Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Lagos 2015
15 Posts
I really like Lagos, yes it's windy but during the day it can be a welcome wind. I know what you mean about the evenings though. We used to have to cross the bridge at the Marina to get into town and nearly got blown away :rofl
We went to Lagos years ago love the town the sea front where they cooked the sardines our private apt was quite a walk away from the town but never the less we really enjoyed Lagos will go back in the future..
We came back from Albufeira recently. Went to lagos for the day and really liked it.
I think there comes a time when you have to say to yourself, they never give us a flyer for the disco any more! is it because I am to old now and they don't want the oldest swinger in town in there disco and fun pubs. So you have to look at other places to have a holiday, Lagos and Tavira are local towns that have tourist as well and Albufeira is more of a tourist town. I still like Albufeira but do not go to the strip any more and I am not that keen on music street with its over the top cocktails with those straws you can put your drink on the floor and still sip up the straw. I do like bars that have music on them as well as a quiz and I also like to do a song on the Karaoke now and again, but the thing I like about towns like Tavira and Lagos is that you can mingle with local say at the fish markets and see how every day life goes on. You don't tend to get the waiters standing outside there restaurants trying to get you in, that puts me off and I never go in them if they do. These towns are not full of so called British or Irish bars with poor food and over the top prices for a drink. So I think it is all down to age and as I am over 60 perhaps this why they don't give me the flyers any more and although I was brought up in the swinging 60s and remember my Mum saying that's not music, todays boom/boom/boom music is not for me any more. well its a more relaxed holiday now days and I think that's why I keep away from the mad resorts and go to Tavira and Lagos, also why I am going to Los Giganties in Tenerife and the party town of Playa del Americas each to our own, happy holidays.
Dave.
You should have a look at La Carihuela Costa Del Sol Dave. It's lovely there. Nice long, flat promenade that stretches into Torremolinos one way and Benalmadena the other. Lots of local restaurants, fresh sardines being cooked outside the beach bars.

We've been 3 or 4 times now.
Really need to get back to Lagos as had a lovely holiday there, every time I see a post on here that mentions it in the title I feel nostalgic. But only just discovered Pollenca in Majorca and that place is pulling me back as well. Too many lovely places and not enough time or money.

Doe :sun2
You can't beat Lagos - I just love it! So much so four years ago I bought an apartment here. Never had a really bad meal and there are loads of lovely restaurants to choose from. It is an interesting Town that isn't a purpose built resort and so it retains character. As for the people, lovely, genuine people. Great Place.
So it's not long now, we have just paid for our holiday to Lagos. Next week on Friday we will be on count down 10 weeks to go. I have been looking on another site ( no names no pack drill ) and have got 19 restaurants some old some new, along with some new pubs to try, we are going to the Tivoli Lagos for the second time, we found the first time that there is plenty of room round the pool and the free bus to the beach with free sun beds, makes this very good. They do a very nice breakfast so with there very nice rooms it should make for a very good two weeks.
I'm sure you'll have a great time Dave. We're off to Fuerteventura this year :tup
Hello Glynis, what part are you going may have been. Perhaps I could give you some tips.
Corralejo Dave. We are hiring a car as we like to explore so all tips very welcome. Thanks :tup
Just to let you know, it is now only two weeks to go and we will be there.
As you said earlier one of the attractions of Lagos is the mixture of locals and tourists. There is a restaurant, that very few tourists use but the local workers and the expats use, called Atalaia round the back of Intermarche http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189117-d3392999-Reviews-Atalaia-Lagos_Faro_District_Algarve.html
I only recommend it for lunches as I have never tried it in the evening. The lunches are among the best value in Algarve olives 3 courses, wine, coffee at least 6 choices main and 4 sweet €8.5
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.