Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
lisbon
10 Posts
How long are you going for? Weather is coolish, say 16-20 degress but it can get WET! Lisbon is a great city for historical sites but not a lot for shopping etc. The main area for visitors is the Rossio Square which is downtown from most hotels and near the river.
thank you ,stopping for 5 nights near parque eduardo v11.i gather there is a metro stop nearby (parque) which i intended using to get about.
any suggestions for places to visit,thought about estoril,cascais,sintra ?
The Rossio Placa is just down the Avenida de Liberdade from Ed. 7 Parque. It is well within walking distance, say 10 minutes. There are various trams but to look around Lisbon you can get Tram number 12 which will take you on a circular tour around the city for 1 euro 20 cents, you can pay when on board. (Watch out for pickpockets!) This is a yellow tram which you get from Rossio Placa. You will also see the red trams there which are the tourist trams. While there you may get a coach down to Algarve (various companies run these) for a cost of around 20-25 euros. this is a good day trip and will take about 3 hours to get there.
thanks dan ,much appreciated.
walking isn't a problem down to rossio,distance less than i thought.finally is that the area that is best for the nightlife/meals etc, or the bairro alto.
johnny m
Rossio, for meals definitely, there are scores of very reasonable restaurants there. Its a pedestrain only area. Take a hint and eat inside instead of the tables outside, then you wont get pestered by beggars, musicians etc. Im afraid I dont know about the nitelife, Im over 68 (GRIN) :D :D
wife and i in our 50's, so no disco's for us either dan.
weather forecast for next week does not look to good which will be a shame, last year we were lucky to have really good weather in albufeira in november. dan, any areas to avoid at night?.
thanks again
johnny m
Hello johnny m, I have been keeping an eye on this post, so as not to have to write out again, if you look on page 9 about half way down the page you will see a report (Lisbon to Algarve) I have put up a lot about things to see in the city and a great day out. Also if you go to Resort Report and look under Estoril again there is more info I have put, hope this is a help.

Dave
Avoid the Alfama area which is just east along the river from Rossio, although there are conducted walking tours. It is the only part of Lisbon which survived the earthquake, (unfortunately) and is the "working class" quarter. also the one with some crime. Try going to Lisbons most favoutite market, this is the Feirada Ladra( Thieves'Market), which springs up Mon-Sat 0900-1900 on the Campo de Santa Clara, packed with all sorts of bric-a-brac - take tram 28. It is like a giant car boot sale without the cars. I also found these which you may enjoy.
1. Amoreiras Shopping Centre is a huge shopping center which include a cinema and a myriad number of shops, bars and restaurants. Amoreiras shopping center open until late evening and even on Sundays. Amoreiras Shopping Centre is situated at Av. Eng. Duarte Pacheco
2. Centro Comercial Colombo is the biggest shopping center in Portugal, it has more than 420 shops, 60 restaurants, 10 cinemas, health center... It is open from 10-24hr. It bis situated in Avenida Lusiada, you can get there via Matro, Take the blue line -Linha Azul.
3. The big Vasco da Gama shopping center is located at the entrance to Parque das Nacoes. If you arrive by metro you will enter the park through the mall. There are many shops and restaurants.
4. There are sveral El Corte Ingels shops around the city. These will be shown on a map from the Tourist Offices.
Hope you enjoy Lisboa (Pronounced Lishboa) and Ate breve (Atay brev which means ....see you soon)
excellent , thank you very much
johnny m.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.