Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Did a DIY Trip this year incorporating 5 days in Istanbul, 14 days in Olu Deniz.

Flew with Turkish Airways booked flights with Thomas Cook (cheapest at time just over £600 for the four flights). The leg room on these flights were excellent one of the best we have flown on.

Istanbul itself was split into two parts old and new. we stayed in the old part not far from the Blue Mosque which was quite a nice area but there appeared to be a lack of places to eat out in the evenings. If you were prepared to travel to the new part of the city there seemed to be a more buzzing area, word of warning though it is a long walk so you should use the tram system which was excellent. We stayed in the President Hotel which was spotlessly clean.

Be careful on arrival at the airport as you will be offered transfers by reps saying cheaper than taxi, they are not cheaper and we payed about £12-00 for a taxi instead of the £24 they wanted. Pickpockets were operating in the main shopping area but as long as you are sensible you should be ok. Personally I wouldn't return but we did enjoy it.
andream - are the transfers you mention from airport into Isatnbul town? How long a journey is it? WHat would a taxi cost? Am trying to work out if the price we have been quoted by a hotel for transfers is good or not!

Thanks!
Cost of a Taxi into the old town was 20 YTL £8 + tip. Going back to the airport we were charged 37 YTL £15 didn't tip him as he knew I knew he was ripping us off, but this was still cheaper than the transfer we were offered. From the Airport it takes about 25 mins depending on traffic.
Hello guys and gals

Need your advice on this one. I'm travelling to Istanbul later this week on work however I have 2 days free. I would appreciate tips and info on 'must sees'.

Also I've never been to Turkey so how much do your normal things cost like meals, taxis, drinks? Is tipping expected in Istanbul?

And finally what is the best way to get to/from the city centre from the airport?

Cheers
I was in Istanbul in 1970 when I was 13, (my parents and I had travelled there with our caravan but that's another story!)

Off the top of my head I would say you need to visit:

Blue Mosque - you had to take your shoes off and leave them outside with a guard!
Saint Sofia church (opposite blue mosque, and much older than our cathedrals)
Topkapi museum (I think this is in the same area too, loads of beautiful jewels etc.)
Bazaar

I don't have any up-to-date info on prices, routes etc. I'm afraid

When we were there we bought fresh lemonade from stalls (despite warnings it might be dodgy, we were so hot!) and freshly caught grilled fish in bread straight off the fishing boats near the Galata bridge near the mosques...wonder if they still do that...they actually had BBQs cooking IN the fishing boats!
We went on a boat trip, supposed to be round the Bosphorus (? if I remember right?), had those little glasses of black tea on the way, but it deposited us at a a place we discovered was on the Asian side of Turkey :shock: and wasn't returning for several hours so we had get ourselves back into Europe and found a train back into Istanbul, over the bridge. That was an adventure!

ooh it's bringing back memories ( hope i haven't gone off-topic?)

I've just found this, if it's helpful?
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/turkey/istanbul/

Hope you have a wonderful time!
Could anyone tell me how much a return transfer would be from Istanbul airport to the BEST WESTERN PRESIDENT hotel in Istanbul. :D
Also do you still need a £10 visa from the airport on arrival/
Sorry, Jojouk, can't help with the tranfer costs but you will still need to pay the £10 visa charge on arrival.
Can anyone help with a dilema? Booked my flights today to go to Istanbul next Feb, but have no idea where to stay! We want to be central but not too touristy but close to sites. Any ideas? I'm quite open to ideas, have to say the huge grand 250 bed hotels don't appeal much. We prefer smaller and quiet. Thanks.
Laurence
Im planning a long weekend in Istanbul at the end of November & same as other on this section, am a bit daunted with all the hotels.

i've found this one http://www.askochotel.com/english/contact.asp
does anyone know if it is in a safe area?

it looks ideally located (Just a few mins to most attractions) & its a real bargain at this time of the year.

anyhelp would be appreicated

thanks
Hi Claire

I've requested the Askoc Hotel be added to the reviews section :wink:

Pippy :D
If anyone can assist by posting a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
i would suggest http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk for your first port of call for hotel reviews where city breaks are concerned. you should find all the larger hotels + lots of the smaller ones.

lyn

found the reviews for askoc hotel here claire http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293974-d310786-Reviews-Askoc_Hotel-Istanbul.html
I stayed at the Legend Hotel...... the Grand Bazarr and mosques are at teh end of the street. You can find it on last minute.
We've booked a break in Instanbul which covers the New Year period.

Wondering if anyone else has been there at this time, or whether any locals are reading the board?

If so, do there tend to be any major celebrations, particularly as the city will also be starting its year as a Capital City of Culture?

Ron.
Just back from a 6 day trip to this fabulous city & want to recommend it as there don't appear to be many members interested judging by the number of posts here.
So much to see & do: it really is a must-see :tup
I've been trying to persuade OH that he really wants to go there :D
6 days was quite a long time- did you find lots to do?
I would also love to go but hubby isnt keen .I suppose it's because we always go to turkey in the summer he can't get his head around seeing Istanbul as a few days break option . My nephew has been and has said it was one of the best holidays he's had . One of these days I will just book and tell him .
Yes there's loads to see & do & you'd be spoilt for choice:
Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Roman Cisterns, Grand Bazaar, boat trips on Bosphorous, use public transport ferries to scoot about to different areas, Dolmabahce Palace, hop-on/off tour & loads more that we didn't find time to do. Also there are tours out of the city eg Ephesus, Galipolli which we didn't investigate as wanted to concentrate on Istanbul.
A really fabulous city with a unique atmosphere as it straddles Europe/Asia.
I hope to return to do more aimless ambling about now that we've done the major sight-seeing.
Go... you'll not regret it, especially if you've visited other parts of Turkey! ;) (and I'd recommend Turkish Airways too)
hi going to istanbul in sep can anyone tell us best way to get from sabiha gokcen airport to the hotel birbey in the aksaray area of istanbul also anyone stayed at this hotel any info would be good many thanks clive :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.