Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We are a family of five, my partner and I are 40 & 45, kids, 16, 10 & 7, we went to Baga last Winter for the first time and of course, are total converts. We stayed at the Abalone in Arpora and travelled to Pammy's shack on the beach everyday, I can't even remember what the actual name of it was. Pammy was the owner and a star.
We are going again on November 12th here's what I need to know, on day 5, 4 of us began visiting the toilet on a regular basis complete with terrible cramps, we stopped eating in the hotel at night, changed shacks, hence our meeting of Pammy but it still carried on. Towards the end of the holiday another hotel guest told us it was the malaria tablets and that most people don't take them. We stopped and the diahorrea abated!!! Is this coincidence or has anyone else had these experiences. Obviously it didn't spoil the holiday because we are the type of people who get on with it really but life would be much nicer without! It's the only thing I'm not looking forward to about our return trip, I keep thinking what if we all end up ill again.
We are staying at the Aldeia Bello in Calangute this time - any experience of it.
Also can anyone tell us a good tailor and a jeweller many thanks
H Pat and Andy here
We are going on the same day from Gatwick at 16.30 Ido not know about malaria tablets.But I do recomend Shafi Arts near the hotel Santiago turn of in Calangute he is really good and will make anything if he can help he will. his e mail is bilalshafiarts@yahoo.com
hope this helps
jubileepat :lol: :lol:
Well, I shall just pass on some advice we have been given, which as we are first timers, have not tried and tested but were conviced by people telling us.
1. Runny tummy. A girl we know travels extensively in the far east and has had several trips to Goa. She said that she had one particularly bad trip with most of her holiday spoilt with exactly your problem. She was advised to take PROBIOTIC CAPSULES for two weeks before a trip and to continue when there. Better to take the capsuals rather than the drinks as they work lower down in the bowel. She says she has never had a problem since doing this, and also anyone she travels with who does the same has never had a 'gippy tummy'. On this advice we have ordered our supply from HEALTHSPAN on line.
2) Malaria tablets. Came across a chap at a music festival who lives in Goa every winter. He has done this for many years and he and his wife have never taken anti-malaria pills. He says the 50 or so cases last year were in the Monsoon season aquired mainly by workers on building sites in land. He is convinced prevention is better than cure. My feeling is having read many many post's on this subject is that the risk's of side effects from the pills are not worth it and we intend to go laden with aniti mosquito stuff.

We are going in December, so let us know what happens (especially with the probiotic caps if you choose to do that)
Shazzer
Depends which malaria tablets you take. We take Proguanil and Chloriquine and some people say they get sore throats with them but never known people have prolonged cramps and stuff. When I got Delhi Belly - the doctor said don't eat anything other than bananas, yoghurt, dry toast and drink only water. A couple of days and it's gone. If all else fails, the chemists in Calangute will sell you tablets for a couple of rupees that stop the flow but I don't like using chemical answers unless it's essential.
There are several threads on this site about the wisdom of malaria tablets and you take your choice. Just read what malaria does to you though - it's serious stuff and if it doesn't see you off, it will be with you for life.
The probiotic idea sounds good because it's the bacteria that make you ill. I guess if you give 'em all a boost before you go, they're ready to take on the foreigners with a bit more vigour!
Hope you have a great time and get to spend more of it away from the loo!
thanks for this advice it's much appreciated.
I think I'll go with the pro biotic capsule and the malaria tablets. I bought loads last year at a pharmacist. Still keep the advice coming
The other thing was a local told us to buy ODOMOS which is a cream or lotion anti mosquito repellant and was fantastic, they didn't go near us even on the jungle book trip. We went to Turkey in the summer, armed with our ODOMOS and everyone at a barbecue night was really badly bitten except us. It's pounds cheaper than anything you can buy over here too, so my advice on that one is just take a small bottle or tube of decent stuff for your first night in Goa and then stock up on the ODOMOS the following morning, seems to be sold everywhere
Some sound precautions to take for the avoidance of upset stomach,
dont have ice in your drinks(its usually made with tap water),peel fruit,avoid salads,shellfish,pork.make a point of eating yoghurt(natural)every day at least once. Use bottled water for brushing teeth+drinking.
As much as possible,eat only well cooked food(boiled/fried).
I spent a year in India and never once got upset stomach.
This advice may seem a hussle, but its worth it.
Hope you have a really good holiday.
Martinez
Hi ya

We have stayed in Goa a few times & no longer take malaria tablets but do take the priobotic capsuls acidopphilus & have not suffered upset stomachs. However the first year we stayed my husband was quite ill with stomach cramps etc & this was when we were taking malaria tablets. The pharmacist in Goa told us there was no need to take Malaria tablets.

Every year our friend as been ill with sweating, cramps etc & last year a doctor in Goa advised her to stop taking the Malaria tablets, he said nearly all cases of stomach cramps etc was caused by the tablets. She stopped taking the tablets & within days was OK. This year she didn't take them at all & had no problems.

Hope this helps.
AJ
Hey you guys need to be really unlucky to get malaria. I even went to Tanzania ( getting malaria here is like getting a flu for the locals) , and did not take any pills, came back in one piece. You cant have booze with malaria pills my family doctor said ; now whats a hoilday without any "spirit" .
Guess Malaria is rampant in parts of india, but not really in Goa.

Maybe i'm just lucky !!
had an interesting visit at the GP clinic last night, we had our jabs, which was just a booster this time.
When I was a nurse I used to work with the practice nurse in a local hospital, last night we got chatting about the malaria tablets - the age old inponderable. She said she'd look at the side effects for me because when she took them to go to Sri Lanka had the same effects and yes common to feel sweats and stomach cramps accompaqnied with diahorrea and vomiting sometimes. I think if it was just me I'd make the decision for myself which I have done, it's the kids really that I'm struggling with.
Anyway appreciate all the replies I love the site makes me feel closer to Goa :-)
Dear youonlyworkforholidaysandyourkidsand missus
Hi there to ya. Only a personal opinion but,mossies only attack 99.9% of the time from dusk till after sunrise,so u can use plenty of insect repelant and sensible evening attire for the kids,or send them to bed at around 5 pm wrapped in a heavy duty cling film with the air con at around +5degrees celcius..Giving them the choice might help your decision. Hoping you have a really,really good holiday.
Martinez PS, the kids too!!!!!
Hi - ionlywork4holidays, Sorry to say but the amount of people returning to the uk with Malaria is increasing - partly because we tend to travel more and also to more remote area`s - but the fact remains that it is a killer desease and if you don`t have sound reasons for not taking malaria tablets - or your kids - use them and get the local ones which might mean not starting the course before you go - but better late then never - a medical friend in Goa said to me that the malarial type of mozy is becoming more prevelent in goa - this might mean that with the increase in labour from migrants coming to goa - if they carry malaria and are then bitten it could get passed on - maybe someone will say if this could happen or not - as said the chances are slim,but not impossible. :P
i used the ones form boots in the uk when we went the first time, and was very ill when i returned home, off work for a while.

but when we went this year we bought the tablets in goa, and i had no side effects! they are much cheaper too than buying in the uk!
Its better safe than sorry, I have been going to Goa for about 6 years now and always take Paludrine & Avloclor Tablets both my husband and I have never had any side effects. Get them on the net at

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk only £1.55 a strip for a two week holiday you need 7 strips £10.85 same tablets as boots but cheaper.
I'm not usually the indecisive type (least I don't think so, well maybe I am - oh I don't know - Ha ha) This is one that's giving me sleepless nights I truly don't know what to do. I bought some malaria tablets last year when I was over there. I also still have some of the paludrine and avaclor ones left so I have all these options at my fingertips and still can't make the final choice. Got a week to decide. Keep your advice coming as I'm a firm believer in informed choice!! :?
can't have beer and mossie tablets, Goandentist ?
have to have a beer to wash them down :lol:

dle949
Malaria tablets... It's all personal, I would never like to suggest not taking them as Malaria is a killer and it only takes one of them. I've been in Goa for 11 of the last 12 months (and before that for 8 months two), as I'm here long term the cost invloved in taking any Malaria tablets for that length of time is much more than i could afford so I don't take them, I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't be good for me either... And touch wood not had a problem. However, i visited a friend in Mangalore and on the same day it was his friends funeral, she was diagnosed with Malaria just a week before... Also we had a health visitor come round during the monsoon asking if we had any migrant workers as there had recently been 2 cases of malaria near Mapusa (migrant workers). But I don't know of anyone personally who has had it. Even the children in the slum, they get fevers, but up until now I don't think there have been any cases.

So I guess if you can afford it and if it doesn't cause you any side effects then you might as well take them, otherwise, make an informed choice. If you decide not to, then DO remember to protect yourself by other methods! - Mosuito repellents, coils mosquito netting etc!
Just a quick query about innoculations. We have all had hepb/typhoid injections. However my daughter who is 15 was only given hepb as typhoid is not licensed for under 16's. Has anyone else had this problem. The nurse said the typhoid injections were a waste of time anyway and not to worry. I'm sure she's right but can' help worrying that my daughter could now be open to contract the disease.

A concerned parent :(
Hi don't know what the rule is on being allowed to have this jab or not. However one of my colleagues contracted Typhoid whilst in Bangalore and he had had the jab. So I do think you should check it out further. Having said that I have had all the jabs known to man for India and my husband has had none and never got ill (apart from too much Honey Bee)!
if, as the nurse says, thyphoid vaccine is not licenced for under 16's, theres not a lot you can do
So stop worrying and enjoy!
del949
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.