Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Morning all :)
Just wondered if any one can help out. Going to Goa in November with my missus and would like to know what jabs we will need to have before we go. As we'd like to get them organised pretty soon.

Anyone on here know which ones are required? Or where there is information of what is required?

Hi Salford,

I would consult my travel nurse and she will advise you on what jabs you need or contact your local medical centre.

T think you will need all these jabs, cant remember exactly, but i do know that most of thses jabs are now down with 1 jab.

Menengitis/Typhoid/Hepatits A/Tetanus

Hope this helps mate :D
:wave Hello Salford when you get your jabs ....be sure to go back within the 6 mths to a year and get the booster .....that way they will do you for the next 10 years .......colleen
Thanks Jambo and Colleen :)
The booster sounds like the business as well :)
I'll look when I get home this evening for the name. They cost 7 rupees per strip. We were told that if you go to the Medical Centre then they will let you have them free, but at that price I don't think it is a consideration.

Miccie
Did you manage to find the name of the one a week tablets that are available in Goa.
Thanks
Dave
Ooops sorry :? , clear went from my head, I will have a look and let you know
Does anyone know what the current situation is regarding malaria in Goa. I have just been to our local health centre to check on jabs etc and according to their records Goa is still low risk and advised that it was personal choice as to whether we took the tablets or not.
From the other thread re malaria I think that you should seriously consider taking tablets. I never do, but this Christmas will be doing so, doesn't seem worth the risk.
I read quite recently in the Goan Navhind times that this year Candolim health centre has reported is highest ever number of malaria cases. Think it was about 144. I saw our travel nurse last week and on her chart Goa was showing same risk as other parts of India and we were advised to take the tablets. I think we will just to be on the safe side.
There has been a larger than normal number of Maleria cases this year.However 99% of the cases have been migrant labourers living and working in unsanitary conditions.Goa is still a low risk area but it's personal choice whether to take tablets or not.

john
John, that is interesting - sorry to ask, but where have you come across this information?
I live here in Goa and the maleria stories on the papers everyday.The authorities are trying to make sure all the migrant labourers have medical check ups and the site owners adhere to strict hygiene regulations.

John
Have just been on a website that strongly suggests Malaria tablets.
They seem to be 'dosed' on a persons weight ,rather than age. Seeing as we who are going to Goa in November,are all over 45Kg, the recommended doseage is 150mg of Chloroquine (2 tablets weekly), and 100mg of Porguanil (sometimes known as Paludrine) and these are to be taken twice daily.

It does stipulate that all anti-malarial drugs are not 100% guaranteed, but that your chances of combating the disease should you contract it, are much,much greater, than if you haven't !!!!

It's a no-brainer to me. :idea:
I am due to go to goa on the 24th november, but will be24 weeks pregnant been told i can take chloriquine and proguanil safley but am still a little worried any body got any advice :lol: i have been to goa 4 times before but with all the talk of malaria it is a little concerning.
Hi Nicnei :D I know this is :offtop but many congratulations on the baby, lovely news. We also fly out 24 November from Gatwick and Polly5o and hubby are also on the same flight. Hope to see you over there.
(sorry cant answer the question you asked :whoops )
Hi nicnei,

From the Health Protection Agency on the combination of drugs recommended to take for this area (chloroquine plus proguanil as you have been advised)
"Both chloroquine and proguanil have been taken safely during pregnancy for many years although this combination offers insufficient protection in areas with chloroquine resistant P. falciparum. Folic acid supplements should be taken if proguanil is used in those who are pregnant or seeking to become pregnant". It's balancing that up with this, I guess also
"Malaria during pregnancy is a serious illness for both the mother and the fetus".

(The Health Protection Agency's role is to provide an integrated approach to protecting UK public health through the provision of support and advice to the NHS, local authorities, emergency services...you can look up their FAQs)

Have a great trip, and a safe one :)
Hi Guys, does anybody know the name of the weekly Malaria tablets that can be bought over the counter in most of Goa's chemists :?:

Thank you :D
Jambo, the ones I have bought in Goa are Chloroquine. I think it is recommended that you take Proguanil too, but don't know if they sell those in Goa.
Chroloquine, trade name Avoclor (which is taken weekly) plus proguanil, trade name Paludrine (two daily) are both needed for the area. You should start taking a week before you visit. Speak to a pharmacist here for further advice.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.