Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I think the big questions are where are you flying to Santorini from and how are you travelling in Italy? Of the two lakes I'd go with Garda but Como is much more convenient for Malpensa airport. Both the lakes have a variety of tourist resorts (more so Garda) so you need to pick carefully - if you want a quiet romantic spot you don't want a place with a noisy family campsite! Como, especially south end, is within the upmarket commuter belt of Milan. Just to confuse matters even more, there is the third option of Lake Maggiore which is even more convenient for Malpensa and has some potential - but again you need to research the detail.
I've worked in Italy for many years, there is nothing in either of them they are both beautiful places although Garda is more tourist orientated.

Garda is served by Verona airport although it's not too far to Venice airport.

Como on the other hand has numerous airports nearby, Malpensa and Linate in Milan, Bergamo airport is within 30 mins drive as well.

It's not too far to Turin either.

So if you're planning on flying down to the Greek islands i would go to Como.
Thanks, this is what we thought!
To be honest I think we prefer the sound of Lake Como so will probably go there, now we just have to decide on where to stay!
Any thoughts?!
x
Unfortunately Como is the least visited of the three! I can only rember one previous post on it, but there is a note about resort and hotel for you to start with - see http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134895
It's some years since I visited Lake Como, as I tend favour Lake Garda but I do remember Bellagio and Tremezzo as being particularly beautiful places, very romantic and either would be the perfect place to spend your honeymoon. Sorry I can't help with hotels though.
Have you checked out Trip Advisor as I'm sure you will find lots of info. on Como.
The company that runs the ferry service has a good website in English at http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc.html - also includes interesting introductions to each town and some useful links. And you can switch to either of the other two lakes if you change your mind.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.