Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
You will find a lot of useful information about Garda Lake at http://www.lakegarda.com - they also have an extensive listing of properties for rental on each town around the lake.
Hi, my partner and myself are hoping to go to Garda or Bordolino in June/July this year and are wondering if it is a very expensive place to go to regarding food/drink etc.
We're trying to make our minds up over going to Lake Garda vs Croatia and are pulling our hair out as they both seem perfect. :?
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Well if you can't chose between them, you can drive from Lake Garda to Croatia (Istrian Peninsula) (via Slovenija) in about 6 hours! (Not a joke - have done it!)

Bardolino and the Lake Garda area are not over priced if you shop and eat where the locals do, and enjoy local produce. Croatia is probably cheaper (and boy do they want your Euros!) but the local wine is less to my taste than that of Italy!!

I believe that there are also ferry crossings from Italy to Croatia, so you could always do a cheap flight to Orio del Serio/Bergamo and use train, boat and bus to get around and fly back from Pula (if Ryanair open up there in time) or Ljubljana. HTH a bit.
I was in Bardolino last year and it was one of my best holidays to date. It was the perfect base to visit the other lakes and we found it reasonably priced. We will definately be going back.
We had a wonderful 2 week holiday in Garda in 2003. We went early May just at the start of the season and it was perfect. The weather was superb and Garda is a beautiful wonderful town.

We found (towards the end of our holiday) that if you eat/drink at the places away from the lake front you would save yourself quite a few Euros. Prices can vary from place to place along the front so it is worth while to check the menus beforehand. We made a mistake on the Saturday night when down on the waterfront there was quite a bit of entertainment going on. Quite a few bars/restaurants were busy so we sat down at one which was a wee bit quieter. Ordered a couple of drinks and got quite a shock. Now we know why it was quiet!!

It is simply a wonderful atmosphere though sitting down at the waterfront
watching the world go by so you may think it is worth paying that little bit more.

Overall it is on a par with most other places although I cannot comment on Croatia as I have never been although it is a place I would LOVE to visit.

Hope this helps.

Wendy
Hi!

I've never been to Croatia but have heard it is lovely and well worth a visit. However, I have been to Lake Garda twice and am planning another visit this summer (I have a thread open in this forum). Lake Garda is wonderful - there's so much to see and do! I'm sure you wouldn't regret going there. From memory, the prices for eating, drinking out are probably about the same as the UK.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful holiday.

All the best.

Jon
Hi!

I've never been to Croatia but have heard it is lovely and well worth a visit. However, I have been to Lake Garda twice and am planning another visit this summer (I have a thread open in this forum). Lake Garda is wonderful - there's so much to see and do! I'm sure you wouldn't regret going there. From memory, the prices for eating, drinking out are probably about the same as the UK.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful holiday.

All the best.

Jon
Thanks Everyone - Lake Garda it is :D

Helen
Done Dalmatian coast and Istria in the past liked it very much but Garda wins hands down.

It`s the atmosphere does it for me.I just love it so laid back and if you want superb pizzas it`s got to be Italy.Croatia just doesn`t compare but oh alright then it is cheaper.

Roll on June.
Hi there, has anyone been to this resort? Looking for a family holiday (kids age 7 & 3_ not too far from airport as not planning to hire car for duration. Also would ideally like some form of entertainment some nights to entertain kiddies. Has anyone been here and what do you reckon!! Is it suitable for young families?
Hi,

I am staying 10 days on Lake Garda in the summer, and was hoping someone could give me an idea of how much money I'm likely to need!

Staying B&B with g/f so need to cover all eating out, anybody able to give a rough idea?

Thanks.
Hi there,

:wave

Don't know if this is any use at all, but we are going back to Lake Garda in August for 2 weeks - have been twice before.

We usually go half board and take about £500 spending money for 14 days. It's about right - though last year we went to £600. This covers trips, gifts as well as extra food.

Food wise - we actually found some things LOADS cheaper!

Mid day we found a wonderful pizzeria that sold HUGE REAL pizza 'slices' (well pizzas by any other name) for about £1.50 each. They were plenty!
Things like snacks were cheaper than the UK - sounds daft but a wonderful Italien ice cream was something silly like a £1 for a HUGE portion and the food was genuinely food to die for!

Wine - MEGA cheap. Even the hotel wine was only £4.50 a bottle for an evening meal - it was beautiful wine.

There are loads of good supermarkets for midday snacks and a HUGE selection on quality restaurants for meals - how much you spend is up to you. There is plenty of choice.

Must admit, we first went to Italy about 11 yrs ago and the last time was about 3 yrs back so things have moved on since. Am not sure if the Euro has had an effect - we went in the days of the good old lira!

Whatever the cost, we can guarantee that you will have a SUPERB time!

Enjoy!
One of our top possibilities for a honeymoon is Lake Garda.

Could anyone recommend a hotel with a pool, ideally near lots of excellent restaurants and bars :D

Any help appreciated, as havent been to the area before
Hi Itsy

Most of the small towns around Lake Garda are excellent so you will have a wonderful time - our personal favourite was Riva, which is at the north end of the lake, it has a wonderful atmosphere, some nice restaraunts and bars/shops etc.

It is also handy for a day trips up to the mountains or a bit of exploring.

We stayed in the Astoria Park Hotel - superb modern rooms, great pool area with stunning backdrop of the mountains just behind and only 5 mins walk to centre of Riva.

Hope you have a great time

cheers
Robert
Hi

You've made a great choice for a honeymoon!

We've stayed at Riva twice - the whole resort is beautiful. Amazing scenary and open air concerts in the summer. Also Limone - amazing mountains and REALLY romantic at night! Malcesine is similar.

Anway, hotels - it all depends on how much you want / can spend! If you go to Riva I'd definitely go for the Hotel Parc du Lac. It's a stunning hotel, but pricey! We're staying at the Europa this year in the town centre - it looks beautiful - C17th. We've also been told that the Mirage is good.

To be honest just be aware that the ratings in Italy sometimes are a little misleading. If you want 4 star then book 4 star or even 5 star. We sometimes find that the ratings are a little lower than in the UK. Also, we have found in August that we really needed good air conditioning and last time suffered without it! We wont make that mistake again!

If you book in Riva just be aware than some hotels are located on a VERY busy main road. If you want any help e-mail.

Us Prestos
I stayed in the Hotel Du Lac in Bardolino, it was excellent in every way and just a 10 min stroll along the lakeside to the main square which comes alive at night. I would definately go back again to this hotel. Lake Garda is magical and I hope to return there very soon.
We stayed at the Hotel Continental in Garda town a couple of years ago.

It was excellent location, 5 mins walk from the town centre yet in a very quiet residential area. It is a family run hotel, has beautiful views from all the rooms (overlooks lots of greenery) and a wonderful swimming pool, which was not heated!!

We were on a half board basis and the food was excellent too.

If we ever go back to Garda we would definitely stay there again.

Garda town is also a great base for getting about to other towns around the lake. We also loved Riva and would love to stay there but I do think you would be a little bit more isolated. Garda town is also a great place to be in the evening, down by the lakeside, having a drink (or 2) in the many cafes and bars that are situated right by the lake and watching the world go by.
Itsy

Check out the Regina Adelaide and Villa Madrina both in Garda Town.Excellent 4* hotels and well worth the dosh.
We Stayed in the hotel Splendid Palace in Limone, it was excellent.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.