Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
I must admit, we didn't book our hotel until 3 or 4 days before we went... hoping for a bargain such as this. If you want to risk it - then try doing a search on bookings.com at the last moment. Then you can see the last minute options, and cross-reference them against reviews and the map.

Just an addition though. The website told us that the room at Francisco had been reduced from €520 to €100 for the 2 nights. I doubt that very much - as I don't think anyone would have paid over €500 for the room. It was nice - but not THAT nice!

Elle xx
Hello, I am going to Madrid for a weekend break April 4th till the 7th flight and hotel booked, we are staying near the Bullring area(not that we will be going to see any bullfights) our nearest Metro is El Carman, and is about ten minutes from the Airport by taxi.
What I would like to know has anybody stayed in this area and/or know of any good Restaurants and Bars, last of all can you get two day passes for the Metro or is it best to buy say ten tickets at a time.

Cheers,
Dave.
Seen this just in time to answer! I would buy a 10 journey ticket for the Metro if I was you. It works out cheaper than the single tickets and the machines count the journeys down as you use them. I think they are valid for six months too.
Hello sue, just got back and you are right, single fare on the Metro is one euro, a ten trip ticket is six euro 30 cents so a saving of three euro 70 cents.
Had a great weekend will put a report about it later.

Dave
Hi. We love the Plaza Santa Ana area of Madrid and have stayed a few times at the great-value Hostal Lisboa around there. But I keep looking at the Reina Victoria on that square and wondering whether it's worth upgrading. Anyone got any experience?

As it happens, we're thinking of flying to Madrid, having maybe a couple of nights at the Lisboa, catching the AVE train to Seville for a week's stay, then returning to Madrid - maybe the Reina Victoria - for a couple of nights before flying home. Waddya think?
Hi all,

I am off to Madrid for a stag do in November. Can anyone give any recommendations on the easiest and cheapest way to attain 16 tickets to see Real Madrid? I have looked all over but I'm reluctant to get ripped off by some dodgy online ticket agency.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on bars and clubs? We are staying at the petit palace des londres. Anyone ever been there? If so, any good? The ages vary from 28-60 so there's plenty of people to please!
Gunnergo, Have you thought of giving Real Madrid a call? Are they playing at home the weekend you are there? If you want I'm sure I could find you a phone number.

I was in Madrid a couple of weekends back - 13 & 14 of August. It's no wonder that all the Madrileños head out of Madrid in August - it was that hot. When we arrived on Saturday night at 11PM it was still 32 degrees. On the Sunday during the afternoon it was reading 41 degrees close to the Grand Via. We didn't get to do much sightseeing because my partner just wanted to stay in places with aircon.
Riazorblue, I think that'll probably be the best bet, maybe wait till nearer the time and do that. I've also been told that waiting till I get there would be a better idea than buying them online ages in advance. Real are at home to Recreativo that weekend and they're not exactly the biggest team in La liga.
On the day we arrived in Madrid we strolled down Calle Arenal and Calle San Jeronimo, on reaching the Plaza Canaleas I suggested a drink we sat at a table at the Cervercaria Ricote and ordered a large and a small beer on paying we were charged 9.50€ this was robbery without violence. Be sure to ask for the bill and receive a ticket because I suspect the waiter. They say pickpocketing in Madrid is rife but this left a very nasty taste, and one I was not expecting.
hi,

we are looking at going to madrid at end of june and were wondering a few things.

seen loads of things on doing the real madrid stadium tour but cant find anything on atletico. i'm sure you must be able to do tours. anyone been?

also how far from madrid is valencia and is it easily reached by train?

cheers
ian
hi there we would love to go to madrid for my brother in laws 40th end of october were flying from birmingham can anyone reccomend someone cheap to go with please also the best area to go to we would like to be close to the city centre its for 6 adults 30th october from birmingham just for two nights thanks all
Will be in Madrid next week and need to get to the airport early on Sunday morning for a flight to Lanzarote.

Flight is 7:50am and check in closes at 7:10am.

I know the Metro starts at 6:05 am has anyone used it this early on a Sunday and would it get me to the airport to check in before 7:10 am?

Or would I be better with a taxi. :que
We are going to Madrid for the weekend and have booked a 2 day Tourist Travel Pass. From what I can see it looks like a little card, and it is valid for buses, metro etc.

I know this is going to sound really REALLY silly now, but I had a dream the other night that I was in the metro and it was busy... I didn't know where to put the card and there was a turnstile. The slot in it was too small for my card, yet all these people were shouting at me to hurry up. They were putting tickets in, which the machine sucked up and spat out of the other side of the turnstile after they had walked through.

Now I have visions of getting to the station for the first time and trying to waggle my pass at someone, and being shouted at! :)

Has anyone had one of these cards before, and can tell me what he heck I do with it when at the metro and on a bus? I am going to get the giggles when I get there otherwise.
Thanks
You simply put your card in the slot and it comes out the other end! It's easy - just follow everyone else! The metro isn't that crowded unless you go on it when everyone is going to work. The metro is really good and easy to use, trams are always on time and clean. We bought a pass of 10 tickets for 10 euros between the two of us and it lasted all weekend. Madrid is a lovely city and you will have a great time!

Denny
Thank you so much :) I really appreciate your reply.
I have never been away without a responsible adult before (ha ha I am 37!!) Scary! Me and my sisters decided to book this last minute break, catch a few sights, watch a motor race at Jarama, and head home. Very impulsive and not the usual me at all! I am excited.
All my life every time I have been abraod it has been with my parents and then my husband, who was a more experienced traveller. Now I am the supposed responsible one, booked flights, booked a hotel I feel all grown up! :rofl
Does anyone know what the current taxi fares from Madrid airport to the city are? We usually book transfers by coach with Resorthoppa but the price they quote for a shared transfer (43.88 per person) is considerably more than the taxi prices in various guide books.

As we will only have one mid-size suitcase plus shoulderbags is the Metro a better option anyway?
no idea about taxis.

Metro is at http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html - the good news is that at €3 from the airport (two stations, T4 and T1-2-3) to anywhere on the system it's cheap. The bad news is the line from the airport doesn't go very far so there's a fair chance you'd have to change somewhere.

T4 also has a suburban railway line that might be more convenient (but not for the other terminals). http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html -click "map and zones"

best thing is probably to get an exact address and see how close it is to a station, then work out how complicated it would be. The Metro site has a selection of maps, most suburban line stations are shown (the lines aren't) with a logo that looks like the London Congestion Zone symbol at a funny angle.
Have you had a look at a2b transfers? They're usually pretty reasonable and do operate in Madrid. I can't check prices as you need to enter your dates.
IvanM, the Metro is really really easy to use. If you can post where exactly you want to go, I am sure we can help. I always use it to get into the city. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.