Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The Malaria risk in Goa is no different today than it was last year,or 5/10 years ago.We have been coming here for the past 20 years and have lived here for the past nine years and have never taken anti malaria tablets.Why do you think no locals take them,i once spoke to an eminent doctor here in Goa regarding malaria tablets on whether to take them and he said basically its the western pharmaceutical companies who were pushing the notion that they were needed.

Finally sense has prevailed.

John
Hi John.

I personally would think the responsibility of my family is made only with professional advice with the risk assessment I undergo taking into account my type of holiday activities.

My family are at greater risk of Malaria exposure and I feel it would be remiss of me to not think about the "risk" levels.

I like what the health officials state now but I think it must be made clear no health official will state without knowledge of your holiday activities say "no risk".

I agree that the Malaria risk has no doubt, as you say, changed over x amount of years. Looking at that alone suggests I will be taking tablets, as you say it's still an area where Malaria exists with the disease being reported from holiday makers.

It's a case of risk assessment. Assessment is the key word as that involves looking at all the data and that's when the risk element shows itself.

I don't hold a particular view safe or not it's more looking at the data at the time it would have a meaning for my family when entering a still "risky" area of the world.

It also would depend on first line of defence precautions.

Conversely those immune suppressed at the time of travel may have other considerations leading to risks of other factors having greater risk problems.

Hi botany bay

Thanks for the link. I did see that post and that is why I thought it may be a topic that deserved it's own heading.
We did have a sticky topic where all the information was clearly visible at the top of the forum however this was changed to being a general topic and it has now slipped down the page, it is a good idea to use the search facility and check if there is an existing topic so everything can be kept in the one topic instead of being spread over many topics and possibly getting missed or duplicated

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/malaria-mosquitoes-travel-vaccinations-and-t108999-780.html?hilit=malaria
Malaria advice for people who live in a Country is different to those who visit, you isn't recommended to be on these medications full time, however you can use them for a short period of time.

Goa isn't special the locals in Kenya do not take malaria tablets either in loads of other Country's that are malarial zones. That doesn't negate the need to use of them as holidaymakers.

The reason occassional visitors take them is it stop the chance of getting it on a two or three week visit.

(Oh and same old, same old :roll: about the big Pharma's it's not news we all know it, but it DOESNT mean their drugs are useless and have no protection value).
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
We did have a sticky topic where all the information was clearly visible at the top of the forum however this was changed to being a general topic and it has now slipped down the page, it is a good idea to use the search facility and check if there is an existing topic so everything can be kept in the one topic instead of being spread over many topics and possibly getting missed or duplicated

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/malaria-mosquitoes-travel-vaccinations-and-t108999-780.html?hilit=malaria

Sorry Kiltman

:whoops
Not a problem, if any further discussion on the topic takes places it would be great if it all be kept in one place, I think i will see about getting it made back in to a sticky at the top of the page again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.