General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Laptop
9 Posts
I wouldn't dream of it. Surely am MP3/PSP would be enough to keep her occupied, a laptop is rather heavy. This item is classed as your hand luggage and seeing as your only allowed one bag each, I just wouldn't do it.
I've only ever seen anyone with a laptop once and she only used it on the plane to watch dvd's. Once at the hotel, she never bothered again till the return flight.
why not just a portable dvd player
it will play music cd's aswell
My son takes his PSP for games and he also puts plenty of movies etc on the memory sticks. He also takes his iPod for mp3s, and now he has a video iPod he can put movies on that too.
I wouldn't bother taking a laptop just for games/mp3s/movies. Laptops are for people who have work to do, and it's too big and heavy compared to an iPod which can be popped in your pocket/beach bag - also, it's very unlikely a laptop will fit into the safe in your hotel room.
Don't know what elctronic goods you daughter has already but to get music, games and DVD's in 1 item you're looking at either a video ipod or PSP. You can download games from itunes for the ipod. If your duaghter already has portable game console, I would go for a portable DVD player which will also play CD's but battery life might not be enough to last whole flight. You can get MP3 players quite cheap which have good battery life on them. I have the itonics 1GB which argos sell and it takes 1 AAA battery which lasts up to 8 hrs. I wouldn't take laptop, too heavy to carry and has to be in your ONE piece of hand luggage. Don't know what rules are on leaving small things in coat pockets though.
Don't know what rules are on leaving small things in coat pockets though.

You wouldn't be able to take iPods, PSPs etc through security in your pocket, you'd set the alarms off - you have to put them in your hand luggage bag, but as they're only small (compared to a laptop) it shouldn't be too difficult to squeeze them in.
We usually have two pieces of hand luggage between three of us (teenage daughter "doesn't do bags") and we manage to fill those two bags with two camcorders, three digital cameras, three iPods (and assorted sets of headphones), two Gameboys, a PSP, assorted game cartridges and obviously our tickets/money/passports etc. At a push we could probably squeeze in a portable DVD player too (especially if teenage daughter agreed to have a bag...) no need for a bulky laptop.
I take my notebook on holiday with me no bother. Use it for MP3s and watching DVD's and for keeping touch with work and a bit of programming if I'm in the mood.
What I was thinking was that MP3 player would be in coat pocket and the coat would be x-rayed. You have to remove outdoor coats anyway. I've never had to take zip up sweat tops off though.
Thanks for the feedback folks.To be honest I didn't really have any intention of letting her take it and I would probably end up having to carry it anyway.I was just curious if anybody had any experience of doing this and the plus/minus points of it.She has a phone which has her music in it and there'll be a TV in the room so i'm sure that will be enough.
I don't really agree that a laptop should only be used for work or is too big or bulky.It's a(albeit expensive) portable entertainment system which I'm sure most people use their computers for.I've seen some bigger,bulkier ghettoblasters in and around airport lounges and once the laptop is in a case with all it's cables,discs etc it can be a fairly compact piece of luggage.I know once you fill a holdall with handheld game consoles,portable DVD players,discs,batteries,chargers etc it can be no smaller or lighter than a laptop case.
Anyway,thanks again :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.