Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
katielind,

I had a similar problem when travelling to Mauritius when booking through Hayes and Jarvis. Your problem is, you'll be booked on to a discounted ticket so your luggage is restricted, and you won't be able to increase it unless you book a higher class cabin. You're only likely to be entitled to a single bag up to 23kg as a discount economy passenger. I called Air France / KLM (bearing in mind I also have a privilege card for Flying Blue, managed to get an upgrade on the return flight!) and there was no way to increase baggage allowance for diving equipment. The only way was to pay for excess luggage and you don't want to know the cost! It'll be cheaper hiring equipment out there. I know it's not ideal, but it's the cheapest option.

Darren
Hi Darren,

Yes i was concerned that it was going to be a problem. I think we will just take suits, fins, masks, and computers and hire everything else like you say. Also i will just have to take less shoes and less bikini's!

Just a thought, i take it you did mean 23kg PER PERSON??

I also have to consider that the final leg of our journey from Bangkok to Phuket is with Bangkok Airways and its possible that their allowance will be even less!
If anyone has travelled 'long haul' to KLM in economy class recently could you give me any pointers as to the good and no-so-good aspects of your trip ... especially as regards seat comfort, meals and IFE. Many thanks.
I would also be interested in info on the above post!
Thanks ;)
Dazbo,
I have just registered as a flying blue member on KLM's web site, do you no if i can claim miles for my flight with them that i have booked through H&J??
Thanks.
Katie.
katielind,

Yes, but you'll need to get your ticket number from H&J if you've already taken the flights, or just present your card / Flying Blue number at check-in and they'll add the points for you.

Darren
Hi Folks,

A few questions, when i asked previously about the planes on my flights to Bangkok next April the planes at that time were to be E190's now when i check on checkmytrip.com it shows as F70's. Does anyone know why?? And if it is a change of aircraft, is it for the better or worse? (this is for the aberdeen to amsterdam leg only)

Also, the 747-400 that are scheduled to be used for the amsterdam - bangkok leg, IFE used to be overhead screens, KLM's website says that throughout 2010 all economy class seats will be getting seatback IFE screens, does anyone know if this has been done yet?

Thanks in advance

Katie :tup
Katie, I joined Flying Blue to get milage from a trip to the US. I did not get my card, although as it was booked direct, the number was added to my booking.

Oh and for the plane, have you thought of looking at thetimetable on the KLM site by seeing what you can get through the official site rather than through a third party, they do have seating plans on there site.
What I can gather, the Fokker 70 is slower and will seat fewer passengers. Still a 2-2 seating plan. Depending on the plane the Fokker 70 is still approx 31 inch seat pitch
Katie

Below is a link to all the KLM aircraft and seating plans. I have done Aberdeen AMS quite a few times and don't think I have ever been on the F70 which according to KLM website is a 3/2 seating. However I much prefer the 2/2 seating which I presume is the Embraer 190 rather than the 737/400.

From the same page there is a link to entertainment as well.

http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/seating_plans/Fokker70.htm
Hi and thanks for the replies

Helenllama, i have already booked my flights through H&J.

Sugarbabe61, When i have checked my trip details recently the aircraft used for my abdn - amsterdam leg both ways has changed from an E190 to the F70, i just wondered if this was for the better or worse??!!

I have spent heaps of time browsing the whole KLM website looking at as much stuff as i can, i note it says the economy class on it 747-400 is overhead rather than seatback, which i do not fancy at all, but it says they are installing seatback IFE on all 747-400's throughout 2010. I just wondered if anyone knows if this has been done as we travel April 2011.

Thanks again folks.

Katie :tup
katielind,

The refit on all of KLM's widebody aircraft is now complete. The F70 is a nice little twin-jet. Many prefer the more modern E190's but the F70 is nice enough. It's only a short flight so I'm sure you'll find it more than adequate.

Darren
Evening folks,

Hoping someone is able to assist.

For our last L/H flight with F.C/Thoms we bought our own headphones and the small jack adaptors as we prefer these to the small earphone types.

We are due to fly to Thailand in a fortnight with KLM and we wondered if these same jacks were suitable for the KLM 747/400?? Or alternatively does anyone know what type of head/earphones KLM supply you with, we are in economy.

Thanks in advance.

Katie.
katielind,

Headphone sockets are pretty universal on all arcraft so yes, your headphones will be fine with the adapters. Supplied headphones are generally ok, but cheap in or over your ear ones so the ones you have are likely to be better quality.

Darren
Might give KLM a try as they have good prices to Las Vegas from Aberdeen next june-nearly £300 cheaper than BA.
Mark, if you a flying from Aberdeen also try looking at Lufthansa who have launched Aberdeen to Frankfurt which is another major hub. We normally fly KLM to Dubai/Abu Dhabi in the winter but got an unbeatable great price with Lufthansa in their two day sale a month ago.
Had a look at Lufthansa but they are over £1000 more than KLM from Aberdeen :yikes
Thanks anyway.
Mark.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.