Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I hope not!!! - we are going to LG (Limone) on Saturday and they love me too!! I came back spottier than a dalmation from Crete last year!!
Will let you know when we get back if it is a problem - taking replellant just in case!!
Never had a problem with mossies on Garda.
I live in Southern Germany and travel down to Lake Garda on a pretty regular basis (it's only a few hours drive). Have stayed in Garda, Bardolino, Sirmione, Riva, Malcesine and Limone over the years and each place has it's own charm. Mosquitos have never been a problem apart from one very hot wet august but I always take some repellent with me.
just got back from 5 nights gard 2 nights venice 1hr 15 minutes away - the best holiday ever -never been to croatia , but Garda Town was nice and lots to see and do
Just to suggest you go to Lake Garda. I have been pricing up individual travel and accommodation in Croatia for a possible summer visit this year, and the hotels (and guest houses/private accommodation) are incredibly highly priced ......
Hi,
I'm leaning towards Lake Garda for my honeymoon. My husband-to-be and I are wanting somewhere with lots to see and do but romantic as well. We love castles and museums,boats trips etc. Which area of Lake Garda would you recommend? Are there plenty of ferries to other areas of the Lake and how much does it cost?We want to stay in a good quality hotel at a reasonable price any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Good grief I could write a book!

Like you hubby and I love museums, site seeing, ancient history, good food, good wine ! and scenery .. oh we love Italy! Can't think of anywhere more romantic than Italy - we did Sorrento, but having been to lake garda twice since then it is easily as wonderful!

(Must admit, if you like museums, history etc then Sorrento may be worth thinking about too and we've just found a lovely hotel that is really reasonable for next year!!!! £800 pppn half board mid August with sea view!)

It all depends what you like - scenery / high mountains - stunning - go to the Northern end - Limone is really quaint - the moon goes down behind the mountains opposite and shines across the lake - ahhhhh
Malcesine - across from Limone - stunning - a castle - quaint / authentic etc etc
Riva del Garda - all of the above with stunning scenery , a beautiful lake side walk, close to Torbole - also stunning - and it has a castle where they have evening concerts. an ancient watch tower, lovely hotels - etc etc etc

The southern end of the lake is about 30 miles away - there you have warmer weather - Sirmione is lovely - Roman ruins and a castle to investigate - and lovely authentic streets etc

Getting around is easy - the boats run frequently and are really cheap

From Garda towns you can visit Venice and Verona - Romeo and Juliet etc etc. venice, say no more, verona has a Roman amphitheatre and open air Opera each evening - stunning.

Could go on and on and on -

Hotels - know quite a bit about a number - just e-mail and ask. Some in Riva are on a busy main road and that is worth knowing!

Don't know if it's worth thinking about but Crystal do a twin centre - a few days in Venice and then 10 days in any Lage Garda resort - or a twin centre. We're doing a week in Bardolino at the Hotel Gritti followed by a week in Riva del garda at the Europa. Will let you know what it's like after!
This means we get the chance to site see easily at both ends of the lake and for the first week we are near to Verona and plan to see the opera.

This web site below is great. It gives you 360 degress views of places and really good info re the hotels - their on - line sites.

http://www.lagodigardamagazine.com/

Any questions, please ask or e-mail - will be only too happy to help -

Us Prestos
Hi,
Anyone know of any nice Lake Garda self catering apartments?? I'm searching for my parents who much prefer self catering to hotels.They haven't decided which area of Lake Garda to go to yet so any suggestions would be great??

Thanks
Ok I'm on the 17 day countdown until my trip to Garda.

What in your expert opinion are the 5 must-dos around this area? I know there are far too many things to pack into 14 days and I want to relax as well!!

Loking forward to be inspired. :wink:
I would recommend a day in Verona (catch the bus) and a trip to Sirmione (beautiful) by water transport. There is so much to do you will have to chose just a few things. You could do a day in Venice also, but it is long and tiring. Also walk from Garda into Bardolino along the lakeside, it is a lovely walk.
Thanks Chixi. They all sound good. As you say there is probably just too much to do in this area! 8)
How far is it to Venice? and is it better to do it independently by train or on organised trips?
Hi tasted mallow

Venice is quite a long way

Our 5 best things to do:

Verona Opera - even if you hate opera give it a go just for the experience

Sirmione - the castle and wonderful town just down the lake

A wine tour ----------- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The top end of the lake via a ferry - Limone, Malcesine or Riva - all stunning scenary -------------- heaven

The toilet we found in Sirmione ....................... it was a huge metal thing and once inside you were given a time limit before it cleaned itself ....................... with jets of water from the roof .......... a stunner ......................

Sorry have never got over that!

:pele
Well Presto...that certainly sounds different!
Have considered the opera, but unless you pay a lot you're on stone terraces & my husband has back trouble which this would not help.......but haven't ruled it out!
Hi,

Know what you mean about the steps. I was ok because I'm only 5 ft tall.
Hubby on the other hand is tall and he found the sitting on the steps hard doing - he sometimes has back trouble and thinks it would be unbearable for any length of time.

We visited Verona on a day visit and had the chance to see the arena. Why not go on a day visit yourself and see the sites and then you can judge for yourself re how your hubby may or may not cope.

(Now the toilets in Sirmione - no such problems ....... :lol: )

:wink:
any recomendations of where to saty for 2 adults in lake garda doe mid august- we would like to travel from there to rome perhaps?
hi

we stayed in Riva in the Astoria Park Hotel a couple of years ago and it was excellent - modern hotel, great facilities, super pool area with superb view/backdrop of the mountains.

Riva itself is a lovely town with great bars and restuarants and well located for day trips etc

enjoy!

Robert
hi does anyone no if you can rent out speed boats in garda italy and is it expensive? thanks
Hi everyone, just come back from 2 weeks at the La Perla hotel in Garda. Can recommend the hotel, brilliant new 25x30m pool, clean throughout, pool towels and large bathroom towels, good service, only ate in the hotel one night and wasn't impressed so we ate out but a good choice nethertheless.
Garda was great, best town on the lake for restauants, pizzerias, shops etc and not as expensive as Bardolino, Latzise (full of Americans) and Sirmione.
Weather was 30-38 degrees & sunny 1st wk, 25-30 & thundery 2nd wk.
British are very welcome here, most waiters speak some english. Good restaurants are Casa Lady and Piccolo Hotel and a spanish restaurant.
Only 2hrs to Venice, 1hr to Verona.
Best holiday I've ever had :D :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.