Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I'm not sure they are offering anything to Cyprus. KTHY has always been an odd setup linked to the even odder legal status of northern Cyprus. It was actually registered in Turkey but the safety certificate was issued in Cyprus. They ran a lot of flights from Europe to Turkey as well as Cyprus and it's some of those that are being sort of covered by Atlasjet.

The status of Ercan airport is a bit weak. Since the Turkish invasion Ercan had the monopoly on flights to the northern part of the island, which in turn meant Kibris was in a strong position as most other European airlines didn't want them (they had to land in Turkey first due to their own country not recognising the government in northern Cyprus). Then Turkey started trying to get into the EU and as one of the concessions recently allowed (forced the locals) border restrictions to be eased so that people could use flights into Larnaka, which gave a choice and cheaper fares. Kibris started losing lucrative passengers - and the rest is history!
Thanks for the reply Steve - I am aware of the status of Ercan (and that of the TRNC) as I flew with KTHY to Ercan (via Izmir) early last year and then to Larnaca with BA later in the year (and had a taxi waiting to take me across the border to Famagusta). my concern was that people are being told that they can not claim on their insurance (Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance) as KTHY have not actually "gone under" - just suspended operations. Atlas have stepped in (of sorts) and are flying KTHY ticket holders from the UK to the Turkish mainland and back - but what is happening to those holding KTHY tickets to TRNC? Are Atlas flying them to Turkey and then they have to stump up for flights to Ercan and back out of their own pockets or are they having to cough up and fly to TRNC with Pegasus or Larnaca with BA/Cyprus AW with no hope of recompense for their useless KTHY tickets?

Cheers,
Ralph
As you say, the big problem is that they haven't formally gone bust and even if an insurance policy covers SAF it usually specifies "insolvency" (that' a recent change, did someone see this sort of thing coming?). Various of the press releases mention the safety certificate was withdrawn after they failed to pay outstanding fees but I think you'd have a hard time in court if you tried to argue that not being able to pay bills is equal to insolvent (OK, to most of us it is but I'm sure the law says something more specific!). The bottom line is that I don't think people will get back anything more than original fares from credit card companies.
The more I read the more confused I become!! I was recently stranded at Dalaman on one of the 'none' flights back to Manchester. Purchased new flight from easy jet. The Post Office have told me to submit a claim under 'scheduled airline failiure' which I'm just in the process of sending off. BUT I'm not actually convinced they will ultimately process it due to the technicality re liquidation, although they have advised me to submit the claim... :tongue

All I can do is sent and wait and fall back on the CC company of they shun me!! Grrr... Nowhere to turn really... hey! ho! :cheers
ruth

you need to read your policy carefully (as they will!). And make sure it's the copy in force on the day you bought not the current version which may have changed.

SAF used to be just that, if the scheduled airline failed to transport you then you were covered. Now the condition of insolvency has crept in to some, and as you know KTHY weren't actually declared insolvent.
Hi...

Reading my policy I'm not convinced they will pay out, wording's around 'insolvency', but they not gone into administration as such. SO I don't know if I should send it to them as they said OR go straight to CC company....???? Dilemma...

Do you forse any problems re CC company???

It's just a mes really and I'm £350 out of pocket! Great!
Ruth,
The CC company is probably the best route as the consumer protection element is to cover failure to provide the product or service and, as far as I know, does not require the product/service provider to have actually declared insolvancy.

Cheers,
Ralph
Definately CC company. But they may only refund the cost of the original useless tickets not the replacements and other expenses.
I feel like just going straight to CC company. I know 'fortis' have said submit claim to them but the wording of the policy and the KTHY situation means they could well reject. They just wasting my time really as my gut feeling is they don't need pay out under their terms.

I have CC claim form. I'll just go to them as the more it goes on it just irritates me! After CC payout for return leg of KTHY journey I think I'll be about £185 out of pocket. Oh well...

Guess I'll check flight in future before leaving resort. Could have saved 100 on transfer.

Keep smiling... Happy holiday's everyone!
ruth we had the same problem with kthy our insurance said they wouldnt pay out so went straight to our credit card compony and its took 4 weeks to get return money back i hope you kept your origenal flights on your emails because you will have to email them to cc compony, i am know pushing for the other 500 pounds we paid to get home as well as these were put on our credit card, if we do get it back means we are only about 100 pound out of pocket, wont put me off going to turkey though looking for next year but airlines seem dear.
How do we find out when Kibris do go into liquidation? The auc e-mailed me today to say they have ceased trading but not that they have registered themselves as insolvent so visa chargeback won`t deal with us until they have registered but how do we find this out?????????? Anyone know????????? :que
Itchy

When were you due to fly ?

As I understand it, the protection includes failure to provide 'goods'.

If you approach the bank AFTER the flight dates then they have clearly not supplied the 'goods' wether they are in liquidation or not. If they don't pay - take them to the ombudsman - only the cost of a stamp.

John
I was due to fly Dalaman-Stansted on 27th June and have also paid for return flights for September from Stansted, 5 flights in total 1 already passed without flying. We have tried the bank, Barclays, repeatedly with no joy and thought todays news from the auc.org.uk would help but no, the bank say that to claim under the visa chargeback scheme the company must be in liquidation. Do you think this is the case or misinformation? In your opinion should we contact the ombudsman? :que
Not sure whether they have ever been declared insolvent - or even whether the Turkish process is anything like in the UK, for all I know it may be that a Turkish company can simply close down and walk away. Last I heard they had simply had a licence suspended which meant they couldn't fly and at least two other airlines were talking about taking them over.

And the card companies are trying it on!

Did you buy something with their card? Yes
Did you get what you paid for? No
Are we entering an area covered by the Consumer Credit Act? Quite definately!
More flights to Turkey and Cyprus

Turkish airline Pegasus has added more flights from the UK to Turkey and Northern Cyprus during the summer peak to fill the gap left by the grounding of Cyprus Turkish Airlines' services.

More info in our Pegasus Airlines Q&As topic, please click here.
some good news today thought my cc compony were only going to pay out for return jouurney we missed with kthy but they have made it up to the pound with what we paid for extra flight, now they have asked for proof of extra money that we paid out for taxi from gatwick to manchester even though i paid that out on debit card all this has only took 4 weeks so well happy.
I think that is fantastic news. I've sent mine off to Natwest now detailing everything including all costs incured. Fingers crossed...

I tell you, worst time ever being stranded and the battle continues.

Ruth.
News for me too. CC company put cost of ALL flights from KTHY in my bank 2 day's ago, even though I only posted forms off on the 27.07.10. They gave me cost of both outbound and inbound flights, which I was suprised about.

So great news really.

Thanks for all your help.
Ruth
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.