Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Re: Lisbon
62 Posts
Thanks cubsur .

I will sort out a transfer or taxi . My husband is always in a rotten mood after any flight and it's always easier to just pay the money and get us there stress free. :D
They have a system at the airport where you can buy a voucher for a taxi ride to the centre - this avoids "misunderstandings" about the fare and the meter.
Steve,

Can you expand on that if possible. That sounds a good idea to me. Anything that takes stress and rip offs out of the equation.

We will be landing about mid-day on sunday 27th March.

cheers,

pete
The vouchers are sold at the airport at the Ask Me desk in arrivals. They have an English language page at http://www.askmelisboa.com/en/content/taxi-voucher-lisbon-region-daytime which doesn't quite explain the zones. The Oriente and Entrecampos hotel areas are in the first "crown" but I think the Alfama and city centre might be in the second. I suspect that for Oriente they might be dearer than a dodgy meter!

But I'd always recommend checking whether you are staying near a 91 or 96 bus route stop, see http://www.carris.pt/fotos/editor2/citycenter.pdf (that's the artwork for the airport stop signs which is why it says go left or right!). These buses run quite frequently and their tickets can be used for the rest of the day on the Carris network of buses, trams (route 28 is a must), funiculars in hilly streets and the quirky elevators that look like spares for the Eiffel tower. Tickets are €3,50 each from the driver.
Hi Steve,

I wonder if you could give me your opinion of part of an email I received from the guest house where we will be staying and let me know what you think etc.

"The best way to get here from the airport is by taxi (12 to 15 euros) The
insiders tip is to avoid the arrivals taxis and go for the ones in the
departures area. You won't wait and you will probably get a nicer cabby. The
adress is Travessa do Pinheiro, 11, 4th floor (2 minutes aways from the Basilica
da Estrela)".

I was wondering if the voucher system would be better for me.

regards,

Pete
We've discussed that address before!

There is a question that springs to mind that I can't answer - can the vouchers be used with the taxis that have waited at departures instead of sitting on the rank at arrivals?

If yes - and you'd have to check that at the desk - is the address in the first or second zone? If in the first then then the price is probably OK and worth doing to be safe, but if it's in the second zone then it's a bit more than they are telling you for the meter rate. I'll try and dig a bit more into the zones but I'm having problems with broadband and downloading maps is taking ages.
Well, I left booking the Sofitel too late and didn't fancy paying £750 for 5 nights. After hours of wading through hotel reviews( tripadvisor as we never did manage to get Portugal added to reviews, beyond the Algarve), we have gone for Clarion Suites. I know we will have to take taxis at night but I'm not bothered as I've checked prices. We are paying less than half of what we would have to pay at the Sofitel.
This will be the first hotel I've stayed in for years that I can't add a review to here. :(
I'm really looking forward to the trip as Lisbon looks such a pretty place.
I'm going tomorrow fiona .

I have steves instructions printed off and tucked away in my handbag now and just hoping the rain stops . :D
Have a great time Lyn :)
I look forward to hearing how you get on. Even if it rains it shouldn't stop you.
home again .

We had a lovely time in Lisbon . I wouldnt exactly say it was the most attractive place we have been to on a city break and we did wonder initially if we had made a bit of a mistake .There was a protest on when we arrived and it didnt feel very safe. Lisbon is certainly no prague or Paris but it does have a certain amount of charm and it's surprising what a difference a bit of sun makes . It's very forgiving the sun . :D There is a lot of poverty about on the lower street level and why do the elderly portuguese ladies feel the need to gob everywhere .

Glad we stayed in Alfama as we really didnt like the feel of lisbon down below around rossio /baixa . The higher you climbed the nicer the feel .

We seemed to spend a lot of time messing about with transport cards and metro stations.
On arrival at our hotel we asked where the nearest place was for getting the 7 colinas card and was told only at the metro stations.

We stayed up in alfama for our first evening and most of the next day so didnt purchase one until later the next day .
Lot's of machines within the metro station but I still panicked a bit and went in search of a human. Both booths were closed so Dave sorted the machine while I stood and flapped because there wasnt a 7 colinas card available . It's now a green card with the words viva viagem printed on it and it was easy enough to do .Just click the English option.
Yesterday when we were due to top it up there seemed to be some sort of strike on and the metros were shut . We were heading off to Belem so just got on the tram and took a chance . Oops.

There wasnt a great deal of nice eating choices in alfama but after trudging around we came across Senhora mae just up hill from the Se cathedral. We had a lovely meal here and lunched a couple of times too as it was so nice. We never found better so i would recommend giving it a go if you are in that area.
I've put a few pictures up in the Gallery now. Sure I did another of the tram's so might have to do that one again .
http://www.holidaytruths.tv/profile_media/lynwestie/
nice picts lyn

thanks
wizard
Obviously the person in the hotel doesn't use public transport! The directory of sales points, mostly in English but strays in parts, is at http://www.carris.pt/en/sales-network-description/ - you need to know which "parish" you are in to get the nearest, otherwise take pot luck on a colour district and find the places from a map. 7 Colinas and Via Viagem are indeed the same, they are both chargeable smart cards. No idea why they have two since either can be used for any of the charging options!
Great photos Lyn. It looked as though you had nice weather too.
Thanks peeps. Yes I would certainly recommend checking that list properly before you go. I thought there would be lots of points of sale . Down in Baixa there was an information booth selling tours, lisbon cards etc . Thought we may of been able to get one there but again she said only in the metro stations . :shrug The restuarant guy where we were having lunch said we would find a yellow booth down on commercial square but could we find it . nope .
The yellow kiosk I've used is at Praça do Figueira - don't remember seeing one at Praça do Comércio (and can't find it in the list) although that square has loads of bus routes and a sales point for the open topped tour bus and is where the ferries from the south side of the river arrive so would be logical.....
I've booked a short holiday of 4 days at Inspira Santa Marta Hotel in Lisbon and looking forward to it! I've had many friends staying there before and the reviews were great. Can't wait for the Spa in particular...
Hi

we are going to do the day trip to Lisobon when we go could you advise me what it's like? does it have loads of shops etc and do you think it is worth it? thanks :)
a day trip from where? Algarve? London airport? Cruise ship?

We've already had this question asked lower down from someone who was visiting off a cruise ship, the info given there still applies to touristy things, especially the cheap sightseeing trip using the 28E Tram. There is a shopping district in the old town but the bigger, glitzy shops are out at the Oriente centre beyond the airport. You could walk there from the airport and spend a day in the shops and at the waterfront bars and restaurants but you wouldn't see anything of Lisbon itself.

**** now the posts have been merged the previous question is before this!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.