Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
cheers for that, could do with hearing them said though... (don't want much do I... lol )
agreed askcy
maybe someone can give us a break down and pronounce the sylables like in a dictionary :D
I did notice on a trip to Menorca and then kept listening for it ever since...

that it doesn't matter what you get taught someone will always pronounce it differently...

The point in question was saying thankyou (if memory serves in Spanish its Gracias or there abouts..) we read it as "grass cee a55" but when we said that to one person they repeated it back something like "gra thee a55" and someone else "gratsee a55".. etc...

Same thing happened in Cyprus with thankyou (efkaristo in some books, in others efharisto ) that was sometimes with a K sound (like in kitten) and sometimes with a H (like hotel) and any variation of both mixed together....

no wonder they says its all Greek to me...

Steve
you think you have problems, i go to various parts of greece and cyprus and they all pronounce words slightly diffrently just like dialects in the uk but as long as you are about right they will understand and appreciate what you are trying

wizard
and I am, very trying :lol:
ey lad theese been trying fer years, thase even changed thee avatar to confuse an old southerner :rofl
Try here.
Click on the blue words and they play in your media player.

Mark
ephkharistO edwards :D
I have known many try to learn Cypriot Greek here, but unfortunately none have come close to cracking it!, they tell you all you would need is conversational knowledge but even this is so difficult, most Cypriots just answer you back in English as most speak our language very well, and even living here it seems pointless exercises to be very blunt, you learn good morning, how are you, and how much is the bill, basic Greek for good manners, as for holiday Cypriot Greek..My advice is forget it, just enjoy your stay..Yassas..
Jimbox I feel we the English should show some willing and learn other languages, its embarrasing that we don't ! I have several friends from other countries and not only do they speak perfect English they also can get by in at least one other language!
My Malteze mate Speaks Malteze, English, Italian and a little Arabic( due the the languages being similar) I know a bloke who is originally from Iran who came here 30 years ago who speaks perfect English and is now learning Italian.
Yet I struggle to understand someone speaking English from the next village !....

I'd love to learn even basic Greek/Cypriot just so I could follow a conversation around the table or introduce myself and family, ask for meals and drinks etc.... but like every other English person I presume its to difficult and don't bother....

(not having a whatsit at you or anyone else, its just the reason I'd like to at least be able to say good morning, thanks, good night etc with a little bit of confidence and possibly be able to understand any return to what I've said)

Steve
Wizard,

didn't change it to confuse :lol: The site I had my stuff on went bye bye (due to server administrator being uncontactable etc) so I was sick of seeing the Red X (no not that engine treatment)...

Thanks for all the help.

Steve
Mark your link is very useful with the spoken words as well..........

but just looking at the proper Greek spelling of the words !!!!! how difficult is that going to be to learn??????????????????

Steve
Is that a mistake on the website linked above (with the spoken versions)

It says PLEASE is PARAKALO
but also says YOU ARE WELCOME is PARAKALO ???
You are welcome is "Say Parakalo" I think it is anyway :idea:
Steve I meant what I said, I have not known any of my acquaintances and there have been many over the years master Cypriot Greek here, including me, my daughter who has two Cypriot children also has found it very hard, and she is living breathing and eating with Cypriots, and also been living here for over twenty years, it is not a case of being lazy far from it we all try believe me, but when they answer you back in perfect English the task becomes even harder in fact almost impossible, I defy you to try..Kali-Nikta.
gulp !

(I wasn't saying you were lazy, just all of us in general when it comes to learning another language)

Looks like I better aim a little lower, more along the basics and a few odd useful sentences...! :shock:
You will find several words with multiple meanings another coomon one is

Sorry ..... signomi
but also means excuse me

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.