DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
We always do a package but arrange our own private transfers rather than the bus. Its never 3 hours. More like 2 and 1 hour by taxi.
If you can get a cheaper DIY I would go for it. You don't need a rep. They will try to sell you trips at a much higher price than you can get locally.
I have found that the tour operators havent a clue as to the different room types.
I don't know how feasible it is for you, and where you are going, but partly why we like DIY is that we like to hire a car from the airport for the week.

Not only does this more often than not, cost little more than our transfers (being a party of 2 A & 2C), it also affords us the luxury of our own direct transfer, plus we don't have to rely on expensive trips to go and see more of the local area, whilst we are on holiday.

A big plus for us is missing out on all that waiting around and detouring from hotel pick up, to hotel pick up, on your transfer coach. And there's nothing better than arriving at the airport before the coaches descend for your return flight, and being stood at the front of the checkin queue and also thus standing a reasonable chance of finding some seating once you get airside. :D

We have alway found holiday reps to be completely useless quite honestly, and if you have a complaint all I have ever been told is 'put it in writing when you get home' :evil: And we don't miss those hard sell welcome meetings at all.

We like the flexibility of travelling independently and deciding on what flights and days suit us, what hotel suits us, what type of transfer suits us etc.

It is not always the cheapest option granted - this year we found we could book the same holiday £100 cheaper going with a package with a free child place; but the flights both ways were night flights, and I did not think that the disruption it caused to the start of the holiday, and the extra £ you would end up paying to the hotel to keep your room for a late check out, was worth it, so we booked indepedently and have the holiday WE want.

Also be extensive in your research for hotel prices because there is an enormous difference quite often from what one accommodation only provider will quote you to another (sometimes £200 - 300 difference !) for exactly the same room. Also booking direct with a hotel, in my experience, is rarely the cheapest option (though of course you should always check !) - accommodation only sites are often cheaper (my favourite is Findmeaccom.com) Do your research, and look for recommendations on this board and this goes goes for flights to...there are big savings to be made by shopping around each time you book. :wink:

Hope this helps. :)
sorry jdbybnsn but I can't agree with your remarks about reps. I do quite alot of DIY holidays but also take the occasional package when they prove cheap enough and in the place I want to be.
You are wrong to place all reps in the same category ( useless ) Have met some reps that are really friendly and willing to give a bit of local help even when you are not buying one of their trips, and yes some really rude unpleasant reps as well.
Yes of course the purpose of the welcome meeting is to get you to purchase trips but they don't tie you up and force to to buy them, you are free to leave any time and sometimes it is possible to find out something new from these meetings, it all depends on the rep,just don't tar them all with the same brush.
Please note I am not or have ever been a holiday rep & my next break may well be DIY but I may also go for a package instead if the price is right and I can satisfy myself with independent trips but some folks like the reassurance of a rep who can sometimes be useful.
Please don't think I'm getting my gran to suck eggs! I usually do DIY myself, but please remember to get sufficient travel insurance, and MEDICAL cover because Turkey is not (yet) in the EC and therefore the European Health Card does not cover you for anything.

You can buy travel insurance from most main insurers, or even from supermarkets or M&S. Please don't skimp on it.
Hovis - you are welcome to disagree - As I stated in my post , I was only talking about my personal experience and wouldn't dream of implying all reps are the same.

To state personal experience is not 'wrong' surely , same as your reply is not 'wrong' if you have 'sometimes found them useful'. :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.