Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
I was going to book XL flights to Tenerife in Nov :omg but my wife couldnt organise her job with the early departure time so I booked Thomson flights through Flightline.
Flightline arent part of the XL group are they??
hi , my mum in law has booked with freedom direct to go to egypt 23rd this month the flight was a XLA flight, accomodation with youtravel.com , apparently the rooms havent been cancelled if she does this it incurs a charge of? Surely freedom should be trying to transfer this for her, even for a different date. i understand flights are pricey and have to wait 6 weeks for refund for flight after writing letters.
Are Freedom Direct a package tour company ?

I'm not sure about this to be honest. If it is booked as a package holiday the package tour regulations may come into force and they would be obliged to try and sort something out for her.

If they are an accommodation only provider who have booked a flight as well for your MIL then I'm not sure she would be covered. (dynamic packaging)

The onus may be on her to provide herself with another flight so that she can use the accommodation that Freedom direct have booked on her behalf.

Hopefully someone will come along who knows a bit more about this than me. We have a few travel agents who post now and again, who I am sure would know the answer.

Although they are probably all busy working their socks off trying to sort the fall out from this mess.
Hi all, my work colleague and all her family (13 of them) were due to be going to Florida on 4th October. They booked with Travel City as a package at a cost of £7,000 for flights and villa's. They have finally managed to get hold of someone who has told them to complete a form and hopefully they should get their money back. The couldn't get any other flights for the day they were supposed to fly, so have spent the weekend scouring for flights and accommodation. They have managed to get a holiday going on 7th October, but flying to Philadelphia then on to Florida and 3 people have had to max their credit cards in order to be able to book the holiday for everyone. I hope for their sake, it doesn't take too long to get their money back.
Hi all we were due to fly from ireland to bugaria on monday all cancelled 9 of us at the cost of 11 thousand euros travel agent said we should get our money back in ten weeks.
Hoteliers wrongly charging XL customers in resort

The CAA has issued another warning to customers of failed XL Leisure Group after reports that hoteliers have been wrongly charging them for their accommodation at the end of their holiday.

It is urging holidaymakers in resort not to pay hotels direct but to contact the holiday representatives of Thomson, First Choice, Thomas Cook or Virgin Holidays.

It has also assured hoteliers who are concerned they will not be paid that bills from the time of XL's collapse will be settled in full by ATOL.

So far, 158 flights have been arranged to carry 37,150 passengers back to the UK from a total of 38 destinations.

ATOL-protected customers of the failed XL Leisure Group tour operators who are still abroad are reminded that their holidays are financially protected from the moment the company went into administration on September 12.

But passengers who booked directly with XL Airways or the XL subsidiary, Medlife, which sold only accommodation, are not covered by ATOL.

Richard Jackson, CAA director of consumer protection, said: "ATOL offers complete financial protection covering both flights and accommodation.

"If you are covered then you should not have to pay for anything that was covered under your original package. The CAA and tour operators are contacting hoteliersto remind them that ATOL will be picking up the bills from the point of XL's collapse."

With permission from Travelmole
Can't be many people that will have that problem. How many pay for their holiday in cash ? :que
Can't be many people that will have that problem. How many pay for their holiday in cash ?

:think I would imagine there will still be a lot of people who still go in to a travel agent and pay in cash.
Thats exactly how we pay - by cash - cash for deposit, and cash for remaining balance (When due).

Not any more though - just applied, and have been accepted for a credit card - All holidays in future will be paid by credit card - then I'll just transfer from debit account to pay credit card bill at end of month.

Belly
Mmmmmmmmmmm :que

:think Perhaps our aviation expert Dazbo5 (Darren) can through a bit of useful & correct info our way!
Perhaps no surprise that one of the Directors of Freedom Flights (part of XL) has just joined new upstart flight-only company - Kiss Flights. XL failed Friday. Apparently he joined Monday. That didn't take long!
Over 46,000 XL passengers flown home

More than 46,000 passengers left abroad with the collapse of the XL Leisure Group have been flown home in the week since the operator went down.

The 38,000 remaining holidaymakers due to complete their breaks are due to be flown home next week.

A total of 199 repatriation flights have been organised from 40 destinations to bring back the initial 46,765, according to the Civil Aviation Authority.

The CAA's helpline has received more than 84,000 calls from customers, of whom 57,000 learned what they needed to from recordings and 27,000 spoke to helpline agents over the past seven days.

In addition, the ATOL website received more than 148,000 individual views over the week.

Those flown home include passengers booked with XL tour operators, XL Airways and other tour operators that shared XL Airways flights.

The CAA is continuing to work with Thomas Cook, Thomson, First Choice and Virgin Holidays to ensure ATOL-protected holidaymakers can complete their holidays with no extra costs and travel home at the end of their stay.

The flights currently organised by the CAA are from Alicante, Malaga (Spain); Palma (Majorca); Athens, Chania, Corfu, Heraklion, Kalamata, Kavala, Kefalonia, Kos, Lesbos, Mykonos, Preveza, Rhodes, Samos, Santorini, Skiathos, Zante (Greece); Bodrum, Dalaman (Turkey); Cagliari (Sardinia); Faro (Portugal); Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh (Egypt); Bridgetown (Barbados); Antigua, Grenada, St Kitts, St Lucia, Tobago (Caribbean); Larnaca, Paphos (Cyprus); Orlando, Sanford (Florida); Arrecife (Lanzarote); Fuerteventura, Las Palmas, Tenerife (Canaries); Mahon (Minorca).

Arrival airports in the UK are Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, East Midlands, Gatwick, Glasgow, Heathrow, Leeds Bradford, Manchester and Newcastle.

CAA consumer protection director Richard Jackson said: "I want to take this opportunity to thank the industry, particularly the tour operators' overseas representatives, with whom we have worked, for all their extensive efforts on the ground over the course of the past week.

"Their important contribution has greatly helped the smooth repatriation for the vast majority of XL holidaymakers and allowed many others to complete their holidays."

With permission from Travelmole
Have just got letter from bank I HAVE GOT MY XL MONEY BACK :rofl :rofl
Well done Dolphin. :) I dont suppose XL going under will stop you from going back and forth to your second home. Where there's a will there is always another budget carrier.

Glad it worked out for you.

Doe :sun2
Hi all Gabe51 here just to let you no we recieved a full refund from XL 11000 Euros last week.
€11000?
That must be a weight off your mind then.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.