Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
JET2.COM
1502 Posts
Just been on the Jet2 website and they have a new policy on checked in baggage. They are charging for checked in baggage for anyone who as made a booking from the 23rd April 2007 onwards. Click on questions & then baggage advice & allowance for further information. Cheers Jayjan
just booked a flight to Palma for my daughter. Have flown with Jet2 many times so I was surprised that on booking a drop down box appeared for baggage and I was charged £3 for her case. I guess it is only fair that those taking hand luggage only pay a little less but these extras add up - a £6 flight cost me £30 (with taxes and credit card fee), still unbelievably cheap for June but why can't they include at least the taxes in the advertised price?
Hi Tippi. I wish I could find a flight to Faro from Manchester with Jet2 at the price you paid, they are non existent, Faro can be expensive to fly too. My only grudge is that you pay within your ticket for 18kgs of baggage and now they are charging for you to check it in. We travel regular with Jet2 and the prices are just going up and up. Cheers Jayjan
I've certainly been lucky with the outward flight for her, I think we must have just logged on at the right time because last week the same flight was £35 (before supplements). As she is travelling alone - I wonder if they only had one or two seats left on that particular flight. Unfortunately, she'll be travelling back in August and the prices are really high at the moment (don't know whether to book now or wait and see). Oh well, you win some, you lose some....
Jayjan... don't forget that the £3 charge now includes a case upto 20kg. So for £3 you are getting an extra 2kg of allowance. Cheaper than before if you always took 20kg then got charge for taking the extra at the airport.
You do not get 20kg until November. The current allowance is 18kg. No idea why they have changed it like this.
Hi Flyer, Beegee is correct the 20kg allowance does not come into force until Nov 2007.
Its only 12 months ago that they dropped the baggage allowance from 20kgs to 18kgs, so I think putting it back up to 20kgs is just to lighten the blow of charging to check your baggage in.
My hubby never travels with hold baggage as he leaves plenty clothes at our house in Portugal & just takes odd items in his hand luggage, so it wont apply to him, but I always use my baggage limit, and i am not happy about these extra add ons, but if ya wanna fly then you have to abide by these rules.
I will also add that we find Jet2 excellent & they are the cheapest 90% of the time flying from Manchester. Cheers Jayjan
Hi I have just booked a flight with Jet 2 on my computer for a friend of ours and was gutted to see that each bag now incurs a £3.00 charge each way.

I have read on here that you will be allowed 20kg instead of 18kg but not until November which seems a total ripoff. Why not now?

We are travelling to Alicante next Monday and I was wondering if they will try to rob us at the Airport for this extra charge or is it just for new bookings.

When the Government brought out the extra "Eco" tax in February, we had to cough up even though our flights had been booked since last September.
Any advise gratefully received.

Thank You

Sue :)

P.S. Does anyone know what happens if you want to go with say 2 bags as a family and then return with 3, can you book 2 going and 3 on the return as when I booked my friends, it just said 1 bag £6.00.
Also is there a limit on the weight of our bags when there are 4 of us travelling.
Think that you would have a limit of 1 bag each in the hold and any more would be charged as excess or at least would have the £3 added.
I think if it is like the other low cost Airlines then you would not be able to pool your baggage.
My son came here from Dublin with Ryanair and bought a hold all to take back as an allowance for the 3 year old rather than have excess baggage charged to his baggage. They had picked up a lot of toys and presents here.
He got a great bag with wheels for £12 at TXMaxx and was the best idea. Saying that I had more than the 18K last year on a flight to Barcelona and they didn't charge excess. I flew recently with BMI to Heathrow and was had an ongoing flight with BA to Miami but they would not recognise the BA allowance and I had to pay £45 excess Their allowance is 20K I was pretty mad about it but what could I do?

Sue
If you booked your flight to Alicante before & including the 22 April you will not be charged to check in baggage, its only flights booked from the 23rd April onwards. This is a new policy of Jet2, if you go on the website & click into Questions there is a section on baggage advice & allowances for more info. Cheers Jayjan
Hi Jayjan, Thank you, I have just had a look now and it has become much clearer except I still can't work out what is the maximum weight allowed for a case if booked prior to the new charges when 2 people are sharing.

Hi Sue, I cant work it out either it is not specific in the wording, saying 18kg of checked baggage per fare paying passenger, it also says no bag can weigh more than 25kgs, but do you have to pay excess baggage for the difference in weight? even though 2 of you are travelling with one case. I would ring them to see if they can clarify this, or use your full allowance and take 1 case each to get round the ruling.What annoys me is you are paying within your fare for 18kgs of baggage and now they are charging extra for you to check it in,I should imagine the majority of people flying pack a suitcase so this is a nice little earner for the airline. Enjoy your hols. Cheers Jayjan
Thank you keela1eva2, sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.

Also thanks again Jayjan, I think that we will check in 3 bags between the 4 of us and then we shouldn't incur any extra charges.

It is a nice little earner for Jet 2. I really liked them when they first set out but I am slowly going off them because I feel that they are becoming greedy.

The flight times from our local airport aren't as good as they used to be either.

I flew 5 times with them last year and it annoyed me the last time when they constantly told us when we were close to landing to ensure that we left our seat area spotless as they had to depart in half an hour or so to another destination. It won't be long before they shove a dish cloth and a hoover in our hands. :lol:

Recently flew Jet2 to / from Malaga. The limit is 18kg per person for hold baggage. A group of guys checking in, in front of us had problems where some bags were over 18kg, but others were under. They didn't have to pay any excess, but I think that this is all down to whomever is checking you in, as reaslistically anything over 18kg is subject to excess baggage.
Will I be alright taking two case's between three of us, not expecting any case to weigh more than 25kgs, or will I have to still pay excess on any case weighing more than 18kg. :?

regards sweet. :)
When we flew to Alicante in April, we had only 2 bags between 3. I think they are one of only a few cheap airlines that still allow pooling of luggage as long as no case is over 25kgs. Karen
Thanks for the reply karen, put my mind at rest, did'nt want to have to go out and buy another suitcase.

regards :)
just flew Jet2 again, and must say once again their service is A1
LeedsBradford to Palma on time, everytime....service with a smile and makes you proud to be British!!
Shame prices seem to keep rising, that baggage allowance reduced plus the impending £ per suitcase extra.
We tend to be lucky as my kids are under 8 but get full allowances.

Probably wont use again for a while as off to Disney USA 2008
but they are always the first I check for

Mark
OK, just got back from Ibiza with Jet2. As regards to luggage we wre a family of 4 (kids ages 11 & 9), we booked online 3 bags at an allowance of 18kg each. Took two cases one weighing 21kg & other 19kg with a large empty holdall inside one case for return journey. You know for sombrero, donkey etc. Which when full weighed 7.5kg. So if anyone wondering if you can pool your allowance then the answer (in our case, no pun intended) was yes.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.