Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
A fleet update, Jet2 are to add their first wide bodied aircraft to their fleet in summer 2015 with an Airbus A330-300 joining the Manchester based fleet. This is wet-leased from Air Asia X and will be in a high density configuration.

Darren
Are jet2s boeing 737-800 any good, compared with thomson. Are jet2 reliable? Can anyone send some interior images of jet2 737-800
I don't know what you mean by reliable exactly, but they're a perfectly good airline. I've been flying with them for years. I'd choose them over Thomsons anytime. If you google I'm sure you'll find some pictures of their cabins. Standard configuration, red and grey seats and a bigger seat pitch than the charter airlines.
Bob82,

It's an irrelevant question really in terms of reliability. The aircraft they operate are the same type and maintained to the same standards. All airlines and aircraft have maintenance issues from time to time, they are complex machines. Jet2's 738's have the same reliability as TOM's. They have similar configurations. The only difference is some of the newer TOM 738's have the sky interior and as Sunaddict mentions, Jet2 have the slimmer seats fitted so even though the seat pitch is the same, there's an extra inch or two or legroom. There are cabins photos linked from our What Aircraft? guide.

Darren
Bob the difference is Jet2 have some very very old 737-300s which have had many owners and their 737-800s are Thomson's old ones that they have replaced with new ones. Jet2's 757s are from the 1980s.

Thomson's 737-800s are mostly quite new, their 787s are new and the 757s are considerably newer than Jet2's.

I always chose Thomson but I'm sure Jet2 are perfectly good. If a plane lasts for 28 years it should keep going for a bit longer with decent maintenance.
Qman,

Bear in mind aircraft maintenance isn't like car maintenance. During heavy maintenance, aircraft are stripped to component parts and effectively rebuilt. They come out of heavy maintenance like new so aircraft age isn't as relevant as it is for cars.

Darren
Yes Darren I know, but 28 years is a long time for a plane. There are only so many landings and hours that are allowed. Some of the planes are over 60,000 hours on short hops

I flew on Dan-Air BAC1-11 many years ago, I went into the cockpit and had a chat with the pilot. He told me that Dan-Air were a brilliant airline to work for and they stripped their planes down to bare metal every few years. He particularly like the fact that he actually flew the 1-11 as apposed to newer planes which flew by computer.

A month later Dan-Air went bust, I often wonder what happened to the pilot. I was quite sad!
Finally about to book our summer holiday, travelling from Newcastle to Lanzarote on flight LS545/6 in August.Tried doing a dummy booking and it looks like the plane is a 737-800. Is there a row 1 D,E.F, it shows as booked on Jet2 seatplan, with row 2 also extra legroom but on various other seat plan websites row 1 DEF doesn't exist?
I have only ever flown with Thomson or Thomas Cook previously but having spoken to work colleagues who have travelled with Jet2, they have all said the standard legroom is much better with Jet2
If we decide to go for standard seats are there any seats A or F which do not have a window and is it correct that none of the seats recline?
I don't think there is a row 1 D/E/F but I'm sure Darren will know. Seat pitch is better than TC and Thomsons, and no, the seats don't recline.
Thanks for that speedy reply. Might save some money if we choose standard seats. I love the idea of non-reclining seats- I always seem to get someone in front of me who reclines and I can't move and I'm only 5ft 2. (extra legroom was for my husband and son, not me)
sheeshon,

Seat pitch is actually the same as with Thomson, but Jet2 have slimline seats fitted with no seat pockets at the base of the seat so they give you a couple of extra inches in standard seats. The seats start at row 2 on the starboard side of the aircraft, there isn't a row 1.

Darren
Thanks Darren.
Decided to book standard seats and save a bit cash. Chose row 6 on outbound flight and row 12 on return. Just hope we've got a window.
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
sheeshon,

Seat pitch is actually the same as with Thomson, but Jet2 have slimline seats fitted with no seat pockets at the base of the seat so they give you a couple of extra inches in standard seats. The seats start at row 2 on the starboard side of the aircraft, there isn't a row 1.

Darren

Have Jet2 also removed the seat pockets? I know Ryanair have.
Glynis,

On aircraft fitted with the newer slimline seats, yes. The seat pocket is at the top of the seat rather than the bottom to give more knee room.

Darren
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
Glynis,

On aircraft fitted with the newer slimline seats, yes. The seat pocket is at the top of the seat rather than the bottom to give more knee room.

Darren

Ah right Darren thanks. I do like a seat pocket as if you get a coffee or want to eat your lunch it's a balancing act without one.
Hi. My wife and I are flying to Malta with Jet2 Holidays in June and I was interested in the aircraft type we will be flying on. My reasons are twofold, a.) I am interested in aircraft and like to research them and b.) I have chosen seat 8A and 8B flying out and 7A and 7B flying back, I do not want to be over the wing so am interested in any info on these seats. Thanks everyone.
Brian A

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
I don't know exactly which plane you will be on, where are you flying from? It will either be an old 737-300, a bit newer 737-800 or a very old 757-200. But don't worry about the age of the aircraft because Jet2 look after their aircraft very well.

I think in the seats you mention you will be well forward of the wings.
BRIANASKEW,

Welcome onboard :tup
Please quote your flight details, ie where you are flying from, dates of travel and flight numbers when requesting aircraft information. Aircraft can vary from one day to the next so we'll need more information. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). Row 7/8 are in front of the wing on all the aircraft types Jet2 operate.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.