Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Hi,
The 'legal' age of drinking in a public place is still 18. Is it strictly adhered to like the UK? No, It's all down to the individual hotel/barstaff. As long as they look somewhere near age and don't throw it down their necks till they're sick, I can't see it being a problem.

You're still travelling within Europe so as long as you have a UK passport you won't need a visa.

As for the individual hotel I can't really help but English will get you by pretty much anywhere on the island. Some of the older locals also speak Italian but I don't know many that speak French.
But the odd few words in Greek are always appreciated.
never ever seen anyone get refused a drink for being underage in all my years working on rhodes,that said if a really young kid tried to get a drink i wouldnt serve him,but we're talking young like under 16 :cheers

greece is in the EU so no you wont need a visa,and as for the language,well kolymbia is an established resort that's had british visitors for years so the locals all pretty much speak english,you may also find a lot of them are australian greeks,never met a greek that understands a word of french though,italian yes,especially on the formerly occupied islands like rhodes,many also speak german to some extent,again because of german visitors being so numerous.

Kolymbia is a lovely little resort,a good introduction to greece,but please dont stay in your hotel for all your meals and assume the buffet food is in any way greek,there's some great restaurants in resort,the food is one of the attractions for a lot of people who visit the country and it would be a huge shame to miss out.

:sun2
Awesome, thanks so much guys. Looking forward to it even more now. 3 more days and I'll be on the plane!
you'll love it,and you'll love the island,you really MUST get out and about,by any means available,go and see all the main sights,a few of which are near your resort

:tup
Will definitely try to. Where would you recommend to go that's near where we are staying?
Well depends on transport,will you have a car,i'd recommend it!
Epta piges(seven springs) is just up the road to kolymbia,lovely place,basically a series of streams and natural springs so clear you can drink it straight from the ground,there's a few walks around the woods there,a tunnel that goes through to a lake and taverna where you can sit outside by the water for lunch. Lindos isn't far down the coast,you only need to google the place to see why people flock there,speaks for itself! Also i'd bin the map and go off exploring,it's not that big an island so getting lost is virtually impossible! other than that there's a list of 'usual sights' as long as your arm,there's watersports on Faliraki beach,there's the mountain villages of Siana(buy souma here),embonas and the vinyards,prasonisi island,the views from the roads up the west coast,rhodes town by day or night,the butterfly valley,mussolini's mansion....

for a REALLY good day out try the isis land rover safari,reaches places average jeep safari's can't and english drivers,they pick up from the main hotels in the morning and you get a full day out around the island's more rugged places

http://www.rhodessafari.com/

i could go on and on and on and on...... :yikes
WOW! OK, there seems to be a lot aha. Unfortunately we don't have a car but we'll see what we can do.

One last question, what's the sea like at the beach in Kolymbia. Like is it cold, warm, clear, murky, etc?
the sea all down the east of the island is very calm,very clear and should be pretty warm once you're in,there's lots of shallow areas on kolymbia beach and plenty of rocks and what to snorkel over and the beach itself is mostly sand but mixed in places with shingle and pebbles,however there are better beaches if you want pure golden sand,the easy to reach ones are Faliraki main beach(best watersports by miles and plenty else to do),pefkos beach is nice also and if you have transport then the beach at Agathi,just off the haraki turning off the main road down the east coast. beaches on the other side of the island(ixia,kremasti,ialysos,trianda etc)are mostly pebbles,high winds almost non stop and the sea gets VERY rough at times. prasonisi beach is something else entirely,it's a huge sand causeway that goes accross to the little island,one side is the med,one the aegean,rough sea one side calm sea the other and most visitors drive accross it,the road down to it from kattavia is very picturesque too,crossing through the army tank training ranges and ending at the beach where there's a couple of shops,tavernas etc,good place to go to watch the kitesurfers.

car hire is cheap and hassle free,driving on the island is easy,the roads are 99% paved nowadays and well maintained,well signposted and there's very little traffic anywhere apart from parts of rhodes town,but compared to the UK they're deserted.

have fun :sun2
Hi, I will be travelling with 7 others in May on a diy holiday to the Holiday Village in Kolymbia, could someone please suggest any transfer ideas with approximate prices. We are flying with easyjet. Thanks, Gareth. :cheers
The current taxi fare is 39€ and they seat a maximum of 4 so you'd need 2. Don't worry about pre booking though, the companies that do this normally charge a premium and there are always taxis waiting at the airport.
Other than that you could try the transfer companies such as http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/airporttransfers/apcriteria.aspx or http://www.a2btransfers.com/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.