EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
HI John,

Im sorry you are disillusioned with it all!!
We bought in Turkey last september and are actually going out to furnish this weekend. I guess its just finding the right person to deal with. we feel we did after being messed about alot and taken to see everything we didnt ask for it was wonderful to eventually come across someone who knew what they were talking about, spoke our language, had a good selection to show us within our budget and criteria, and was proffesional yet friendly. We have had no worries and the whole process since has been great!
Dont give up.....If its really what you want to do then stick with it.
Just find the right person to deal with. How do you know who that is? Well hopefully like us you will know WHEN you meet them!
Recommendations is a good way to find someone.....this is how we found our agent.
BEst of luck John
Tina
John

I as an agent I have just completed a sale in Antalya, the clients bought last MAY for 96,000 ın late Feb they came to do the paperwork transfer and the developer asked to buy it back for 135,000 a growth of 40,000 in nıne months. bear in mind that if the developer wanted to buy it back for 135,000 then he had another buyer lined up for probably 10 K more. So is it worth it??? YOU BET if you come to the right people and get the right advice.
John

Don't give up. Wether you are looking for a property as an investment, holiday home or to make a permanent move. We have been looking to buy a property in Tenerife for the last five years. After being advised by a lot of dud agents we finally found our current agent two years ago. We knew what kind of property we were looking for and was not prepared to go for anything less. It has taken our current agent two years to find our dream home, but boy has he come up trumps. We can't wait to move into our new home in Tenerife this summer.

Rgds Jackie
Well John, if its pure investment that you are looking for, its fairly well known that over the long term, stocks and shares will give the best return. When you buy shares, you get a certificate and you put that in a fire proof safe, and maybe you look at it every few years.

On the other hand, if you buy a holiday property which is within reasonable distance and cost from home, you get to enjoy your investment continuously, even if it doesn't appreciate at maybe the best rates.

Thats is not to say that all holiday properties are a great investment. It is a specialized and complicated matter that requires a lot of care to choose, and buy, and do not forget that there will also probably be a lot of on-going maintenance as well. You can, if you choose, rent it out to help cover the on-going costs, but don't expect rental income to make you rich. After tax and, commissions, management fees etc etc you end up with something that is enjoyable for yourselves and shoudl give a reasonable retunr over a number of years if you have bought wisely.

Yes, there are rogues, and with holiday property you are often more vulnerable when the rogues are speaking a foreign tongue, but armed with this warning, there are many ways to avoid the pitfalls so well publicized by recent tabloid television programs.

I have a holiday villa in the Algarve which I get to 5 or 6 times a year; we rent out to holiday makers in the summer, and do not regret the decision for one second.

Oh, and its probably worth about 50% more than I paid for it 6 years ago - if I were to choose to sell tomorrow, which I won't !

Good luck.
If its just an investment you are looking for then jst buy land..... no maintenance ,no fees and cheaper outlay. If you buy anywhere near a resort,marina or just a seaview you can guarantee a good return.Isn't that right Bryn!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
CB dead right thats why I have my land down your end, and properties here in Antalya, My pad here cost me 70,000 18 months ago and although İ had to spend 15 grand getting it right if someone wants it now they can have it for about 180,000. As for the land well thats my retirement home and pension fund!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.