Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We're definately taking the tablets this time, when we spoke with a friend of ours in Goa recently even he recommended that we took the tablets, which I was grateful for as it convinced OH of the need.
Hi All...

I found an article on How Stuff Works about Mosquitos and thought you might be interested....

http://science.howstuffworks.com/mosquito.htm

Also how to 'trap' mosquitos...

http://home.howstuffworks.com/mosquito-magnet.htm

Perhaps this could go in Usefull Info too?
Hi Guys, we started taking 1 a week tablets last year bought in calangute, we have just started taking them last sunday before we arrive 31 oct. they are chlorquine phosphate 7 rups each. hey rob have you used these ?? beers on me next time we meet at adolphs only one mind haha, paul
Have ordered mine, going for 3 weeks 3rd November - cost is £96.40 :yikes
That is a lot of money Roxey! How many people was that for? We are going on the 3rd for 3 weeks as well and for me and my hubbie I paid £38.
We are going for 2 weeks on Friday and for me and OH it cost £108, and that was with discount!!!!! I think it depends on your local health authority. Oh, and forgot, plus £22 for the private prescription!
Gill
I brought ours over the internet.
£108 :o Rogietlegs what have you bought?

Me and the missus ended up spending £25:
http://www.travelpharm.com/index.cfm/malaria/Products.Details/product_id/9/subject/paludrine_avloclor_xa31260_per_pack_7_strips_free_postage

We got tablets with both Proguanil and Chloroquine in them. Had to buy 2 boxes, as each box last you for 7 weeks (7 strips). But they recommend you have 1 strip the week before you go away, then a strip per week you are away, and then a strip a week for 4 weeks upon your return. So for a 2 week holiday you need a box of 7 strips @ £12.60 (free delivery).

So to find people are paying over £100 to buy something similar from their own doctors on the face of it, sounds insane.
That is what we have Salford.

Can anyone tell me, those that feel unwell from the anti-malerials, do you feel unwell straight away or is it more of an accumulative effect?

We've been taking them a fews days and so far so good. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Rogielegs, were you prescribed Malarone?

Like Salford, I bought my Proguanil and Chloroquine from travelpharm. They were the cheapest we could find and they arrived the next working day.
raving_pixie I thought at first it was a reply to the £108, and thought that you'd spent £80 more than me for the exact same thing. Phew :lol:
In belfast we have a place you can get them for £10 ...thats the best price I have seen them at yet......colleen
I had all my jabs updated today .........ouch :lol: I am now okay for tetanus, polio, diptheria and typhoid.
Yes this was for the new malarone. We start taking them 2 days before we arrive and continue taking them for 7 days after we come back. One tab a day. Will look at alternatives for our next visit.
Gill
Just wondering if most people take these when going to Goa, I was going to until I heard from a few friends that had been and said they had made them ill. Others have said they've been and not taken them and that you don't need to unless you're intending to go into the jungle which we're not. We're staying in Baga, do you think we'll be ok not taking them as we don't want to be ill before and on holiday! Also how long before we go to we have to get the jabs? Thanks
I was worried the tablets might make me feel ill but was strongly advised to take them.

We've been on them for a week now and both me and my husband feel fine, so far so good.
Hi RP! I recognise your name from HF! How long before going away should we take the tablets? Also do you get them from the GP or the net?
Bunny, i dont think anyone can advise you not to take them,you need to read up more on subject and make your own mind up,i dont take them for my own reasons,but i would not advise anyone not to take them it only takes one bite.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.