Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
iPad
30 Posts
I have taken my portable dvd player before and never had problems except trying to explain what the large battery was (I had 2 because they only last 3 hours) but once I showed them how it connected it was fine.
lots of people take laptops without incident but never put them in your suitcase..
Thanks for the reply,you have put my mind more at ease.
I recently flew with Ryanair to Benidorm and had both my Ipad and Kindle in my hand luggage and was fine both ways. I didn't even have to take either out of my bag through security.
We shall be taking it now.I was probably being silly about the whole thing.
Thanks for the replies
It's not silly Hazel there's so much security these days it's always best to check what's ok to take ;)

I downloaded some films onto mine from Iplayer and they were a help to pass the time as I flew out on my own, plus I read I review recently where the poster had taken ill abroad and was able to watch a couple of films from her Ipad as the TV didn't have English channels :tup
Hopefully it will entertain the kids on the flight.Can I ask where you got the electric converter socket to charge it up from? I saw some in the pound shop but not too sure they will be ok to use?
You mean a 2 pin adaptor? I use just an ordinary adaptor Hazel, can't remember where I bought mine from now as had them awhile but probably just the supermarket.
You will be fine however you will have to remove it from your bag at the security checks, laptop / netbooks/ iPads have to be removed and x-rayed separately.
Thanks Glynis,I shall buy one for the cheapo shop in that case.Thanks Kiltman I shall remember that.
Hi , no need to worry , I took my iPad to Egypt and had to remove it from my hand luggage on our return for security screening but I've still got it as I'm typing this post on the same iPad !!! You say that some perfume / after shave was confiscated , this might have been because it was over 100mls ???

Glynis HT Admin wrote:
I recently flew with Ryanair to Benidorm and had both my Ipad and Kindle in my hand luggage and was fine both ways. I didn't even have to take either out of my bag through security.

This is unusual but does happen from time to time , on my flight back from Jersey today I was told I didn't have to remove my iPad . The stipulation is any large electrical item over A5 size needs to be removed for screening , the screening process can " see through" iPads but not laptops , but it makes sense to screen them separately because if the x ray operator then had any doubts it would have to be removed or physical bag search carried out .
andy66 wrote:

Glynis HT Admin wrote:

This is unusual but does happen from time to time , on my flight back from Jersey today I was told I didn't have to remove my iPad . The stipulation is any large electrical item over A5 size needs to be removed for screening , the screening process can " see through" iPads but not laptops , but it makes sense to screen them separately because if the x ray operator then had any doubts it would have to be removed or physical bag search carried out .

I was surprised tbh that I wasn't asked to remove my Ipad, but even security were just asking if hand luggage contained laptops so I left my Ipad. Have just mooched round the net and a couple of sites say that Ipads don't need removing so maybe it depends on the airport :que
I think it does depend on the airport. I asked the same question before I went because you just don't know what you can take these days!! But it was absolutely fine, I wouldn't worry they're so common these days.
I was asked at both Glasgow, Sharm and Malta to remove my iPad mini, I must look dodgy :D
Are you still limited to the 100mls of liquid in your hand luggage?

Yes, always enforced in UK airports however although warning notices at Sharm airport it is not always enforced but I would still take that precaution of not having more than the 100ML.
Glynis HT Admin wrote:

I was surprised tbh that I wasn't asked to remove my Ipad, but even security were just asking if hand luggage contained laptops so I left my Ipad. Have just mooched round the net and a couple of sites say that Ipads don't need removing so maybe it depends on the airport :que

Laptops are more dense and so you can't see what is underneath them , iPads can be " seen through" so what is underneath can also be seen , therefore not essential that they are removed but more ideal and best practice if they are , it removes any doubt and makes it easier to screen the bag

Kiltman HT Mod wrote:

Yes, always enforced in UK airports however although warning notices at Sharm airport it is not always enforced but I would still take that precaution of not having more than the 100ML.

From my experiences of seeing security screening at certain Egypt airports it could best be described as sloppy and slapdash particularly at the AMD gates ( metal detector archways) if you watch closely enough you will see what I mean .
Thanks again for the replys,1 more quick question.Can you get water on the plane,I mean normal water not fancy spring water what fairies have washed their wings in.Just plain old water and do you have to pay for it?
It's just that I will be taking 100ml of undiluted juice for the 3 kids with me but will need the water to mix with it.They only drink dilute,no pop,no milk,no fresh orange or anything else convenient to me.
You can take 10x 100mls water or fluids.
They have to be placed in the plastic bag and put in the tray at security.
I always use these when coming from Turkish airports as the price of water is disgraceful :yikes
Although last October they allowed a 300ml bottle of water through security as did Tunisia security in December.
Thanks for that I'll have a look for some small bottle of water in that case
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.