America - Florida Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Florida.
It is worth remembering that International Drive and Kissimee (Highway 192) are primarily areas of hotels and restaurants. I have seen people on other forums write off International Drive by saying "they don't get it" or "we have done International Drive and didn't like it" as though they are expecting something akin to a theme park but really there are only a few attractions sprinkled amongst a large number of chain/non chain restaurants and hotels.

For us both areas fit the bill because after a long day at a theme park all we want to do is have a bit of a rest, head out for a nice meal somewhere and then crash out ready for the next day.

It all depends on what you want out of a holiday of course but away from the main theme parks the entertainment options are fairly low key except at Citywalk and Downtown Orlando.
are the restraunts walkable in kissamee? just wandered if you knew of any motels near old town, stayed at days suites many years ago, had a great time, but reviews are not so good now, thanks
It probably depends where you stay in Kissimmee, but we found that you needed a car there even to go to a restaurant and the pavements / sidewalks were few and far between.

We found International Drive to have a far better choice of restaurants and it was also easier to get around on foot.

luci :wave
Totally agree with Luci, if you are hoping to walk to restaurants from your hotel then International Drive is going to much more convenient. Even on I Drive car is king, and pedestrians have to wait what seems like ages to cross intersections but at least there is consistent paving. I find we need a car in Kissimmee, in fact the first time we went in 99 there was a huge amount of road/pathworks going on and going half a mile up the road to a restaurant on the other side of 192 required a cab!

Personally, I love the southern section of I Drive (by that I mean south of Sand Lake Road). Staying onsite at a Disney or Universal hotel has never appealed, and I always find myself being drawn back to this area of I Drive or Lake Buena Vista...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.