Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
This happened to us at Christmas on our last dive trip...but we had no idea it was happening..

This official looking bloke wearing all the badges etc and looking like security got hold of me and Rob and told us to follow him..so we did. We had no idea where we were going or what it was about..we thought we were in trouble or were just targetted for a random search..we often get that becuase of how some of the more technical dive gear is packed...so wernt overly concerned.

He then dumped us somewhere else in another queue that was not really any much nearer the front that the one we had been dragged from and then demanded money. Rob told him where to get off...and then this guy kept holding out his hand in front of me and saying something like "but i get you to frong of queue..tip tip". Rob told him we never asked to be moved and said his f*** off several times a bit firmer. The man then decided not to mess with Rob, who is a huge bloke and left us.

We were in this queue just as long and the queue were taken out of got through quicker. Just another s c a m I am afraid.

Got to hand it to them for trying though. Maybe they should try actually making thier system more efficient instead...
:rofl The thing is as well, it's such a professional looking s c a m, so it's easy to be taken in by them. I think they were all wearing black trousers & white shirts so it seemed offical - I saw other bewildered looking people going off with them as well - probably first timers like us.

Oh well at least now I know that if we had have let ourselves be dragged off by them we would have been no further forward in the queue than anyone else.

What a flippin cheek they have over there, part of it makes you angry and the rest makes you admire their bare faced brazeness at trying to get extra money off of dazed tourists.

Doe :sun2
When we went to Hurghada in January 2011 we had our 6 month old daughter with us and was at the back of the visa queue as we were the last people of the plane. One of these people saw us and marched us straight to the front of the queue, the guy never asked for any money and we never gave him any.
They were certainly out in force when we came through on Friday,calling it V.I.P check in,I didn't see any takers though. Hurghada airport was a nightmare as usual. Everyone arriving at the same time because the flights are only five minutes apart. I suppose the only plus side to it is it takes so long to get to check in.there's no hanging around once you are eventually through.
Hi minione ;)

Welcome back I hope you had a brilliant time, think I will be back that way in the Autumn just need to fix on a resort and a hotel . Don't really fancy anywhere else at the moment despite having to go through Hurghada airport. I don't know why those guys bother, as you say they don't seem to get many takers, probably because folk smell a s c a m brewing so give them a wide berth.

:sun2
We had a lovely week Doe,thanks. I would highly recommend the hotel and the resort of Makadi bay is gorgeous. I would have to go earlier or later in the year though as it was far too hot for us,45 degrees every day.
I will write a review when I've finished ploughing through the ironing! :wave:
Welcome home Sharon , Good to hear you had a lovely time & look forward to hearing about the hotel . :) I've become so ratty with those sort of temps now .
Welcome back, good to hear you enjoyed it and I am looking forward to hearing all about it :tup
could any one tell me if they have poters at the airport at hurgarda with wheelchair for us who can not stand about thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.