Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Lost Baggage
4 Posts
I think their stance would be to make a claim on your travel insurance Adam, but unfortunately, you didnt have any.

If they hadn't located your luggage then I think it would be different.

Kath HT Admin
Surely, whether I have Insurance or not, doesn't affect their legal responsibilities - they lost the luggage - a loss has been suffered - therefore they are liable?

I'm sure they limit their liability to a certain limit, just wondered if anyone knew or had similar experience?

Cheers

Adam
Hi Adam ... delayed and lost baggage is covered under the legislation of the Montreal Convention. But by my limited understanding of that legislation, there are no set regulations regarding compensation payments if the baggage is delayed for 21 days or less.

However, some airlines will make one-off payments to cover emergency purchases until passengers and bags are reunited.

After 21 days, the delay may be considered a loss and a claim may be made on that basis. However, there are limitations and the compensation may not cover the full value of the baggage and its contents, hence the need for insurance.

Some insurance policies may cover baggage delays of less than 21 days, but obviously that is not an option available to you in this case.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.