Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I'd love to help but I can't unfortunately. Have to say that Koh Samui didn't strike me as being big in jewellery shops though. I did find an interesting jeweller in Bophut but the jewellery was not expensive but had interesting designs. Are you going to Bangkok at all?
Personally I found that the jewellery was not particularly cheaper than in the UK, not on the same scale as Goa.
Hope this helps.
We brought a diamond ring in Bangkok which we had valued at twice what we paid for it and also 2 Tag Heuer Watche's which were half the price than in the UK. Daughter also got a diamond ring and her's was valued at 5 time's what she paid but she did pay alot more than I did for mine.
Do you have any experience in buying jewellery Hazy Harry? If not I would re-emphasise that for every person that buys a piece of jewellery that's worth more back in the UK, there are 20 people who have bought gems worth worth peanuts, and lost fortunes.

Unfortunately individuals greed has been picked up upon by many Thai's, and thus gem & jewellery fraud is rife. If you intend to try and make money (which is perfectly feasable) I would ensure that you've taken a few courses in the UK to help you identify fakes and the real value of products.

I've brought plenty of jewellery, mainly silver, and always paid what it was worth to me, as never intended to sell-on. I would do your research before you travel (which you are doing!) and don't be taken in by any shops that tuk tuk or taxi drivers take you to!
Travelling Sam - I am most certainly NOT an expert. I am not trying to make money out of this either.

It is purely just looking at the possibility of buying my better half a gift whilst over there. Not necessarily fortunes - perhaps only a small gift in the region of £100-£200 - maybe a set of earrings or a necklace of some sort.

But obviously I would rather not buy something for ANY price if I can get the same or better in the UK for the same price due to be swindled by a Thai jewellers.

So I was hoping that someone would have had a good experience from a particular shop. Surely some pride themselves on their reputation?

Maybe I'm better off buying leather goods such as handbags/purses etc??
I will agree with nearly everything Travelling Sam say's there are people out there waiting to rip you off but there is also some geniune one's. We were taken to a jewellers inside one of the big department store's by a friend who has lived in Bangkok for about 15 year's and came highly recommended.We were not out to make any money the watche's were a treat to ourselve's, hubby brought my ring for a present and the daughter's was her engagement ring.
I havent been to Bophut for a number of years so perhaps someone else can confirm- but there were a couple of artisan's shops when we were there which sold some unique jewellery. About the price range you are thinking of, and cheaper.
There is a saying in Thailand ''if you want to make a small fortune in Thailand, bring a large one with you'' I have been to the gem shops, but have not bought because I am not a jeweler, but bought a genuine self wind Rolex for £15.00 in Patpong, how do I know it was genuine? the trader told me so. :rofl
:yikes

Very dodgy buying jewellery in Thailand if you don't know what you are doing..

NEVER go to a shop suggested by a Tuk Tuk driver.

Check out the website below and you will see what I mean.

bangkokscams.com
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.