Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Hi Welshlass - be interested to hear how bad your friends said the building work was. A couple of mates are due to go out there soonish, so bit worried it'll be noisy, dusty, etc when they get there. Hope it works out ok for you in October!

Thanks
Hi Sadielou
Have a look at the holiday review section!
Our friends have refused a voucher offer of a substantial amount from FC and negotiations are ongoing. They were in block 1 next door to rooms being renovated.
We still have no reply from FC to our queries :x
Given up on the emails and phoned FC. We should have recieved a letter about the works with an option to cancel or change (this was apparently sent at the start of June). They are sending another, but if we cancel or change we pay current prices :evil: :evil:
When we booked about a year ago( if not more) we got a free child place and lots of discounts. These are not now available :twisted: :twisted:
Will keep you informed (if the letter ever arrives).
i go there a week on sunday no one from fc or the travel agents told me there was work going on does any one know how bad it is :?:
FC say people have been notified about the work by letter :!:
The person my husband spoke to said work was in block 1, 33 apartments at a time. This sort of agrees with some of the reviews but FC DID NOT SEEM AWARE OF THE FULL EXTENT OF THE WORKS.
many thanks soon find out to late now but they should have told us take camcorder film it and take pitures clare
Just had a call from FC regarding the works. It seems letters were produced at the start of June, but that does not mean they have been sent :!:
The feedback from the reps in resort seems to be lacking in detail and extent to the main offices of FC.
We still await the letter :!: :?:
Seen some recent reviews on the site. Has anyone anything to add about the ongoing works :?:
just come back. there is building work but you can't hear it.
the food is fine .we booked self catering then upgraded when we got there 22euros a day for adults 10 for kids and under 6 eat free.
the a team were great. pool was cold but got used to it. there is a heat wave comeing they say its going to be 42 in the shade so loads of cream because you dont feel it with the breeze.
we were in block one, they are upgrading block one so some of the rooms are done. they are very nice, we had a old room but clean. our maid came in every day she was great.
fire mountain was great but don't book with the reps go with last minute, they're cheaper .loads of nettos
Thanks for the update :)
We have finally recieved a letter about the work from FC but have decided to go as we are told to expect a room that has been refurbished :!:
We will see what happens when we contact the hotel direct a few weeks before.
I read the reviews and emailed ahead to request a refurbished room in block 3. Though they never received it I refused at reception to take the room in block one that was allocated. I simply told them I had asthma and would wait till they got me a room in block three. After 15 mins they said ok but it will be 2 hours wait, quite a lot since we had been up all night but considering it was going to be for 2 weeks it was well worth it. We finally got a room in block 3.
The room itself was fine, basic but clean. There were 2 single beds together in the bedroom with an extra single in the corner (I think it was a foldable one but it was good).The other bed was the sofa. No air conditioning so we hired a fan. You couldn't open the bedroom window at night since it opened onto the hallway.Also we were on the third floor and although there was a lift it was permanently locked, a real pain since we had a buggy.
Still, even the best hotels can get cockroaches in the first floor rooms but I wouldn't have minded being on floor 2!
The pools were lovely, pool 1 had the pool bar so it was always busier, especially since so many people were all inclusive.A word of warning though, a few broken tiles and lots of hoses lying around, health and safety here would have a field day!
The restaurant El Mitador was OK. Yes you could get the usual burgers, fries but they also did attempt to provide vegetables, salad and fruit. We went all inclusive for 4 days and frankly that was enough.You had to book a day in advance early morning to get into Los Zocos's public restaurant The Boulevard (you could do this with your all inclusive option) and it was definately worth it.
I have to mention stealing, without a doubt various members of staff were at it and quite brazenly. Please leave nothing of value out in your room or on your sunbed or even on the table in the bar. We met people who saw it happen! Also one day I went to bed after the room was cleaned (husband took kids to pool)and someone came in and exclaimed something in spanish and ran out. Earlier I had a bag from the jewellers next door and I think it was going to be swiped! They ran off but I was too slow to catch them.
Mapys the jewellers next door looks really expensive and doesn't display its prices. Go in and have a look, My husband got a gorgeous watch and I got a ring for 310 euros. Really lovely.

Night life in the Aquamarina (in house bar)depends on who you meet. I would say its mainly British people, many with England shirts, shorts etc. I really didn't realise that so many people had tatoos either! It would have been nicer had there been more of a mix of nationalities.We did meet some great people and yes they were from England, frankly they gave us probably the best nights of our holiday, shame we hadn't met them earlier (L &G if you are reading this we just about made it to the airport the last day - 2 mins before the flight closed).

Costa Teguise itself is a tourist town that is beautiful but definately past its heyday. The problem we were told was that the all inclusive deals at the hotels and apartments were killing the small local bars and restaurants. Therefore although there was plenty on the la curachas - the beach side walk itself, back off the road you could see many things closed down. Also it was quite expensive to eat out when factoring in all the drinks etc. Thats part of the reason we went all inclusive for 4 days, still wouldn't have liked to have done anymore!

The capital of Lanzarote is only 1 euro away by bus and Puerto de Carman (go there for some night life) is just 2.5 euros away If you take a cab to P de C expect to pay 20 euros or 25 after 10pm.

Shopping is really just the usual tourist stuff, many ornaments....argghhh! Barter with everyone, they expect you too! Beware the electrical shops, they would sell you a nintendo ds for examle and take the charger out of its box then charge you again for it.

The kids clubs were popular with the younger children although my children did come out of them saying they had organised burping competitions. They found it hilarious probaly because its my pet hate! The club house was terrific because it got them out of the sun for a few hours. The cookery class and the chocolate brownie class totally delighted my 6 year olf and 3 year old (who were supposed to be in different groups because of their ages but in fact the classes were held together to my delight).

Oh and there is a netto at the otherside of the jewellers which has a free air pump which means you can inflate what you buy really quickly. Also if you buy an inflatable dingy they generally have a patch for repairs in the box which everyone dumps at netto. Our dingly blew away the second day and I was able to go to nettos and rifle through 3 dumped boxes to get patches which worked brilliantly.

I was told that this week some apartments in block one that have just been refurbished and are gorgeous were being released by the builders. (An electrician we met had a look about).

In summary, we had a good holiday but only because we had a refurbished apartment. Make an effort to chat to people and it will be worth it. I saw no incidents of bullying, anomosity between any of the guests adults or children.
I don't think we would go back but glad we went!
Thanks for that :)
You sound like you enjoyed your stay even though there was work going on.
We go in Oct and it only cost about £50 or so to go AI instead of SC. Hopefully some of our fav places to eat will still be open!
Hi Spallan :wave

I'd be grateful if you'd copy your review HERE when you have time.

Many thanks :tup

Pippy :D
Hi
Everything seems to have gone quiet on this thread. Has anyone returned recently to give a quick update on the works :?:
We have recieved another letter from FC saying some of the eateries are to change in the Boulavard but we are counting the days till we get into the sun again :yipee
Hi,

i have been looking at this accomodation for next june, and i was hopeing that someone could give me an update, on the building work.

i am hopeing that by that time it will all be finished,

we have two young daughters and only get away once a year, so i always work really hard make sure i make the right choice. and the reviews that i have read upto now seem really mixed, but i think that once the work is complete everything will be fine.

we have never done AI before, but after the money we spent this year on icecream im sure that AI will be the our best option. lol

so if anyone, bring this thread update, that would be great.

Shelley :wave
Hi
Just returned. Had a great time and the refurb didn't bother us.
The works are not scheduled to finish until 2008 and if you are planning to go in the hotter months remember there is no air con!
just booked up a holiday six of us (3 couples) we are all between the age of 18 - 21 years old. have we done the right thing going here up for a laugh what youngsters do but also a relaxing holiday. are we far from nightlife... any info will be much obliged... oh were staying in apartment called los zocos is that nice feedback would be lovely thank you.
Hello kinger, I have just come back from this resort me and the wife spent the new year here, we used to walk into the resort centre some nights and found that most of the bars here have ether singers/karaoke or football on most night, don't know about night clubs as I am to old to go in any more so never went looking for them, also cannot help with your appartments. The resort is not as big as P D C but you should find a few bars you will like.
Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.