Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
£500 total would of had kittens if i paid each
Julie
I'm afraid insurance companies may not accept kids being tired as a valid excuse for spending double (2 adults +3 kids = £253 by train) what you could have got away with. There was also the option of one way car hire which would have been about the same once petrol and extra fees for child seats etc. had been added. And this assumes that you are covered for airline failure.
tried the one way car hire with 6 componies no one had a car for us and people who reply you should of done this or that maybe havent got kids and realise how hard it is.
You do just want to get home Julie.

Hopefully you will be told today if you have a claim or not . best of luck .
Just found this....

(Sorry about the link format - not allowed to post links as I'm a site newbie).

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=60588

Can anyone confirm the veracity of this article ? Or do we wait a couple of days - let the dust settle - and then given AtlasJet a call ?

Thanks
Paul
  • Edited by David 2010-06-28 10:01:17
    Post edited to insert weblink and remove copyright protected text
It sort of suggests that when things are sorted the originally planned flights will go and people with KTHY tickets will be carried. But no mention at all about those who should have flown during the suspension.

There's also an odd angle to consider. Insurance policies have clauses that refer to Government Action - but the Turkish Northern Cyprus Government isn't legally recognised by most countries including the UK (see the complicated wording on the posters in UK airports about customs allowances from Cyprus).
I've also been following that story since last night paul . Fingers crossed . I think I would be more inclined to ring atlas jet for the truth TBH . Nobody seems to have been given any truth by KTHY all week .

My nephew and family are booked direct with KTHY so waiting for the dust to settle . He hasnt booked new flights but has been in contact with his CC people. They have their own apartment so things are not as desperate as far as exact dates are concerned

His sister in law and her family (going with them) has booked her flights via dial a flight . They knew nothing about the problems with CTA on Saturday but have rang her back and provisionally rebooked her on BA flights just in case . thought that was excellent service .

lyn
I have sent an email to AtlasJet to seek information - as we travel in 3 weeks time. Ringing AtlasJet was not helpful -no answer (but then it was outside normal Turkish office hours - website claims 24x7 service).

For anyone else who needs information - then send a mail to ->

customerrelations@atlasjet.com

I also included publicrelations@atlasjet.com (hoping it persuades them to make a public announcement).

The more mails they receive - perhaps the more likely we will receive a positive outcome ?
I will let people know what replies I receive (if any).

Cheers
Thanks Paul .

He's going to get Turkish FIL to try calling in the hope of getting some sense. Don't surpose he will get anywhere until tomorrow but will tell him to email too .

Lots of confusion and understandable panic here too . http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/planes-trains-automobiles/37908-cyprus-turkish-airlines-bust-15.html
Just had a text from family friends who also travelling KTHY in a few weeks.

There is a statement on kthy.net - claiming that all pending flight tickets will be honoured.
Don't know the specifics and haven't had the information therein confirmed - but I feel a little more comfortable with the situation.
The only message I can see on kthy.net Paul is the same message that has been displayed all week .
MIL has just had a conversation in Turkish was Atlasjet and they have told her they will NOT be honouring any KTHY tickets and they should contact KTHY . They also only fly to Antayla . We are hoping something has been lost in translation here or staff are still not properly imformed. Maybe any honouring of tickets by atlasjet still need to be made via KTHY :que
I think this more or less confirm things http://cmss.atlasjet.com/en/faq

scroll down to regulation for KTHY passengers

They are not Guaranteeing seats at all . Reads to me like they will be slowly adding and reselling the Kthy slots under extra flights .Turn up on the day of your flight with your Kthy tickets and if there are any seats left you have a Free flight . It appears to be the Turkish/cyprus government who correct me if i'm wrong own CTA are the ones saying flights will be honoured and not atlasjet , presumably so they don't have to make any refunds . What a sorry situation and quite frankly who on earth is going to chance their holiday by turning up for their flight on a "hope and prayer" . That is complete :swear
Of course underneath it gives you the option of booking your flight again with them .
Yes suspended. Just got to DLM to find out!

They said no flights so need to buy and claim on my insurance. I'm scared. Any advice please re, claiming cost etc.?????
Oh Ruth .I do hope your ok . I know it's just you and your young daughter there. I hope you are being looked after . I do know that Atlasjet are flying KTHY passengers on a "If theres room you can get on basis" but Dalaman is not on their route , only Antayla so that won't be of much good.

If the flight is cancelled you may be able to get compo if they cover you for airline failure but technicaly the grey area is still whether KTHY have actually gone bust . if they havnt maybe you will get something back on the basis of a "cancelled flight but do get something in writing from them there at Dalaman .

Your credit card if you paid that way will cover you for that flight but not as far as I'm aware for cost of a new one .

have a read through this http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=125&pagetype=90&pageid=9522

Good luck
lyn
Hello All...

Well we are finally back in Manchester!! Set off from Icmeler to DLM on Sat at 03:30 only to find out as you guy's knew that our flight due at about 06:00 would not be going anywhere... I got to DLM with my 4 year old who was tired and groggy at about 05:00 and it was then that we found out that we would not be flying with KTHY. There was a rep from KTHY there but although he was nice and tried his best he was not that geat, not much he could do really. The flights that day (Sat) to Mcr were all full and the next one was something like 02:00 the following morning. Only other option was a London, Birmingham flight.

At about 06:30 the KTHY rep found a rep from Goldtrail who said he could get me on a flight to Mcr that was leaving at 07:00 on the Sat, so instantly really. However, he just wanted £200 cash and no receipt, Mmm... I said no, the rep started shouting at me. It was awful, I just told him to go away. No nice at all. I feel like mailing the company but I don't have the rep's name though so little point I guess.

The KTHY rep advised me to wait until 09:00 until desks opened so I could book a flight. It was strange really as only Easyjet would sell a ticket at the airport. Why is this? In the end I asked the rep to contact a Turkish friend as I was getting highly stressed by this time...lol

In the end I waitied until 09:30 and then went to the Havas, who confirmed no seats for that day, only option was standby. I just said no, not prepared to wait at DLM incase 2 people did not show. So I booked flights for the following day and went back to Icmeler for an additional day and a half!! A friend arranged a transfer and I paid £30 for accommodation at same appartments I left. I just had to give money for pertol for transfer. I know I won't get this back but it was either that or stay at DLM on standby or go to London. I chose Icmeler!!! I'm laughing now but it was awful. Nobody to help really just relied on kindness of those from Havas which I must say were all great, eased my feares, dried my tears and comforted my darling daughter.

My parents were in Icmeler where I was staying too so I just wanted to get back there and start all over with new flights booked rather than uncertainty with a little one. Had it been only me I may have sat it out or gone to London, but with children it's a different ball game.

Well, today I will start to try and re-claim monies for flights. I have receipts for transfer and accomodation but am not to fussed about that really, just flights. Any tips on where to start? I guess insurance and CC company??

Other than that we had a great time and the final day extra was so funny as people were just suprised we were back and since being home the jokes have continued...lol... :cheers

We will be back soon.x
Pleased to see you back safe and sound Ruth . Probably better you didnt know as it would no doubt have spoilt your holiday. All this kicked off a couple of days after you went .

Ill pm you as much info as I can . My nephew has rebooked his flights and credit card company has said everything should be fine for a refund if they have had their license to fly revoked. He has printed off evidence as much info as possible to put in with his claim.

Have you spoken to your travel insurance and credit card yet?
Travel insurance through the Post Office cannot do anything as flight not 'cancelled', which I think is about right as others have said. So travel insurance cannot really help me with anything re monies to claim back for cost of new flights to return to Mcr. In the end they were £229 from Easyjet, which was actually a really good flight.

CC company have been great, they will refund half of the ticket price i.e. for return flight with KTHY(£172) and the expenses, which were £30 for accommodation and £120 for return transfer back to Icmeler. But we will see what happens, today when I spoke with them they said it was no problem re transfer and accommodation providing I had receipts.

I must say though, on the flight on they way out I did think to myself that I would not book with them again. The aircraft was old, staff grumpy and engine made a funny noise. I did not feel safe at all. When I got to DLM to find the news I have been blissfully unaware of I was not suprised really. :think

Oh well, a great time was had, some additional cost incured but overall I cannot let this spoil what was a fantastic holiday. :cheers

Hopefully CC will pay up but I will read through the KTHY threads you provided me with. Thanks.
ABTA wants action for Cyprus Turkish Airlines passengers

ABTA chief executive Mark Tanzer has called for action over the Cyprus Turkish Airlines failure which has left passengers with forward bookings in the lurch.

The national carrier suspended flights recently after which rival airline Atlasjet stepped in and took over with a 51% share in the airline.

Atlasjet said it would take over the 12,000 bookings on Cyprus Turkish Airlines' books but ABTA is reporting agents saying that flights are being offered but not to the same airport.
"In some cases, the flights are to Ankara which is a nine-hour transfer to some of the resorts," said an ABTA spokesman.

Tanzer said: "It is clear that customers are exposed and that we need a comprehensive system of financial protection that includes tour operators and airlines."

With permission from Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.