Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi Pete,

bit of a quandary there.

If it were me and there was little or no cost involved I'd be tempted to scrap trip to Hua Hin and see if its possible to get flights to the South and visit areas like Krabi, Phuket, Khao Lak which are which are now coming into high season.

My biggest concern would be Suvarnabhumi flooding as its the hub for all your plans.

Your're problems highlight some of the issues re insurance and complex DIY itineries. For some things we just aren't covered by ordinary travel insurance.

Best of luck...we were looking at Luang Prabang for our next trip, or maybe a return to Siem Reap,
Hi Sunbear - Quandary indeed.

I have now looked at several options. Outgoing as far as Luang Prabang, I can get assistance (hopefully) from Trailfinders with whom I booked the Laos part - fortunately they have "packaged" it, including outbound EVA and LAO airlines flights. So far they have been very helpful and offered a lot of advice.

My flight from Luang Prabang to BKK is with Bangkok Airways and changeable (for a small fee).

My return flights to UK are also changeable (for a £75 per person fee). The Hua Hin part is another matter - not packaged, pre-paid, Club rooms booked directly with Sofitel. I stand to lose quite a bit, unless I can persuade them to hold as a credit for a later trip (we go to Thailand / Indo China fairly frequently).

The biggest problem at the moment is that I do not know whether there will be flooding on 16th Nov., so have no grounds yet to cancel. I will be in Laos from this Thursday, so it will be difficult to follow events or make any arrangements. The official Thai news is vague to say the least - so much so that out FO have had to say regarding breached flood defences, "The extent of this breaching is currently unclear".

We are looking at alternatives - Chiang Mai is a possibility, but the forecast for southern Thailand and Malaysia is not good. No time to get Vietnam visa, Siem Reap would be a possibility, but the south of Cambodia and Vitenam around the Mekong is also suffering.

Much will depend on Suvarnabhumi remaining open / flood free. Still who would want to have a boring first week in Laos with no worries! :think

Cheers

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.