I know my OH ends up answering work queries all the time.
Can you go a day without going online on holiday?

...a few years ago, I was "admonished" on return for not taking my company supplied phone on holiday :duh (to Cuba of all places!!)....my then bosses expected us to be on call 24/7 (without any financial rewards of course!!)...fortunately I've retired because I hate to think how much holiday time would be wasted reading and reacting to the 50 or 60 work emails I used to get every day :rofl
We still go online if its EASILY available -only to keep in touch with our daughters tho'.

On a 2012 trip to Kenya, one guy we got talking with, was spending at least an hour every morning answering work queries;he even Skyped his PA to catch up with the office goings on!!
I log on on when on holidays to check emails. I don't get work emails to my personal email account. But my boss did phone me once when I was away in Australia to ask if I could do a nightshift in the warehouse that night as they were very short staffed.

I replied if he could get me a flight home that would get me there in 6 hours time to start then get me back in the morning I would.... It then dawned on him I was on holiday!

To be fair I have so many managers at work he didn't know as he is just the one who manages the warehouse side and doesn't deal with annual leave.
When we're on holiday, we don't access the internet at all except on the day we're flying home to check if the outbound flight is on time.

We used to go away and nobody knew where we'd gone - other than, for example, Crete - but now my parent is getting older, I do give contact details to my sister for emergencies.

My mobile is usually locked in the safe, OH uses his on 'flight-mode' for music and checks every so often to see if he has had a text from my sister.

I actually do send postcards to my 9 year old nephew who saves them all.
I use the internet for checking the news and football, and for a quick skim of my personal emails, and to send a few photos to make the folks at home jealous. Saw a few younger people constantly checking their phones. One of them had a red face and white sunglasses mark where he had his shades on checking whatever websites constantly.

We have a mobile phone which we taken which only very close family have (just in case).

Unusually, my new boss at work has the attitude "when you are on leave, you are on leave, and I don't want to hear from you"
Mobor One wrote:

Unusually, my new boss at work has the attitude "when you are on leave, you are on leave, and I don't want to hear from you"

I was VERY fortunate to have an M.D like that (until the last couple of years of my career anyway!) - in return ,he expected his subordinates to sort out his issues so he didn't get bothered -it really worked well!

On our last holiday in Mexico, we had one very wet morning -I went down to the swim up bar to enjoy a cheeky glass or two, whilst listening to music and using the Kindle- one young lady was Skypeing someone in the UK -and made very sure that everyone could hear her conversations ----she was even walking about so that she could use her built in camera to show the scene ------immensely annoying for everyone looking for a quiet read :que .Went back after lunch and she was STILL rabitting -presumably to someone else!!
Fiona -just re-read your original post -regarding postcards we used to send ~ 20 back home every holiday. But the postal services overseas seem to have got ever more unreliable.Some cards used to arrive weeks after we had returned to the UK.
Stopped sending any after a holiday in Egypt when no-one got the cards we had posted with our concierge.
Now we buy a couple on holiday, write them out whilst sitting on the beach,then post on return to Gatwick or wherever -just to keep our aged mothers happy :rofl
This is a great app I have on my iPhone, it is called Bypost Postcard Maker, it lets you take a picture or use one you have previously taken and upload, you can add your message and a theme if you wish, send it then a postcard is printed and delivered worldwide from the country of delivery.

So I might take a picture of Mrs Kiltie and I at the hotel or on a beach for example then send it via the app, it is printed and posted in the UK and delivered within a day or two.

You can also access your account via the internet and send postcards via a pc / laptop.

Prices work out at £1.29 for a personalised and DELIVERED postcard.
That's the most important part, the fact they are actually delivered! When we first went to Goa the rep told us to give her the postcards, as if you put them in a post box, they were pulled out, the stamps removed and re-sold.
It is amazing how fast things have moved on. On our last visit I think every shack we visited had wifi.

It seems its what we have come to expect now. Not sure its entirely good for us all to be constantly checking our mobile devices while away and it has even changed things so much at home with almost everyone in your local with their face buried in their phone.

I sort of miss the old Goa with my short wave radio checking the football scores and using the international call booths to call home.

Nothing we can do about it of course its called progress.

Recently we were away for a weekend by a canal in Shropshire. We had great mobile phone coverage but no wifi or 3g.

I quite liked it.
Use WiFi for a quick check to see how Watford are getting on and to read the local news and send a few personal emails, but do not log on to work, and still use the STD phones to phone home.
Before he went off to Uni a year ago my grandson worked on the oil rigs as an engineer. Whilst in Japan recently he had an e-mail asking if he could help out on the rig maintenance during their close-down. If he'd been in the UK he'd probably have done it as the money would have been very useful.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.