Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I have some Chloroquine & Proquanil tablets over from my last visit to Goa there are enough to cover the week before
we go but that is all, will I be able to buy the rest that I will need in or around Candolim.

Thanks
The Preacher
Preacher, yes you can. We always bring a weeks supply back with us to take before our next trip and then buy more when we get out there.

Great post about Malaria. It is rare for us to have a reaction and if we do it is just a feeling of going off our food for a day or so, having said that I was in bed for a day this time, but the first time i can say I have been ill in 12 visits. Will still take them next trip.
Can you get it in Candolim? Not the tablets, it's for our son.

Or any other chloroquine based syrup?

Fritz
Can't answer on whether you can get it there but just thought I would give you some information on the syrup. Not sure how old your son is, but we got it for our 6yr old to go the Domincan and in the end he really could not stomach the amount he had to take (it was 3 syringes full for his age) so we ended up crushing one Avloclor tablet in a yogurt for him and he found this much more palatable. The reason we got the syrup was because he has never took a tablet in his life, probably the same for most kids his age or younger but in the end that is what he took. Maybe you could do this?
Dragon07 was telling me the other day that a friend of his daughters left Goa a few weeks ago and once home devellpoed a 'cold'... she died shortly afterwards!! yes malaria... very sad
chilly
it was my daughters ,next door neighbors sister,got home developed a cold went to doctor was told it was flu(yes she told him she had been in Goa)given paracetemol told to keep warm etc,it was actualy malaria she died saturday,my daughter rang me sunday in a panic in case me or her mother were ill or taking anti malarials :yikes
just as a matter of interest if you use Boots chemist,thiere magazine this month (free),it has an interesting article concerning malaria
Just been to get prescription from chemist they wanted £150.84p for 2 people tablets Shockin!! But said they have the same thats not on private prescription thats £30.00 Is this safe?? any help please xx
Buy the tablets when you get to Goa. They are so cheap at any chemist, we have been 10 times and always buy the tablets in Goa. I think, if memory is right, about £2 at the most, one tablet a week and one a week for two weeks when you get home.
What has the doctor prescribed?

Personally I wouldn't buy them in Goa for two reasons, you need protection on arrival and secondly, do you really know what you are buying?

IMHO, there are two main types of Malaria tablets for Goa. Malarone and the Paludrine/Avloclor Travel Pack.

Please read about both as both have side effects. The most popular tablets (mainly due to price) are the Paludrine/Avloclor Travel Pack. The pack is 112 tablets which start a week before travelling and four weeks after you return...yeh it's a pain but much better option than getting Malaria!!

Brennans Pharmacy has them on special offer at the moment @ £9.95 a pack per person....just got mine.
http://www.brennanspharmacy.co.uk/Product.aspx?pid=46&pc=0
I agree with Ian, not worth risking your health, my Dr gives me doxycycline as I get a bit sick with the paludrine ones, I take one a day 2 days before I go then one every day of the holiday and 2 weeks after, they are cheaper than the paludrine as well.
Always buy ours in Goa and bring enough home with us to start before the next holiday!The saving buys quite a bit of Honeybee :cheers
doxycyclin causes problems for some people apparently as their skin reacts with the sun when they take it. As my o/h is a sunworshipper we have decided not to risk it.
I agree with Ian that as the Paludrine and Avloclor tablets are so cheap here in the UK it's better to buy here knowing they are genuine. I paid about £20 for sufficient tablets for two of us for a month. Better to buy them separately than in those travel packs that have both in.
cheers Dave
as their skin reacts with the sun when they take it

Doxycycline is actually an antibiotic, and is often prescribed as such. All the normal caveats about antibiotics should apply - you do not want to help create antibiotic resistant bugs of any type.
So maybe a normal anti-malarial is safer. Always, always, talk to your GP before travel.

Also it's all true about the sun sensitivity side effects. I'm normally a mad dog Englishman who spends a lot of time in the Goan mid-day sun without seriously ill-effects.
However, back in 2008 when I'd been prescribed Doxycycline by my GP for a nasty infection, I went to Mexico in December, and instantly turned lobster red, even though it was very cloudy weather.

And - if taking doxycylcine do read the leaflet and be aware that you need to be vertical after taking them - never horizontal. So taking at bedtime isn't a good idea.
Have always taken the Paludrine/Avloclor Travel Packs (Proguanil Hydrochloride/Chloroquine Phosphate) in the past as advised by our GP. When in goa last year we got some Chloroquine Phosphate tablets from the chemist for our next trip (7rupees/10) but was told that Proguanil Hydrochloride are not available in goa.

Can anyone confirm that they have been able to obtain both tablets in goa :cheers
Silentman both chloroquine and Proguanil are and always have been readily available in Goa,whoever told you different is sadly misinformed
dragon07 wrote:
Silentman both chloroquine and Proguanil are and always have been readily available in Goa,whoever told you different is sadly misinformed

Thanks will try again this year :tup
We always buy both every year and bring back extra to take the week before we travel, have just started taking them for our next trip at the end of this week.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.