Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Thanks for that Christabel,

Elaine
How are all my fellow students getting on with their Turkish lessons? :lol:
Just had my 4th one and feel as though I am progressing a little......six months until my next trip to Turunc so plenty of time to learn!!!

Another site worth looking at is http://www.turkishlanguage.co.uk

Christabel
Christabel, I'm going to my 4th lesson tonight and i have been sat staring at my homework for the past hour!! Hopefully they will understand me when i stand up and tell them about myself OR they will have a very good laugh at what i have to say. I hope it will also start to get easier for me from tonight. Oh well lets keep trying and i'm sure it won't be long until the lightbulb flickers and then stays on!!

Good Luck to you, will keep you updated.

Diane
Hotdiamond

Im interested in learning turkish. Can you tell me more about the course at Glasgow University...how much? how long lessons are? where and when it on? Also do you know if there are any other institutions in Glasgow where I could learn it?

Thanks for your help
Louise xx
I've just done 3 lessons at Leeds Uni(night classes) We have a really good Teacher who is English!! She is very encouraging and the class format is informal. Next week we are playing bingo to get used to learning the numbers out of sequence. Should be good as i can't remember them in sequence.!!!!
Only problem for me at the minute is finding the recommended dictionary. Any help would be great. Looking for "Altin Sozluk Golden" English/Turkish/English. Can got English/Turkish but that's only half the story.
Hi Louise
I have replied via email.
Good to hear you are interested in learning Turkish - esp as you are in my part of the country!

I too have had 4 lessons - 16 to go

We have a laugh - thank goodness - although the tutor makes sure we concentrate!

Numbers out of sequence - eek! Good luck mrst :-)
Got your email Ann, thanks for the quick response and for all the information! It sounds difficult to learn but im up for the turkey challenge hahaha :lol:
I'm not planning on winning the jackpot. But then again, since we're all in the same boat-you never know. :lol:
Glasgowgirl
We had a new person start the class last night! I suppose as there were spare places due to people dropping out or moving up to intermediate that they will let new people join to fill the spaces! Still got 15 sessions to go if you are interested.
Thanks Hotdiamond, from what you've told me i think id have too much catching up to do. Think it'd be best to wait for the next intake x
Oh my God! Just completed the Tomer placement test and it is so hard, although I passed Basic level 2. I've been having Turkish lessons for 6 months and live in Turkey, but unfortunately as my other half speaks perfect English and I work as an English teacher, thus all my friends are English teachers, I don't have much chance to practice. Also I live in a place with no tourists so when I do try and speak Turkish the locals think I'm stupid rather than foreign!
The grammar is very difficult but unfortunately very necessary, especially the tenses and the person endings, I am studying using the Tomer Intermediate text books and its really difficult and a lot of the more complicated grammar is not really necessary to know to get by on a day to day basis.
Anyway, good luck or iyi sanslar!
I would like to learn basic Turkish does anyone know a good CD to use
any advice would be appreciated
If you go to Page 3 of this Forum, the Oakmans have done a piece about Turkish Language with links to other websites. I have also been on Amazon.co.uk and they have got an Audio CD for sale at £7.50. There is also links from there to Turkish Language websites. Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks cruise controller will have a look

hubby bought me a new sonywalkman mp3 player for christmas thought I could walk home learning the language

probably get a few strange looks but who cares
Be aware that the Turkish Language is not very easy. We downloaded 100 Turkish words from website - English girlfriends of Turkish Men. It will give you a bit of a start before you get onto the CD/MP3. We too are looking at learning some Turkish as we are contemplating moving out there on a permanent basis in the future. Happy to have been of some help to you, take care.
try searching basic turkish phrases and you will find some great sites especially one called anzacday which gives you the phrases in english ,then tukish , and how to pronounce the words .hope this is of help to you

bluepeterno1
Thanks Briar, I knew this subject had come up before which was how I was able to relate to Lynn m our new member.
Sazakli
What did you score on the test?. I tried it but OH MY GOD! I bombed! only 31 correct I was so disappointed Ilearnt some Turkish over 6 months about 12 years ago when I lived out there for a while but obviously now I only get to use it for a week a year now when I'm on holiday so I have forgotton most of it . I was thinking about buying some of there courses but it looks like I would have to go back to basic level. Funny thing is when I'm there I can get by even when the other person doesn't speak English
Thanks for the advice everyone now all I have to do is learn how to work the mp3 player
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.