Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
:)
Great review showing the bad and the good sides of your staying here.Good that u were pleased all at all and that u think u can come back again.About the fireworks and that show-on that day this was the official opening of the season and it held place in "Majestic" exactly so u had the luck to see all that:)
edit
hi
can I ask you to not post in textstyle please ( eg u instead you) :D
Fiona ht mod
About the fireworks and that show-on that day this was the official opening of the season

All should note that the season does not start until the middle of June.

This year Balkan started to fly tourists in from the 4th May, why on earth can't the season start when the first tourists arrive? It's quite miserable being there when next to nothing is open.

Peter
it might change in the future. they werent in the eu before, but now that they are, and with budget airlines going there more often and the resorts becoming more globally known this will probably change, when they realise the financial potential. :shock:
I doubt it Johnlee, EU entry will probably kill Bulgaria off as a UK tourist destination.

It's not too evident on this forum, but on another dedicated only to holidays in Bulgaria the overriding obsessions are cheap alcohol, cigarettes, and counterfeit goods. Ask yourself what happens when EU excise duties raise the prices of the first two to near UK levels, and EU law outlaws the latter.

The financial potential is limited anyway due to the unreliability of the climate and natural shortness of the season. All the flight changes this year in particular indicate a serious decline in the numbers from the UK, it's not looking good.

Those of us who know Bulgaria well have seen it before in the middle 1990s due the hotels being run down prior to privatisation, and rising prices. Things improved, prices fell, and the tourists went back.

The problem with the current situation is I can't see any way of avoiding the consequences of EU entry.

Peter
Thanks very much for your report. We stayed in the hotel last year and for a couple of reasons we find outselves going back there this year. Well anyway we had hotel rooms last time but wondered if you could give more info on the s/c studios please eg. size, layout etc. That would be very helpful thanks.
The s/c apartments were very spacious. Ours had a very large livingroom-kitchenette with dining table and a double sofa-bed (very firm though!). a bedroom with double bed and large bathroom with a shower stall. the t.v. was in the main room but we noticed on the last day there was in fact a aerial socket in the bedroom too. We can't say what the other apartments were like, but the larger ones seemed to be on the pool side of the building. The kitchen consisted of two hot plates. a microwave oven, a toaster and a small sink. The fridge was really tiny and not very efficient and no freezer compartment. Keeping more than a few ½ liter bottles cold was a problem. If we returned to the hotel we would also go for s/c again but would take the hotel breakfast option, for 2 reasons, 1st to get us up earlier :lol: and secondly give some variation that the small fridge does not allow. Hope these comments are helpful.
To Peter of York.
I don't think Bulgarias entry to the EU will have a huge effect on drink, tobaco prices or even on fake goods. We have been visiting Estonia for the past 10 years and prices there have only risen slightly in all that time dispite EU membership. Loads of fake T-shirts etc. CD's and DVD's just ask. They show you a printed list take your order and then run of to a van somewhere close by to collect them. Don't forget, fake goods are a mafia run thing and a huge money spinner for them.
HI Sommar,

Cigarettes are already scheduled to rise from around 2.60 Leva for 20 to a predicted 4 Leva in January 2008, to bring Bulgarian tobacco excise duty in line with EU directives - see HERE.

Not a great deal for Western Europeans but a huge impact for Bulgarians, who have already seen a significant percentage jump from 1.60 Leva to 2.60 in January 2006.

The impact of excise duty on their home-made rakia will also be greatly felt, as prior to January 2007, they were allowed 50 litres each tax free.

Baldur
Thanks Sommar that was very helpful. You would definately need to get up early for breakfast if you want a seat - but the food was good at that time of day.
Significant action has already been taken in Bulgaria regarding counterfeit goods, and more is likely to be taken in the future. See HERE.

In France it is illegal to possess counterfeits, not just sell or buy, and I would not be surprised if this spreads throughout the EU.

I don't think you can compare Bulgaria with Estonia. Bulgaria is very much in view being a popular European holiday destination, even if the UK market share is declining.

Peter
Ive booked for myself and 8 year old daughter to go to the Majestic Hotel in sunny beach, half board, we fly on 11th July. Does anyone have any reviews on this hotel and also how much additional spending money do you think i would need to take for snack and drinks for a week seen as we are half board.

Thanx

Rachael xx
Hi Rachael,

Lots of reviews of the Majestic in our Hotel Reviews section.

Baldur
Merged with existing topic.

luci :wave
Hi,

Just returned back from the Majestic Hotel. On arrival at 11.00 pm we requested to pay for room safes for both of our allocated rooms and we told that we would have to wait til morning betwen 9-5pm to obtain key. Which we thought was very bizarre as we had no secure place for our money etc. over night.
After breakfast we went to reception to request for the safe keys we had to complete paperwork and in the process of doing this, the hotel severed a power failure. We paid cash for the two safes and only one of the rooms received a receipt. We were asked to return to collect receipt when the power returned.
The power was off all day and the only way to get to our rooms was the stairs . 7th and 10th floor was a nightmare !!!
As we had paid for the safes we failed to go and pick up the receipt. That was the biggest mistake of our holiday. As we were checked out, reception said that the safe for one of the rooms was still outstanding . We explained the power cut situation , they went out the back to check paperwork, but still came back and said they had no record of the payment and demanded the money again.
We got the assistant manager and our tour rep involved. The assistant manager said that they run a no fee no key system at the hotel and couldn't understand how the problem has arisen. The tour rep pushed our case , but didn't get any joy. We were told that if we tried to leave without paying then the hotel has "contacts" which to us either meant that we were going to get stopped at the hotel from leaving, of worse still at the airport from leaving the country.
This situation really spoilt our holiday. We paid again for the outstanding bill and wish too make it clear to all new visitors to the hotel to keep all their receipts given , as they hotel will not give "A MONKEYS" if a problem of this nature happens again.
Also quickly, Yes the problem with the towels on sunbeds is a big thing. We witnessed people saving beds at 12.00am, 3.30 am and 5.30am
and not one pool attendant did anything about it.
Very few of the staff smiled , let alone great you and the mugging, begging and soliciting on the promenade is happening every day/night. Something we did not go on holiday to see.!!!

Only way to describe bulgaria is, brits abroad, another benidorm in the making .
Be street wise out there.
Please try other resorts in Bulgaria such as St Konstantin or Albena, I personally would avoid Golden Sands apart from the odd afternoon visit. Am I right in assuming that you stayed at Sunny Beach? If so this is not typical of the 'real' Bulgaria and I quite agree that if you wanted that kind of holiday there are plenty of other countries that can supply the same, it is quite sad the Bulgaria that so enchanted me many years ago now feels that parts of it have to provide the tourists with what they think is wanted. I have noticed that in certain places, especially over the last 18 months that service is not what it was but this is not standard and there is still plenty to enjoy in Bulgaria.
'Very few of the staff smiled , let alone great you and the mugging, begging and soliciting on the promenade is happening every day/night. Something we did not go on holiday to see.!!!'

Without being rude, what a load of rubbish. We stayed at the Majestic last year and chose it again this year for our honeymoon. It is in a beautiful location, spotlessly clean, fantastic food and the staff were great. Unfortunately some people are never happy. We did not once ever see any muggings, beatings or soliciting, I would never have chosen it as a honeymoon location otherwise and I certainly wouldn't have taken my 8 year okld daughter there.
Looking at some of the other hotels in Sunny Beach, we felt that the Majestic was definitely one of the better ones.
mollies_mum

If you haven't done so already, perhaps you would like to post a review HERE

Thanks

OMG.....I cant believe the previous review.....i was at the majestic hotel from 11th to 18th July this year and apart from my holiday to florida, bulgaria was by far the best holiday i have ever been on....and ive been on a few! All the staff were polite and smiled and spoke excellent english. The Majestic had by far the best pool area and yes unfortunately there was a problem with the sunbeds being reserved....but hey....if you cant beat them then join them.....i got up between 5.30-7.00am and reserved my beds to ensure i was able to keep an eye on my daughter in the childrens pool. As for beggars and muggings.....i was a single mum with an 8 year old girl and i never felt unsafe....you learn to ignore the 3 or so regular female beggars on the street and yes...i did head back to the hotel before it got dark "just in case" but you only need to keep your wits about you and you'll be safe after dark.....i know dodgier places in Birmingham! Im always itching to get back home 5 days into my hols but this time i packed 2 hours before having to leave my room! After arriving back in Birmingham in the early hours of saturday mornin, 6 hours later i was looking to book for next year. Bulgaria is what you make it, yes the shops are repetative selling the same goods but there's more to it than that. I went to Alucudia last year, sunny beach beats it time and time again. :sun2

Rachael xx
Hi Rachael

See my post above about posting a review if you haven't done so already.

Reviews on the forums will eventually drop off onto the next page, but the hotel review will be a permanent fixture and easy to find.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.