Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
learning turkish
95 Posts
Hi Suz :)
In my opinion, turkish is not an easy language to learn but if you want to go ahead with it there are a couple of ways you can go about it.
Firstly some colleges run night classes for turkish language but i fear that the term has already started now so you may miss out on that one.
However, for the learner i recommend a p,d,q, turkish course, c,d's and books for you to learn from, you can get these online from amazon for about £ 20, hope this helps. turkish pdq
:wink: Kev :wink:
Hi Suz76- i have started to learn Turkish with a PDQ language course which i obtained from Waterstones for £30. it contains 3 cds and a book and it makes it really easy cos you get the correct pronunciation from the cds! I also bought a 'Lonely Planet' phrase book from same shop for £5 which i carry around to remind me when i am in Turkey- i am lost without it. I find it very good because it spells the phrases the correct way followed by the phonetic way so you know how to pronounce them! you may be able to get these items on amazon or ebay a bit cheaper, so happy hunting and good luck! :wink: Heather.
If you can afford it, private lessons with someone who is fluent. Actually speaking the language with another person on a regular basis is the only true way to learn. When I decided to learn I sought a teacher out and I thoroughly recommend that route. However the Cd's etc recommended are very good especially as revision and reinforcement for the lessons done.
I bought a PDQ learning course from Amazon and a Turkish dictionary and also a phrase book. My cheat though is that I have a Turkish pen friend (well, email friend) who is studying English at Ankara University and we help each other with our english/turkish (although he is fluent in English)! It is a really hard language to learn but just perservere
hi you can now get Tömer language course online from Ankara university
the courses are not too expensive and they are excellent. The best way to learn every language though is to speak it every day with a turk or someone who can speak turkish.
As someone has said its not an easy language because the grammar system is unlike european languages. And its an agglutination language...the words are built up by adding on to the ends..suffixes. without adding the right suffix there is no sense to your meaning. Similarily when you listen to turkish, to understand it you must listen out for the endings of the words. Some of the casettes you listen to are ok for perfect turkish ...but its like listening to bbc english and just as every region has its accent in the uk its the same here. istanbul and ankara turkish is quite easy to understand (and itsx the turkish they use on the casettes)but other regional accents are not so easy. and again like us they use a lot of slang...maybe even more than we do. :)
its a fascinating language once you get the hang of the sentence formation and suffixes you're on your way...have fun.
I have recently started learning Turkish at our local language school and so far have had three 1 1/2 hour lessons. At the moment I am finding it extremely difficult and am wondering how other people have got on. I don't want to give in so soon but would like some encouragement from others who have persevered!!

Christabel
Hi Christabel,

Are you delving into the grammar at your classes? I'm only asking because when I moved onto the grammar from the phrasebook stage, I really struggled, and had to go back over things for ages. Then all of a sudden it was like a lightbulb went off, and things slotted into place. I now understand sentence structure in Turkish, and once you have that, you're halfway there.

If you're struggling, then I would say stick with it a bit longer - the lightbulb will come on eventually :D .

Elaine
Thanks Elaine....we started on the grammar this week and this is the part that I am finding the most difficult. Thanks for your encouragement and I will wait for that "light bulb" to come on!! :lol:

Christabel
Merhaba Christabel I have also just started Turkish lessions 2 x 1.5 hour sessions with another tonight.

I am finding it difficult at the moment especially the grammar side. But I am sure like Elaine says if we stick with it a bit longer than we shall both see the "lightbulb" come on.

Good Luck
Diane x
Thanks Diane and good luck to you too. We will have to post a progress report in a few weeks time to see if our light bulbs have come on ( I have serious doubts about mine!!!!) :lol:

Christabel
I started going to classes two weeks ago. Our classes are 2 hrs long1 I find the pronunication difficult and also my memory is terrible. I'd love a lightbulb to come on too! Good luck and keep posting your progress.
Hi i would love to learn turkish myself does anyone know of any classes in the blackpool area? i have phrase books and tapes but think it would more fun learning in a class of people all together....tracy
Don't know about Blackpool - I am learning at Glasgow University - dept of adult education - evening classes.
Check out your local colleges/universities to see what vocational/language courses they do. They are usually listed on their websites.
http://www.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/centreforcontinuingeducation/

found this at manchester uni - but could't find out anything near Blackpool.
Thinking about it - try your local community education dept - maybe the library will have telephone number. CommEd are good at finding courses

good luck!
the best place to learn Turkish is through Tömer which is organised by Ankara University. they are now offering online lessons for a very low fee. they also do exams at the end of sessions the results of which are recognised ...for exaple should you ever wish to take turkish citizenship.
Just type Tömer language resources into Google and it should come up.
The best way of course is by using the language on a day to day basis...try and find a Turk in your area who would be willing to converse with you. ..believe me all turks like to talk and appreciate friendship.
i learnt turkish through my better half who wont learn to speak english :?
I had a look at the tomer site that shirley suggested and that looks pretty good Unfortunatley I spent 45 minutes doing the placement test (which is not easy) I had to come out of it as child wanted fed! went back and I seem to have lost everything I did so far Grrrrr bCK TO SQUARE ONE!
I have just spent nearly an hour on the Tomer site also....it's quite addictive!! Thanks Shirley.

Christabel
Do you have the weblink for the tomer website with the online placement test?

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.