Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We bought Malaria tablets last year from this country, bitten quite a few times in our first week in the nights staying in Baga and Calangute(in late January early February) Did not get bitten once in the jungle spent 4 days 3 nights there. Going back in 3 weeks bought tablets last time in Goa for this visit. Only cost about £3 each and only need to be taken once a week. I had no side effects from tablets bought here hope I can say the same about the tablets I bought there. Even if you take anti-malaria tablets make sure you get decent repellant, we bought 2 types out there one was I believe Odomos and I can't remember the name of the other one(though it seemed to be more effective) all I remember was it smelled like citreonella.
is odomos the repellant that you plug in?? weve been advised that we should get repellants for the hotel room i take it they are available over in goa
My GP told us to go to our local chemist who made a phone call to double check what tabs we should get, we were given Paludrine/Avlotor and it cost £15 each for a seven week supply.
My sons just been advised to take MALERONE which is £60 because he wants to travel about abit in Goa.
hi dunk we have used odomos and it came as a tube of cream to be applid to the skin the plug ins we used were called all out i think , we also used coils that you burn , all available in goa
thanks for moving my thread over - i hadnt seen this when i 1st posted! just spent the last couple of hours skimming every single 28 pages lol!
malarone def sounds the best, expensive tho & the hassle of getting a GPs prescription note:?
Has also made me aware of insect repellant etc tho, i noticed a post about garlic capsules - rung a bell that a friend told me that insects dont attack the locals as they eat a lot of garlic and spicy food and so to eat that approx 2 weeks before going, would garlic capsules help instead as apart from garlic bread i cant say im that keen on garlic lol!
garlic capsules definitely work :D
Thanks, how long before i go should i start taking them? :D
2 weeks anyway- if I remember I start 3-4 weeks beforehand.
Malaria risk heightened in Jamaica and Goa

Agents and operators are being urged to highlight a heightened risk of malaria to clients travelling to Jamaica and Goa.

The National Travel Health Network and Centre has issued an update about malaria in both destinations on its website.

It said Jamaica's Ministry of Health has heightened malaria surveillance and introduced control measures after reports of a case of plasmodium falciparum malaria in a resident of Kingston, Jamaica - the second case to be reported in this area in the last few weeks.

An outbreak, which was first reported in Kingston in December 2006 and involved 370 cases, was thought to have been subsiding.

Although malaria prevention tablets are not recommended, travellers to Jamaica, in particular to the Kingston area, should be aware of the possible risk and protect themselves against evening and night-time biting mosquitoes.

Meanwhile, there has been a rise in malaria among residents in Goa in the first six months of 2007 with 788 cases compared to 240 during the same period in 2006.

There has also been a cluster of malaria cases among UK travellers who visited Goa between December 2006 and March 2007 and cases of other European travellers as recently as August.

Agents were urged to recommend malaria prevention tablets for travellers visiting Goa, particularly those visiting areas north of Panaji and those who will be remote from medical care

A spokesman for ABTA said: "Under our Code of Conduct, members need to inform clients of health requirements that are compulsory for the journeys to be undertaken, and also advise clients travelling abroad to check recommended practice with their GP, practice nurse, or travel health clinic."

For full details go to http://nathnac.org/pro/clinical_updates/index.htm

With permission from Travelmole
Garlic tablets :shock: I'm not a lover of the taste or smell of garlic, can you taste or smell the garlic if you have the tablets? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question as well :)
Do people still use that avon skin so soft stuff to keep the mozzies away?
i have some odourless tablets i bought from Holland & Barrett, they dont smell or taste of garlic :D
jungle formula and vit b tablets only had 2 bites in 10 visits!! :D
For those that are trying to get hold of Malarone in Goa, I've checked out that it's the trade name for Proguanil - 100 mg with Atoveaquone 250 mg. So maybe ask in a chemist over there if they have anything which is made up of these 2, as maybe its just the trade name that's different? No idea if they will or not, but just a thought! :?:
I take anti-malarial tablets, vitamin b supplements, garlic tablets and wear the jungle strength roll on gel anti-mossie stuff. I also take a small pot of Marmite with me and have that on my toast in the mornings.

I was thinking of taking a bee-keepers hat with me, but I cannot get a bag to match!!!

Touchwood, in the nine years I have been travelling to Goa, I have never been bitten by a mozzie. I think it is probably because with all the stuff I eat, tablets I take and stuff I smear on, not even the o.h. wants to get close to me (not such a bad thing at my age when several G&Ts are enough to keep me happy). :wink:
marmite? Does that stop them going nr you too then? :?: :lol:
Have taken progunil and chloroquine before but felt really sick, wasn't sure which one it was that caused that, and not keen to take again. Haven't taken aything last 2 times but feel I ought to this time when I go in 3 weeks time. Have read that malarone is meant to be well tollerate with few side effects, but having read up on it, they sound as bad as anything else.
Has anyone got any experence of these? I know they are not the first line treatment but surely better than nothing :wink:
Had also thought about possibility of taking doxycline as alternative, any experts out there :?:
Can make you suceptible to sunburn (more photosensitive). Suggest you speak to your GP's surgery for the right advice and/or a pharmacist. You need the best (and most up-to-date) prevention for you and the area you're visiting.
I take vitamin b supplements, garlic tablets, I also take a small pot of Marmite with me and have that on my toast in the mornings.

Dispelling the myths about malaria - Myths

The malaria parasite found in India is chloroquine resistant. :shock:
Check map here

Have taken progunil and chloroquine before but felt really sick

So you are using the wrong drug. :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.