Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Nigel

Have only been on KLM`s 777 but having heard some of the stories about the 747`s I personally would take the 777 option without a doubt. Very new aircraft, far more comfortable than a long haul airbus as well. The IFE system has to be one of the best in the business, stop and start as you wish jobby and all that. Choice of at least 50 movies and for an 8 year old it is paradise!!!!!......The 747 has very old overhead only projectors, when they work :roll:
Have a good trip whatever your decision though

Paully
Four hours between flights is not particularly long, given that the 1st part of the trip is intercontinental. Any flight can be delayed, but because long haul routes tend to have a lower frequency, there's less of a safety net if things get delayed by a couple of hours.

While the flight from California to Amsterdam should be on time, allowing just one hour from a long haul flight arriving, to the next plane departing is cutting it a little fine. I know there's another flight to Norwich late in the evening, but seat availability around half term is likely to be tight.

In any case, your trip to LA over the UK school half term is presumably for leisure purposes - spend the extra day in California instead
Hi Can anyone tell me what KLM Flights are like?

EDIT: Merged with existing KLM Q&As topic
David HT Mod
Hi. My son's travelling to Berlin from Cardiff on 25th Aug using KLM. I'm a bit concerned as the journey involves 2 flights with not much time between them. His first flight is KL1058 from Cardiff to Amsterdam and the 2nd flight is KL1823 from Amsterdam to Berlin. His e- ticket states that he'll also need to check in for this 2nd flight. Will there be enough time? Can anyone reassure me please?
Shirley
Checking the web site there is 1:35hrs between the flights and the web site offers it as a ticketing option so the airline accept it can be done. I am very suprised that they say he needs to check in again I would have expected them to either issue tickets straight through or he goes via the transfer desk at Amsterdam. If you are worried contact KLM and get them to reassure you.
  • Edited by colinj 2007-08-17 14:51:44
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. I will do as you suggest and contact the airline.
Looks as if KLM shall be replacing the ageing FK70 and FK 100 with new Embraer 195's. This is good news for UK travellers with KLM who use Amsterdam airport for their "world wide" connections. More detail when comes available.

Nivsy
Had a disasterous journey with KLM and in the process of writing complaint. Was booked on a KLM flight from Kuala Lumpur to Glasgow via Amsterdam,- 18 hour delay in Kuala Lumpur- ground staff no help , the majority of people were given blankets to sleep on floor, I managed to find my own hotel for the night. We were given meal vouchers for 15 ringets (roughly £2)- you can't buy much at an airport for this!!!!!Plane left at 5pm instead of 11pm the night before- originally told 2 hour delay but a Malaysian gentleman told me otherwise at least an hour and a half before the ground staff. Food on the plane was awful- noodles -no choice, the films were the outbound films as the computer wouldn't work for them and very little leg room. Arrived in Amsterdam too late for any connection flight and was given a hotel for the evening- the last shuttle bus for my hotel left 10 minutes before I arrived at the bus stop- hotel sent a mini bus out which picked me up 40 minutes later out of which I stood on a road waiting by myself (a rather upset female) while up to 30 people waited 2 roads away all of whom were going to the same hotel in the aiport complex, mine was 5km away.Plane to Glasgow - no problems, more leg room than the 747 from Kuala Lumpur.
Hello

We have booked economy to travel to Cape Town with KLM. I wondered if anyone could tell me if it is possible to upgrade to business class and if so when I can do this and also approximately how much it costs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alana
I am considering booking the KLM Holideck Lounge in Heathrow terminal 4 as we have a 5 hour wait there for an onward flight to Hong Kong.
Has anyone any experience of this? Is it worth the money? Is the Internet access free there or extra? It would cost us £63 for 4 of us.
Any information would be very welcome.
With open skies and slot re-arrangements, KLM will be releasing an announcement on a new arrangement with Northwest to allow the USA carrier to operate services from LHR to Detroit and Minneapolis.

Nivsy
I wonder if the lack of posts on the KLM thread says it all?
KLM are dreadful, old planes, stroppy crew, awful food and truly abysmal service.
Never again would i fly with them long haul, not until they up their game and realise that people vote with their feet and choose to fly with other airlines.
Having recently flown SIA, there is NO competition, this is an airline that has its act together, superb.
KLM really need to listen to what passengers are saying - its a dreadful product and its time expired.
I must have been very lucky.

Over way too many years I have flown regularly from Glasgow to Athens using various airlines and connecting through London, Amsterdam, Brussells i.e. Olympic, British Airways, easyJet, Sabena and KLM.

I'm still travelling to Athens and for the last 5 years I have used KLM. The reason I have stayed with them is that I find their crews friendly,and they tend to fly to their published times, there and back. On these short flights it's only a snack that is served but they have always been tasty enough for me. Also, the aircraft on this route look pretty new and modern to me. Is it their long-haul services that use older stock?

Very much the worst airlines on that route, for me, were British Airways and Olympic. Way too many delays which always ended up a major problem when connecting on to Glasgow.

It's a personal thing I know, but I'll continue with KLM. So far, they haven't once let me down.

Bill
I have always found KLM to be excellent in every way.

Denny
Hi,
We flew with KLM last month from Glasgow to San Francisco, and apart from the usual gripe about seat pitch the service on all our flights were spot on, nice crews, decent food, clean and tidy aircraft.
We will probably use them and their code-share partner Northwest next year on our trip to Detroit and Anna Maria Island. :smile:
Delivery of KLM's first Embraer 195 is en route to Amsterdam (looks smart in the Flying Dutchman colour scheme) and will no doubt be seen around the UK soon linking to AMSTERDAM.

nIVSY
They are due to be used on AMS-MAN-AMS.

Darren
You should get some good early pics Darren, think also Newcastle/Edinburgh/Glasgow/Bristol to get the Embraers although heard a rumour that KL have also found another 4 Fokker 70's that they are going to bring in.

Nivsy
I wonder can anyone tell me some more about my flight, seat arrangement, meals, entertainment etc.

Flight KL1088 from Man - AMS, Flight KL 0809 AMS - KUL on Friday 9 Jan departing AMS at 16.40 and then departing AMS at 20.45.

Return KL4102 KUL - AMS, Flight KL1073 AMS - MAN on Wednesday 21 January at 23.45 and 07.20.

The main things I wanted to know is:

* What food (if any) will be served on each leg of the journey, I was abit worried as the long part is at night but we'll have left home at midday so do we need to eat at MAN before we get the flight to AMS?
* Are drinks included or do we have to pay for these?
* What is the seat configuration?
* What is the IFE and will there be tv's in the seat backs?

We flew Singapore Airlines last year so I'm prepared for it to be not as nice? (Am I right in thinking this?)

Many thanks for all your helpful information.

Jo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.