Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
the coolest area of Greece is Central Mesopotamia, the holiday resorts in that area a lumped together under the English name of Halkadiki but on average its only around 4 deg c cooler than Crete

wizard
Take a look at the Pelion, cooler than the islands, largely unspoilt and some superb beaches. If you like predominately British resorts this region may not suit, we found the majority of tourists here Greek and really enjoyed it.
We went to Lesvos twice in mid august and that wasn't too hot. They have a breeze in august can't remember what it's called though. It made it really comfortable. Some evenings I had to wear a cardigan! I hate it too hot but we have to go august due to school holidays, and it's been the coolest place i've visited. We absolutely cooked in Lefkas last year.
Halkidiki is actually one of the hottest places in greece and with it not being an island there is no breeze most of the time. It gets in the 40's in the peak of summer. Hence the fires of 2006 which spread so easily because it was scorching hot and everything was so dry. Even in May /June it is in the 30's it was 35 degrees most of last week. I have visited Islands and find Halkidki on the Mainland to be hotter.October to beginning of May However is a different story.
What about Thassos? It's the most northerly of the Greek islands so does that mean it might be a bit cooler :). It certainly was when we went last year at the beginning of June :( . Had a great time though. Definitely on my list of places to visit again.
um........ I think you mean Macedonia rather than Mesopotamia ............... and no it's not the Macedonia in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia!!!
further up may be a bit cooler but the area where the three fingers stcik out into the sea is not.
Last year end of may very beginning of June was bad with rain quite a few days all over Greece and was cooler than normal due to a bad weather stream.
the ambient temps are statisticaly 4 deg lower in chalkadiki, than crete, in AUGUST but remember they are taken in the shade and shelterd from winds,like most of the earth statistcd and weather dont always agree.

:whoops Macedonia having a brain storm

wiz
Also the temperatures are taken further north in Halkidiki and not down the bottom at the pennisulas so the temperature shows it to be cooler than it is.
We were staying in Hanioti when the fires broke out in Aug 06 and in the days before the fires it was well over 100 degs, Halkidiki in August is seriously hot.. we've been to Crete in August a couple of times and Halkidiki was easily as hot.

What about Zante/Kefalonia/Corfu/Lefkas, the average temps there seem a few degrees lower?
Thank you for all of your wonderful replies. With regret I think we are going to have to venture elsewhere and save our greek holidays for half term as its simply toooo hot. Have been looking at menorca but everywhere I look just feels like second best... I have been spoilt by greek salads and dolmides.
Ah well....another time maybe!
Any further suggestions are still gratefully received.
Ana
I have been going to Northern Greece (Thassos - Halkidiki) for 25 years and in the last 4 years I have had to go in the first 2 weeks of August.
To be honest it has not been too hot especially by the sea, we were on the Sithonia peninsular last year and the breeze off the sea made it really comfortable. Ofcourse it will be very warm but it hasn't been intolerable and I am due to go again from the 27th July - 13th August. The heatwaves of the last couple of years have been in June and July so heres hoping its the same this year!
We went to Zakynthos near the end of August one year and I didn't think it was too bad, we didn't have the air conditioning on at night. Conversely we have been to Skiathos in June and it was hotter than hell. You never can be sure. Rhodes is a windy island on one side, which makes it feel cooler, but of course you still have the same risk of burning. I think a lot of the islands in the Aegean can be windy in July and August due to the meltemi wind, so maybe one of these would be best.
santhesan wrote:
We went to Lesvos twice in mid august and that wasn't too hot. They have a breeze in august can't remember what it's called though. It made it really comfortable. Some evenings I had to wear a cardigan! I hate it too hot but we have to go august due to school holidays, and it's been the coolest place i've visited. We absolutely cooked in Lefkas last year.

Hi :wave:

Meltemi or Etesian Wind is the name of the wind that blows across the Aegean Sea.

About the Meltemi>>
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wind/The-Meltemi.htm

Naxos has a big Wind Surfing scene due the winds and a lower than average summer high temperature.

http://www.naxos-colosseo.com/naxos-island.html

Paul..
Love Greece but too hot in Aug

Just come back from western Crete having spent 4weeks hols. Weather was great and not too hot. In the 30's but with a nice gentle breeze. Evenings delightful. AND everyday sunshine! We will be back next year. :sun2
Somewhere cooler?
Have you ever heard of Pelion?
It is one of the most fabulous areas of Greece. A amazing combination between sea and mountain.
Check greeka.com/thessaly/pelion/index.htm
Hey, the first McDonalds in Greece was opened on 12 November 1991, and it was located in Athens Syntagma Sq.. At the moment Greece has 21 operating McDonalds restaurants. The number of operating McDonalds restaurants in a country is indicative of the influence of Western culture and globalization in that country. Confidus
It's important for turist?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.