Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Thanks Brian, great reviews.
:kiss
Sarah
Very useful report indeed. Glad you got the really important things like food and brandy. May have to try it now as I've never been South of the Green Line.
Just back from Paphos. :( First visit to this part of Cyprus and really loved it. Weather was a bit mixed,but was still pleasantly warm daytime and reasonably sunny at times. Met some lovely Cypriot people....SO friendly. :) Found the prices to be quite reasonable and had some fantastic food and drank too much Ouzo! :lol: Loved the harbour area and beach at Coral bay. Saw Aphrodites rock,Paphos Castle and other ruins etc. Went into the Troodos Mts.and visited Latchi/Polis.Lovely,lovely!!!
Only thing I'd change..wouldn't fly into Larnaca again.The two hour taxi drive was comfortable,but when adding up the costs,would possibly have been just as cheap with direct flights to Paphos. Taxi fares were 56Cy£'s each way. Got a VW Golf when we arrived in Paphos through economycarrentals.com Everything went smoothly with them and the car was immaculate and in good condition. 92Cy£'s for the week.
Will be back to lovely Cyprus some day soon,I hope, and would recommend it to anyone.

(Just noticed..someone in my household has deleted one of my posts. Playing silly beggars I think.:? :evil: )
Why did you not pick up and drop off the car at Larnaca airport ?
Hi there.
That's what we initially planned on doing,to be honest,but then we weren't confident that the car would take all of our luggage,hand luggage and the four of us. :roll: :lol: (We had 4 very full,large suitcases and 4 big handbags and some other essential medical euipment) Being 4 females we couldn't make up our minds whether to take clothes for warmer weather or for cooler weather..jackets etc.etc.,so we finished up taking both! :roll:
Also,the two who were driving were a bit wary of driving a bigger car in a foreign country. :yikes
We've now decided that if we go again together "off season",we'll just fly into Paphos,saving the slightly expensive...but have to say... roomy and comfortable taxi ride.
Of course,we could just have compromised and took less/smaller luggage! Don't know if we could have coped without all of our clothes though??!! :wink: :roll: :lol:
Thanks for that Fiona. I did wonder why you went to the extra expense of the taxi, only to hire a car once in resort.
I think I can understand now :wink:

Glad you had a good time and thanks for telling us about it :lol:

Ady
Ady, don't try to understand :? - it's a 'woman thing' :lol:

Cheers,
Jinty
:lol: Jinty. definitely a "woman thing".
Ady. We had a great time thanks,even with the little bit extra expense for the taxi. Will be great to go back again soon. :)
Just returned from Protaras, as always had a great time, here are a few snippets of info that many people ask about

Best exchange rate .86cy to the pound can't recall the name but it's the car hire kiosk on the junction to the Odessa Hotel on the strip

Cost for a pint of Keo 1.10cy to 1.60cy

Set menu's range from 4.95cy to 8.95cy

Best Irish bar, this has to be Paddy's Inn, Ayia Napa 2cy for the best pint of Guinness outside of Ireland.

I saw advertised boat trips at 2cy from the harbour in Ayia Napa to Famagusta

Boat trips from Flamingo bay now only go from the far left of the bay and no longer stop to pick up and drop off in front of the Sunrise Beach Hotel

For the smokers you are better to buy in one of the supermarkets than at the Airport you will save around 2cy on a carton of 200.

Taxi to the Airport 28cy day time, from the kiosk in front of the pizza hut on the strip
Thanks Maurice, just what I needed to know. :lol:
anyone just been? whats the weather like in teh evening? would we need sleeves for going out and about?

thanks
It is warming up by the day now, it is almost dark as I write this (7.30pm) and it is well over 80f outside, we sat out last night at next doors and we all sat in shorts and stuff, no need for anything heavier..it is perfect time of the year not too hot but very pleasant, soon it will be very unpleasant..
Hi all

Just back today from a mega hot week in Protaras. A wonderful break from the awful weather here. Stayed at the Sunrise Beach Hotel and could not fault it at all. Lovely rooms and perfect position being right on the beach on Flamingo Bay and central for the strip with all the bars and restaurants. I know that many rate Fig Tree Bay to be the best but really I could not fault Flamingo with its soft sand and crystal clear water. Also the heat meant you really wanted to make for the nearest access point to the sea and a few steps from the sun lounger areas and there you were.

I had a lounger on one of the grass areas which is certainly quieter than the pool area if like myself you don't have children. I do accept though that if you have children you will probably want one near the pool to keep an eye on them. Beach towels are supplied and sun loungers are allocated for the duration of your stay. If you want one nearer to the pool you can generally be moved when someone leaves. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I spoke to one couple who have been going to this hotel for 18 years and still see some of the same staff who were there from year 1 which says a lot.

No point in me doing a day by day report cos I did little but laze about due to the heat. Found some nice restaurants and bars. Plenty of choice along the strip some more traditional than others. Many do set price menus with 3 courses for just under C£ 7 so you can eat very cheaply although obviously you can pay quite a bit more depending on what you have to eat and drink. A pint of the local beer Keo was either £1.70 or £1.50 depending on where you went. Hotel more at £2.10 but you generally expect this.

All in all a very relaxing week. If I can help anyone who is going out there please let me know. The main message is it will be hot so take plenty of high factor sun cream. Even the locals ae finding it a bit wearying.

BB 8)
Welcome back BB :wave - if you haven't already don e so, why not ad your review HERE

Kath HT Admin
We've just booked for very end of August for 2 weeks, Pernera... can't wait... really can't wait.... :D
Thanks for the review - just what I needed to keep me going. We are off this Wednesday to the Rising Star - can't come quick enough.
Thanks Kath have done a review of both hotel and resort.

:D
A group of us (2 families) have just got back home from 2 wks in Peyia village nr to Coral Bay, we stayed in a 4 bedroom villa with it's own pool, we all had a great time and the weather was great.

Can i just say how friendly we found the people of Cyprus, especially one supermarket owner named Cristos (not sure if spelt correctly). The villa we had was a fair distance from his supermarket, and after our first visit, he gave us his mobile number and told us to call him with orders and he would deliver to the villa.

We also had a lovely taxi driver named Adonis who also gave us his mobile number for if we wanted a taxi.

Had a great holiday, looking to find 2 or 3 villas next to each other in Peyia area, for next year if anyone can help.

:thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.